The Student Room Group

Would you replace a homosexual gene in your child if given the choice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by joey11223
The first part was more aimed at you personally, could you say at what age you made that decision on your sexuality?

13-14
Original post by *Stefan*
What a wrong example. Firstly, black hair is not the default in humans, hence there are blond and red haired people. Your example is grossly incomparable. If you believe dying your hair is the same as choosing a sexuality, I'm afraid this discussion is long lost. In doing so, you're implying that you can change your sexuality whenever you want. So, let me ask you, can you choose to be homosexual now? As in, be attracted to men rather than women right this instant? Thought so...

Black hair was the default in me when I was born, if I changed it it would be a conscious decision. What this proves is that, just because something is a default, does not necessarily mean that all alternatives are also defaults.

Otherwise, if you disagree; suppose heterosexuality is a default. What is your logically watertight proof that homosexuality is also therefore a default, and that a conscious decision in this regard is impossible?

What?!? Those who would not alter their child's sexuality aren't doing it because they want their child to he gay - they're doing it because the accept their child for what it is. Who in their right mind would choose to be gay in Syria and risk being thrown off high buildings?!

Those who believe, like many on this thread, that the risk of persecution is not a good enough reason to avoid homosexuality (if that is possible).

Regardless, you should respect people the same even if they consciously chose to be gay. It's non of your business what they do with their lives.

Why do you feel the need to tell me this?
Original post by Gavin2016
So if the doctors told you that your son due to be born would be homosexual as he had a dominant gene for homosexuality. Would you replace that gene with another of yours (a straight version) if given the choice by doctors to stop your child becoming homosexual later in life? Hypothetical situation of course.

No way. By modifying the genes, you are ultimately trying to prevent your child from being different. Everyone has their little quirks which makes everyone unique. I believe that the same social and ethnic issues with cloning apply for this too. Why would you want to change to be 'perfect'?
Original post by cherryred90s
How would you answer if the thread asked 'if you had to choose your child's sexuality, what would you choose?'

If I had to choose something for them, I would pick bi/pansexual so they fall in love with people regardless of gender
Original post by tazarooni89
Black hair was the default in me when I was born, if I changed it it would be a conscious decision. What this proves is that, just because something is a default, does not necessarily mean that all alternatives are also defaults.

Again, futile points after futile points. We're talking about a mass of people, not you yourself or any other person on his/her own. If you talk about one person individually who is straight, obviously heterosexuality is his default, don't you think?

Nonetheless, you said heterosexuality is the default for everyone, and then gave the "black hair" point as a comparable example. You then said the former is true for everyone, but -when I said the latter is not true, as many hair colours exist- you said it's only true for you. See how easily your point has fallen? It's both invalid and incomparable.

Otherwise, if you disagree; suppose heterosexuality is a default. What is your logically watertight proof that homosexuality is also therefore a default, and that a conscious decision in this regard is impossible?

Wait, where did you provide proof that heterosexuality is the default? You simply said so, without providing any proof whatsoever...

But again, you're missing the point; I didn't say homosexuality is the default - I used it to reflect your own original argument that heterosexuality is the default. You think I'm making this argument here when I'm not - I'm simply challenging your own superficial view.

Still, do enlighten me; can you change your own sexuality right this instant? Can you "become" gay, and think that you love guys and have sex with them? Surely it's easy...?

Those who believe, like many on this thread, that the risk of persecution is not a good enough reason to avoid homosexuality (if that is possible).

Believe what? It's a simple point. People are literally being harassed or even killed because of whom they like. What makes you think that, given the choice, they wouldn't become straight and live happy lives?

Why do you feel the need to tell me this?

It's a generic point about how irrelevant homosexuality being a choice or not is...
(edited 8 years ago)
151 said yes; shameful :unimpressed:
The big 300, never thought they were that many people that use this forum, amazing. Think when John Barrowman was looking into where his gayness came from on a TV thing about him it was looked like it was genetic, he had a brother that was straight but different genes, apparently.
Original post by Craig1998
What do you mean 'constant pain'?

Depends on the illness, some are highly debilitating either mentally or physically. I meant the traditional sort of pain as in ow this sh!t hurts but i suppose extreme 'mental pain' or suffering would classify also however this is a less easy phenomenon to predict, Stephen Hawking and that Comedian woman (forget her name) rock their illnesses as if they didnt matter but it makes some depressed and reduces their quality of life drastically.
Original post by *Stefan*
Again, futile points after futile points. We're talking about a mass of people, not you yourself or any other person on his/her own. If you talk about one person individually who is straight, obviously heterosexuality is his default, don't you think?

Nonetheless, you said heterosexuality is the default for everyone, and then gave the "black hair" point as a comparable example. You then said the former is true for everyone, but -when I said the latter is not true, as many hair colours exist- you said it's only true for you. See how easily your point has fallen? It's both invalid and incomparable.

Wait, where did you provide proof that heterosexuality is the default? You simply said so, without providing any proof whatsoever...

But again, you're missing the point; I didn't say homosexuality is the default - I used it to reflect your own original argument that heterosexuality is the default. You think I'm making this argument here when I'm not - I'm simply challenging your own superficial view.

When did I say heterosexuality is the default for everyone?

Perhaps you're misunderstanding my point. I am simply saying this: of homosexuality and heterosexuality, if one is a default, it doesn't necessarily mean the other is. And if one is a conscious choice, it doesn't necessarily mean the other is. One thing being a choice and the other being default is not an impossibility.

So previously, when a poster claimed that homosexuality is a conscious choice, whether he is right or not, I don't think it is a valid response to say "when did you choose heterosexuality then". This unnecessarily assumes that if one is a choice, the other must also be. I don't agree with this logic.

Still, do enlighten me; can you change your own sexuality right this instant? Can you "become" gay, and think that you love guys and have sex with them? Surely it's easy...?

I have no idea, I've never tried and I don't particularly intend to.

Believe what? It's a simple point. People are literally being harassed or even killed because of whom they like. What makes you think that, given the choice, they wouldn't become straight and live happy lives?

Well I would agree, certainly if I had the choice I would select heterosexuality. But apparently not everyone thinks like that. There are so many people on this thread alone who think the risk of persecution is not a good reason to avoid homosexuality (presumably because they think it's society that needs to change to suit them, not vice-versa).

It's a generic point about how irrelevant homosexuality being a choice or not is...

I'm personally not too concerned with whether it's a choice or not, or whether it's relevant or not. I just pointed out a faulty piece of logic when I saw it.
When did I say heterosexuality is the default for everyone?

Perhaps you're misunderstanding my point. I am simply saying this: of homosexuality and heterosexuality, if one is a default, it doesn't necessarily mean the other is. And if one is a conscious choice, it doesn't necessarily mean the other is. One thing being a choice and the other being default is not an impossibility.

If you ask someone who is heterosexual, did they choose to be heterosexual, I'm pretty sure you'd get the response 'no'. If you asked someone who is homosexual, did they choose to be homosexual, again I'm pretty sure you'd get a no. If you continued to apply this to other sexualities, I'm sure the answer would be no different. Yes there might be a small number of outliers who claim it to be a choice, but overall the response would be no. Given that, I don't see the point you are trying to make - why do you need to question if all sexualities are default, surely the answers you'd get from asking people should be evidence enough. I'd argue there is nothing wrong with the assumption that sexuality isn't a conscious choice.
I find this a really interesting question. Some genes you definitely would change without question, should as genes that predispose you to illnesses. We're already doing that to an extent now - you can get your foetus genetically screened for certain hereditary diseases and then choose whether or not you want to continue the pregnancy. The era of designer babies won't be far off with the advances we're making in genetics, either, so questions similar to this will start to arise. Other genes though (if they existed in the simplistic sense that the OP poses his questions), wouldn't be as black and white, especially when it comes to things such as personality, interests, orientation. even when the society they live in frown upon the resulting behaviour/traits etc. This one in particular, will almost certainly always be hypothetical, as sexual orientation in humans very much seems to have both significant genetic and environmental factors.

Would I? It depends where I lived. If my child was to grow up in a place where homophobia is rampant, then yes, I would probably change the gene. I think that it would be unfair to a person to bring them into the world with a perceived disability by the society they live in. If we lived in a more liberal region, then no, I wouldn't change the gene. That's my initial thoughts on the matter, but I'm open to change my mind if someone brings to the table a convincing argument otherwise.
(edited 8 years ago)
No. I'd rather have a gay child who was happy. Sexuality doesn't bother me. As long my child is happy, that's all that matters.
Original post by Tiger Rag
No. I'd rather have a gay child who was happy. Sexuality doesn't bother me. As long my child is happy, that's all that matters.

couldn't a hetro child be happy also?
Original post by holiday_agent
No way. By modifying the genes, you are ultimately trying to prevent your child from being different. Everyone has their little quirks which makes everyone unique. I believe that the same social and ethnic issues with cloning apply for this too. Why would you want to change to be 'perfect'?

To get an easy life lol, or at least an easier one. Can't think that being gay is an easy life. I guess its whether you want your kid to grow up liking women or men, I think many men would prefer their kid to be destined for the former if a boy.
At any rate, depending on how things go, I may decide not to actually have biological kids but hey that's all up in the air for the time being
Original post by k4l397
If you ask someone who is heterosexual, did they choose to be heterosexual, I'm pretty sure you'd get the response 'no'. If you asked someone who is homosexual, did they choose to be homosexual, again I'm pretty sure you'd get a no. If you continued to apply this to other sexualities, I'm sure the answer would be no different. Yes there might be a small number of outliers who claim it to be a choice, but overall the response would be no. Given that, I don't see the point you are trying to make - why do you need to question if all sexualities are default, surely the answers you'd get from asking people should be evidence enough. I'd argue there is nothing wrong with the assumption that sexuality isn't a conscious choice.

I don't disagree with your point here.

I simply disagree with the logic "If homosexuality is a conscious choice, then heterosexuality must also be", which is commonly used to counter the claim that homosexuality is a choice.

I don't actually care whether it's a choice or not. I'm just more interested in valid arguments.
Yes, I would. Because I think that it is easier in today's society for someone to be heterosexual than homosexual.
Yes I definitely would.

I'm not homophobic in the slightest. But it would save my child a fair amount of suffering. It takes a strong person to not endure some form of internal suffering when first realising they are homosexual. It takes strength in terms of coping with your internal conflicts, peer conflicts, and concern for how your family would think of you. Even if you did have a supportive family, I can imagine homosexuals still harbour a lot of worry about telling their loved ones the truth.

So yes I would, only to make my kids life easy and by extension my own life :tongue:
I imagine the same type of liberal mentality would allow half this threads commenters to allow their children to live with down's syndrome, it's not your choice to make right?...

Life will be difficult for them, they will be viewed as Lepers even among some societies in the developed world, wait, what am I describing? Homosexuality or Down's syndrome? I would have no problems with a gay child, but I don't think it is the optimal life for a child in today's society to live that way, maybe in the next hundred years perhaps. I think parents should always aim for what's optimal for their child.
(edited 8 years ago)
90% of people in this thread are so deluded, as if being homosexual is difficult :lol:

As Milo says, "us gay people get away with murder because nobody is allowed to speak badly of us".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending