The Student Room Group

Any Tories care to defend this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infairverona
I haven't seen a story so far where other factors haven't had a huge impact on how the person died. A lot of these people were already mentally ill and doctors or coroners say the cut in benefits 'triggered' them - I don't know how familiar you are with mental health, but 'triggers' are not the cause of the death in that case. Anorexic people for example are 'triggered' by people talking about what diet they are on, and this can cause their illness to get worse, but that's the illness - it's not the fault of the person talking about their diet. It's still the fault of the mental illness itself, and anyone with mental health issues can be triggered by various things. Someone who has depression, with one of the most common symptoms being a feeling of helplessness or like there's no way out, will obviously find a cut in their benefits more sensitive than someone who is not depressed. They may be triggered by having their benefits cut, but their illness has killed them, not the benefits cut.

And some of them like take David Clapson in that article: "They included David Clapson, 59, a former soldier from Stevenage. He was a diabetic who was found dead in his home last July after his benefits were slashed and he did not apply for hardship payments." Why didn't he? Take some responsibility for yourself if you're on welfare, people aren't going to come round ladling it out to you.

So far I haven't seen a single news story that has convinced me of a direct correlation between benefit cuts and death. There are always other factors or mental illness involved.

You seem to be stringing up a strawman there.

Of course you won't see any news story about benefit cuts killing anybody because benefit cuts is not a physical entity. It doesn't morph itself into a rock and smash you over the head with it, although I understand it is metaphorically similar.

The taking away of benefits leads to instability and it is this instability, which can manifest itself in various ways, which leads to the loss of life.

Take the example of Luke Loy, who suffered from schizo and was on benefits for over 20 years, when soon after his benefits were cut, decided to kill himself.

You want to support a policy that leads to people killing themselves? Own up to the effects instead of living in denial.
Original post by Squirrel777
No it is not ok. The lords should be scrapped, every Tory, Labour and Liberal democrat who sits in there. Even if it was on a policy I supported I would still oppose their ruling as democratic process sits in my top 3 most important policies (which is why I have always been opposed to the idea of the EU and the lords), you will never find support from me to the lords.

If the HoL is to be scrapped, what should replace it?
The guys hilarious, people get these disability payments at a higher rate than the unemployed for a simple reason.

They can't work!

Why can't you get that through your head?

Unemployment benefit is supposed to keep you alive whilst looking for work to put it bluntly.

Pensions and disability benefits are supposed to be so you can live your life as full as you can.

It's all about the principal of who can and can't work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheArtofProtest
If the HoL is to be scrapped, what should replace it?

Why should it be replaced? The HoL has the power to overrule policy, I don't think that is right. Only elected bodies dictate policy. Independent bodies have the right to assess policy and make a request for any recommedned changes, but as far as changing policy, no independent body should have that power. It contradicts the whole purpose of a democracy. If we do not like the Tories, we vote them out, simple. That's how democracy works. Not a body which is fixed.
This is subjective depending on what use you consider the lords to be. I believe a democratically elected government (based on a system democratically voted for in a referendum a few years ago) should have the policy they proposed passed in government. Since no one voted for the representatives of the lords they have no right to dictate the policy of a democratic system of governence.

But that's ill-considered. What you have ended up advocating is that we don't need Parliament whatsoever - we just give Cameron personally dictatorial powers for a five-year term. After all, he won the election, so what business does anyone have in obstructing him? Right?

Basically, the only reason these Lords defeats matter is because it invites the Commons to think again. The Lords aren't vetoing - they are highlighting. If the Commons re-reviews and insists it is content, then the Lords, usually, concedes. If the Commons backs down, it's always because the Government feels it doesn't have support in the Commons to overrule the Lords. So there's nothing undemocratic occurring here.

I don't see any ramifications of removing the lords. Please list them. There are many functional governments managing just fine without an unelected body.

They tend to be quite small countries though. When they get to be as large and as complex the UK, a second chamber is generally needed.

Seeing as the Commons has a very bad habit of passing poor legislation, it's necessary for the Upper House to sort out their mess. I encourage you to look at the work of the Secondary Legislation Scrutiny Committee for some rich examples.

On the topic of the EU, apart from our representatives in the EU parliament (which are a minority and vastly different to the many europhiles present), that is as far as it goes. The EU cabinet set up by Junker and has him select which countries govern via a representative, what policy areas. He had the British representative govern the climate change and energy policy for example.

I have no idea what you're on about. A 'representative' makes us govern a policy area? What?

It gets better. We have EU funded bodies like the EU liberal and social democrats party which goes round pushing a biased EU agenda around the EU. There is an in-proportionate share of power among the nations. Take Camerons proposals to limit benefits for migrants, snubbed by almost all states. The second Germany (or more precisely Merkel) proposes the same exact policy, no one bats an eyelid and it is ok. You will most likely dismiss this for whatever reason but most see it for what it is. Germany has influence far greater than any other EU nation. What Merkel says is the rule of law. The EU is by far one of the most undemocratic systems, this is even recognised by the left and right, so not merely a one party stance on the issue.

You're right, I will dismiss it, because it's nonsense. But I can't be bothered to write a wall of text and waste my night.
Why should it be replaced? The HoL has the power to overrule policy, I don't think that is right. Only elected bodies dictate policy. Independent bodies have the right to assess policy and make a request for any recommedned changes, but as far as changing policy, no independent body should have that power. It contradicts the whole purpose of a democracy. If we do not like the Tories, we vote them out, simple. That's how democracy works. Not a body which is fixed.

For a person that seems to sing the praises of democracy, you do sure seem rather ignorant on the vital components that ensures checks and balances that enables democracy to flourish and bounds to be not overstepped.
For a person that seems to sing the praises of democracy, you do sure seem rather ignorant on the vital components that ensures checks and balances that enables democracy to flourish and bounds to be not overstepped.

Please elaborate?

(If you are referring to the FPTP system as an example that was settled in a democratic referendum in which AV lost. Even though I am against FPTP on a personal note, I support the will of the people)

Say the people vote to stay in the EU, I will hate it and be angry admittedly but I will accept it, retract from my eurosceptic standpoint and leave it at that
Please elaborate?

(If you are referring to the FPTP system as an example that was settled in a democratic referendum in which AV lost. Even though I am against FPTP on a personal note, I support the will of the people)

Say the people vote to stay in the EU, I will hate it and be angry admittedly but I will accept it, retract from my eurosceptic standpoint and leave it at that

It's absurd that you keep bringing up your obsession with the EU in a discussion about the HoL.

What is to stop Cameron and the Conservatives gerry-mandering their way into total and absolute control of the House, and as a result, the entire country meaning they can pass whatever law they want without impunity?

What is to stop David Cameron, or any future party leader from rigging the elections and passing laws that will give him authoritarian powers?

Democracy does involve the will of the people, but if you take away the checks and balances on the people chosen to wield that authority, it quickly falls apart.
It's absurd that you keep bringing up your obsession with the EU in a discussion about the HoL.

What is to stop Cameron and the Conservatives gerry-mandering their way into total and absolute control of the House, and as a result, the entire country meaning they can pass whatever law they want without impunity?

What is to stop David Cameron, or any future party leader from rigging the elections and passing laws that will give him authoritarian powers?

Democracy does involve the will of the people, but if you take away the checks and balances on the people chosen to wield that authority, it quickly falls apart.

Independent bodies manage the election rules. Cameron can't get shifty with that. I think the Tories should be able to enforce their manifesto and then we have the chance to vote them out come 2020. That's democracy. If your desire to keep the HoL rests on the fear Cameron will install a dictatorship style of politics then I can't play along as that is absurd. From my view the Tories are too soft and liberal to go down that route and it would be illegal anyway
Independent bodies manage the election rules. Cameron can't get shifty with that.

Why should an unelected body be in charge of how elections are run? Is that not an affront to democracy?

I think the Tories should be able to enforce their manifesto and then we have the chance to vote them out come 2020. That's democracy.

And what about things that are not on their manifesto? What if they enact it into policy? What do you do then?

If your desire to keep the HoL rests on the fear Cameron will install a dictatorship style of politics then I can't play along as that is absurd.

My argument is that the HoL curbs the excesses of elected party politicians, and makes the government think again about some of their policies.

From my view the Tories are too soft and liberal to go down that route and it would be illegal anyway

If done right, the Tories will be able to gerry-mander and worm their way into making sure that no opposition party will come close to challenging them ever again.

"Soft and liberal" - Whatever are you talking about? Trade union bills, campaign finance bills, electoral reform are all policies that the Conservative government have tried to rush through, just 9 months after gaining a slim majority.

And here's the kicker - It won't even be illegal.
Independent bodies manage the election rules. Cameron can't get shifty with that. I think the Tories should be able to enforce their manifesto and then we have the chance to vote them out come 2020. That's democracy. If your desire to keep the HoL rests on the fear Cameron will install a dictatorship style of politics then I can't play along as that is absurd. From my view the Tories are too soft and liberal to go down that route and it would be illegal anyway

Your problem is you do not understand how bills are passed to Royal Assent (Made Law).

The Work & Welfare Bill has passed report stage where all major amendments have been made. The commons then have one chance to try and satisfy the ruling majority of the Lords and if they don't then its boo hoo. The Lords may just decide to rebel like they did with the Tax Credit cuts.

Just because the Conservatives are the ruling majority in the commons doesn't give them a licence to do what the hell they like.

The House of Lords is like a proxy to which all new laws have to be moral and in good character. It stops dictators from doing what the hell they like.

I think the Lords who said no to the Tax Credit cuts and have who have also blocked the Work & Welfare Bill have good moral conscious. I know that is a bit rich coming from me as someone who has limited knowledge of what real empathy is but I don't think the word morality describes starving children and making lives for disabled people like myself worse.
Why should an unelected body be in charge of how elections are run? Is that not an affront to democracy?

And what about things that are not on their manifesto? What if they enact it into policy? What do you do then?

My argument is that the HoL curbs the excesses of elected party politicians, and makes the government think again about some of their policies.

If done right, the Tories will be able to gerry-mander and worm their way into making sure that no opposition party will come close to challenging them ever again.

"Soft and liberal" - Whatever are you talking about? Trade union bills, campaign finance bills, electoral reform are all policies that the Conservative government have tried to rush through, just 9 months after gaining a slim majority.

And here's the kicker - It won't even be illegal.

An independent body has to run the election process, it helps enforce democracy by eliminating bias that any one party would have. My argument is unelected bodies dictating governmental policy which is wrong. These electoral institutions are not dictating policy like education, defence ect.

Well it's impossible to not pass laws that are not in the manifesto as it all ties in with current affairs. The Syrian question was not even a topic during the election campaign. But you must remember, you are voting for a representive in which you trust to make judgement calls. Therefore the policy should still go through as these MPs were elected to be trusted.

If you disagree with a policy, use your vote in local, regional and general elections to voice your opposition. I do not understand the confusion. If the Tories are so bad then people will choose to vote them out.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Your problem is you do not understand how bills are passed to Royal Assent (Made Law).

The Work & Welfare Bill has passed report stage where all major amendments have been made. The commons then have one chance to try and satisfy the ruling majority of the Lords and if they don't then its boo hoo. The Lords may just decide to rebel like they did with the Tax Credit cuts.

Just because the Conservatives are the ruling majority in the commons doesn't give them a licence to do what the hell they like.

The House of Lords is like a proxy to which all new laws have to be moral and in good character. It stops dictators from doing what the hell they like.

I think the Lords who said no to the Tax Credit cuts and have who have also blocked the Work & Welfare Bill have good moral conscious. I know that is a bit rich coming from me as someone who has limited knowledge of what real empathy is but I don't think the word morality describes starving children and making lives for disabled people like myself worse.

You have not read my previous comments on the House of Lords. I understand the due process, I am saying I disagree with the House of Lords and oppose the whole idea of the HoL.
You have not read my previous comments on the House of Lords. I understand the due process, I am saying I disagree with the House of Lords and oppose the whole idea of the HoL.

Of course. I expect a lot of Tories to be extremely upset about not being able to cut disabled peoples welfare. I mean after the Tory conference and Disabled People Against Cuts throwing eggs at them I can some what understand the trauma.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Of course. I expect a lot of Tories to be extremely upset about not being able to cut disabled peoples welfare. I mean after the Tory conference and Disabled People Against Cuts throwing eggs at them I can some what understand the trauma.

Huh? I've never voted for Tories and have opposed the HoL since the Blair era. It was a left wing stance that prompted my initial opposition, what are you going on about?
An independent body has to run the election process, it helps enforce democracy by eliminating bias that any one party would have. My argument is unelected bodies dictating governmental policy which is wrong. These electoral institutions are not dictating policy like education, defence ect.

An independent body is useless if the terms dictated to it have come from a party that has already rigged the vote in their favour, through legitimate means.

Well it's impossible to not pass laws that are not in the manifesto as it all ties in with current affairs. The Syrian question was not even a topic during the election campaign. But you must remember, you are voting for a representive in which you trust to make judgement calls. Therefore the policy should still go through as these MPs were elected to be trusted.

What on earth are you blabbing about?

We wouldn't even need a democracy to implement this. A technocracy would be a much better idea if we were to rely on the trust of MP's to steer the country in the correct direction.

If you disagree with a policy, use your vote in local, regional and general elections to voice your opposition. I do not understand the confusion. If the Tories are so bad then people will choose to vote them out.

But "opposition" doesn't have to be listened to, and in your system of governance (with the abolition of the HoL), there would be no body that would rein in the power of the Government.

The HoL is a fallible body but it is the only body that we have for purging the excesses of a government that is intent on consolidating power for years to come.

As for your "voting out", you seem to have been spoon fed something that sits rather unwell with your position. Democracy is simply not about majority voting but having a system that is fair, open and transparent and not subjected to abuses.
Original post by sw651
Ohhhhhh. Apologies. I didn't realise. To be honest my issues isn't with benefits. It's with the way it is shared out

This is what they all say when confronted with the real lived experience of being disabled under the current system. "Oh, you're a genuine claimant, sure you should get the money, it's all those other scroungers I'm against."

And there is quite enough for everyone - why must it only be the poorest who have to cut their cloth?

I personally am heartened to hear the scare stories about people claiming the full rate for bad backs etc. It reassures me that those who really need support must also be getting it.
I haven't seen a story so far where other factors haven't had a huge impact on how the person died. A lot of these people were already mentally ill and doctors or coroners say the cut in benefits 'triggered' them - I don't know how familiar you are with mental health, but 'triggers' are not the cause of the death in that case. Anorexic people for example are 'triggered' by people talking about what diet they are on, and this can cause their illness to get worse, but that's the illness - it's not the fault of the person talking about their diet. It's still the fault of the mental illness itself, and anyone with mental health issues can be triggered by various things. Someone who has depression, with one of the most common symptoms being a feeling of helplessness or like there's no way out, will obviously find a cut in their benefits more sensitive than someone who is not depressed. They may be triggered by having their benefits cut, but their illness has killed them, not the benefits cut.

And some of them like take David Clapson in that article: "They included David Clapson, 59, a former soldier from Stevenage. He was a diabetic who was found dead in his home last July after his benefits were slashed and he did not apply for hardship payments." Why didn't he? Take some responsibility for yourself if you're on welfare, people aren't going to come round ladling it out to you.

So far I haven't seen a single news story that has convinced me of a direct correlation between benefit cuts and death. There are always other factors or mental illness involved.

You do realise people aren't told about hardship payments deliberately by the benefits office. And many of these people are vulnerable, can't use a computer etc.

If there is eg mental illness involved then it is an indictment of the cuts in that area.

Tory cuts are morally bankrupt and play havoc across the system by putting people into acute crisis. That is why they end up spending more money overall. But the Tories will pay any price to bully and push around the poorest.

It's a complete lie that we can't afford to support the weakest people in our society. I've noticed even Tories have given up trying to claim it's about cutting the deficit or whatever ******** they used to say.
Original post by sw651
It's proportional! There are more old people than there are on regular benefits. And you know why we give old people pensions? Because a majority have worked their arses off. You are wrong about welfare spending. In entirety it is almost 698 billion. It makes up 10% maximum. Also ESA is not the only benefits, overall we spend over 40 billion in benefits. Stop drawing up stats which support your argument and ignoring the truth.

I already provided per capita stats which you obv chose to ignore.

Pensions: £8,000
ESA: £1,500

Stop lying

Also it doesn't matter whether they have worked already or not. ESA enables people to do what work they can in the future. Finance works both ways, that's literally the point of debt, money, capitalism.

Even if not thinking about work ESA puts demand in the economy. The people contribute by buying what they need at their local shops. Otherwise the money that now goes in tax to fund ESA would just be squirrelled away in some rich person's bank account - that is to say, invested in some high growth foreign country by the bank.

Benefits boost the consumer economy. They also have the happy side effect of not letting people die just because they're poor, although I accept with Tories this is considered a bad thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is that what I said? No. Don't twist words. I said people claiming they have committed suicide because of the DWP is rubbish - which it is.

Even in those cases where they write a suicide note blaming the DWP?

I guess you can put words in the mouth of the dead all you like if it is politically expedient. We know Tories have few boundaries and little decency when it comes to their treatment of the poor.

But others like me will call you out on it.

Disgusting attitude when people are killing themselves because of your party's policies. I consider it genocide.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending