The Student Room Group

Can you british people explain what "banter" means ?

I see it thrown around a lot by you brits...
What the hell does it mean ???

Scroll to see replies

Banter is banter. There is no other way to describe it. Its like 'cheeky nandos'. If you don't know, you don't know :tongue:
Reply 2
having a laugh, messing around etc
Having the pure craic.
Reply 4
"The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks"

Teasing remarks means sexual remarks, in my experience...
(edited 8 years ago)
Having a laugh really

From Google "The playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Basically you go buy your white nike air max for £95 and call your mates, asking if they want a cheeky nandos; then you go to nandos and get a cheeky hot burger with spicy chips and unlimited coke for £2.50, having some gr8 banter with the lads init.
Original post by shawtyb
having a laugh, messing around etc

Yes, but "having a laugh, messing around" is not always banter - sometimes it can turn out to be shanter :lol:
Reply 8
Original post by Weedeater.
Yes, but "having a laugh, messing around" is not always banter - sometimes it can turn out to be shanter :lol:

oh god lol
Original post by vintagegate
I see it thrown around a lot by you brits...
What the hell does it mean ???

Banters banter
Original post by Mayhem™
Basically you go buy your white nike air max for £95 and call your mates, asking if they want a cheeky nandos; then you go to nandos and get a cheeky hot burger with spicy chips and unlimited coke for £2.50, having some gr8 banter with the lads init.

"cheeky nandos" is one of those phrases I get but kinda dont get at the same time.

Because i understand the use of the word "cheeky" in this context, is a bit like "I took a cheeky swig of Nick's pint while his back was turned", but I never really got what it is that makes going to Nandos cheeky
Original post by Weedeater.
"cheeky nandos" is one of those phrases I get but kinda dont get at the same time.

Because i understand the use of the word "cheeky" in this context, is a bit like "I took a cheeky swig of Nick's pint while his back was turned", but I never really got what it is that makes going to Nandos cheeky

you have to go with the lads and have those trendy sneakers init
Original post by Mayhem™
you have to go with the lads and have those trendy sneakers init

quite like my air maxs!
Reply 13
Mate it's hard to explain, but I'll try yeah?

Right, look, one day you'll just be having a cheeky Nandos with the lads in town and your mate called Smithy will come out with something that's just so banterous. And you'll be like 'oi Smithy you're a ledge, the true Archbishop of Banterbury' and all the lads join in with the top quality banter, init.
Basically people act like complete ********s and then claim 'it's banter' and that therefore means they should avoid any repercussions because anyone complaining 'can't take a joke'.
Well you see, in the year 1865, the Archbishop of Banterbury decided to go back in time to the late Cretaceous period, where he came across a Bantersaurus Rex. Now this Bantersaurus Rex was actually really a timid old dinosaur; I guess you could say that it was quite a banticlimatic moment for the Archbishop. So, he got bored and went forward in time again. Unfortunately, he ended up in Bantanamo Bay.

He got home soon though.
Reply 16
Original post by elen90
Mate it's hard to explain, but I'll try yeah?

Right, look, one day you'll just be having a cheeky Nandos with the lads in town and your mate called Smithy will come out with something that's just so banterous. And you'll be like 'oi Smithy you're a ledge, the true Archbishop of Banterbury' and all the lads join in with the top quality banter, init.

Too much britishness there for me lol...
Original post by longshot100
Making jokes towards each other
lighthearted funny topics/ gossip
literal LOL OMFG I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING moments

examples
"Mate, I saw you checking out Mr Smith in lesson"
"Urgh, Wtf are you on about, you f***ing r***rd, I'll slap you"
"Relax, it's just banter"

"What if the chicken at Nando's is actually made by Los Pollos Hermanos?"
"... AND Mr O'Neill is Gus!!!"
"which means that Mr Smith would be Walter!"
"so Nando's chicken is made from meth?! No wonder it's so good!!"
... continue making puns and jokes that only you and your friends would get...
"Oh my god, that was pure banter, I can't stop laughing"

I'm going to stop now, before this post gets too banterlicious

someone has been watching breaking bad lmao
Reply 18
Original post by Mayhem™

While reading your story I imagine a rough british dude from Liverpool that looks like Jason Statham with Adidas tracksuit lol...
Original post by longshot100
doesn't help that I actually saw a Gus look-alike recently:bong:

loved that show

Quick Reply

Latest