The Student Room Group

Schools Direct Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

We really need to get this thread stickied, would make finding it easier sometimes.
Reply 61
Original post by VelmaStaplebot
Hi,
At the secondary school direct interviews I didn't have to teach a class but was invited to spend time in lessons, I used that time to talk to the pupils and try and be helpful. I found the pupil panel interviews quite different - I'm not sure which is more challenging, the staff or the pupil panel. I've noticed some school direct interviews give you a really detailed breakdown of your assessment day and others don't, so make sure you know what else you'll be doing.

You'd be eligible for a premium plus (I think it is) advisor through the getintoteaching website - mine was really helpful with applications and interviews.

What is a pupil panel? Pupils interviewing you?!!

I've signed up for premium plus but no-one has got back to me. Unless they were one of the missed calls I've had this week.

Still waiting (as patiently as possible) for my references.

Good news about your uni interview, Gentlegiant.
Hi Gizmodo
Thank you. Yes - the pupil panel is some of the children interviewing you (with one of the grown-up interviewers listening and watching). They asked me questions like; why would you be a good teacher for our school? How would you make sure everyone on the class was included? You get a chance to ask them a question too. Apparently, the pupil panel and staff panel usually agree on candidates!

Maybe try again with premium plus - I had contact by email first, then a phone call. What's your subject? I'm chemistry.

Fortunately, I work with both my referees so I was able to chase them up. Fingers crossed for you. Velma
(edited 8 years ago)
Have just spotted your subject is computer science.
I am enjoying TSR, it's really good to compare experiences! I haven't looked at the NQT thread yet - I'll save that for next year.
Reply 64
Have just spotted your subject is computer science.
I am enjoying TSR, it's really good to compare experiences! I haven't looked at the NQT thread yet - I'll save that for next year.

Actually, I'm applying for maths. But I have a maths and computing degree and have 8 years programming experience behind me.

My references also work with me. They've been prodded. :smile:
That's a good subject to be going for, and a career change too. The bursaries for certain subjects are a big help. I'll be retraining from pharmacy. It's a good time to be making a move.
That's a good subject to be going for, and a career change too. The bursaries for certain subjects are a big help. I'll be retraining from pharmacy. It's a good time to be making a move.
My student panel was pretty easy going and very hilarious, for me no teacher was around so it was me with 4 P.E. applicants and the students. It definetly calmed alot of our nerves because some of the questions were wierd like " if you was a biscuit, what would it be?"

It was a fun day and also the place I accepted the offer for.

They even have a staff room which is used by the teachers and pigeon holes. I fell in love with it straight away. Reminded me of my old school.

If memory serves Gizmodo your personal advisor will email you first and arrange a telephone conversation.
Reply 68
Original post by gentlegiant

They even have a staff room which is used by the teachers and pigeon holes. I fell in love with it straight away. Reminded me of my old school.

Do all schools not have this?!

I could handle a biscuit question. I hate the "what will make you a good teacher?" type questions. I do maths for a reason! Numbers. Right or wrong. Job done :smile:

@VelmaStaplebot - Yep the bursaries are the only reason why this is possible.
Reply 69
Hi my daughter and I recently attended a 'Get into teaching" event which resulted in her applying through UCAS for a schools direct salaried training place after her interview last week she has been received a conditional offer in the meantime she has received another interview date different provider but this time a salary has been mentioned of £5000 for 39 weeks course now we're confused as at the event and on all the information sites we can find it states that the salary will be point one of an unqualified teachers salary which ranges from £15871 upwards can anyone clarify as she now is deverstated that on so little she won't be able to train as this wouldn't even cover her rent? Thanks in advance
Original post by Mumsy123
Hi my daughter and I recently attended a 'Get into teaching" event which resulted in her applying through UCAS for a schools direct salaried training place after her interview last week she has been received a conditional offer in the meantime she has received another interview date different provider but this time a salary has been mentioned of £5000 for 39 weeks course now we're confused as at the event and on all the information sites we can find it states that the salary will be point one of an unqualified teachers salary which ranges from £15871 upwards can anyone clarify as she now is deverstated that on so little she won't be able to train as this wouldn't even cover her rent? Thanks in advance

Hi,
The salaried places are less numerous than the school direct or PGCE places, so your daughter will need to ask for clarification from all her choices and the 'getintoteaching' phone helpline. Student loans are an option too.

It's your daughter who'll be doing the course, so perhaps encourage her to join this forum instead of you (I'm not trying to be mean and I can see you are a very supportive parent but sometimes you just have to do stuff for yourself). Best wishes and I hope she gets the place she wants.
Good luck!
Biscuits:
I love the biscuit question... and you are a .....?
I don't know what biscuit I am like but I'd like one right now.

Pigeon holes:
I think they are compulsory in staff rooms. Also, what are the chances of all of us receiving smoked glass see-through coffee mugs for Xmas (I think I might be showing my age)? ☕️
Reply 72
Point taken kindly made could I just ask though what is the difference between a salaried place and a schools direct salaried ( which is what she applied for) ?
Hi again,
My understanding is that School Direct Salaried means you do get a salary (taxed) but don't pay tuition fees (as these are covered by the school) and School Direct means you can apply for a tax-free bursary (if permitted for your subject) but you pay tuition fees. The actual take home money is similar.
I'm not aware of a salaried route that is not school direct ( the detail in the offer may describe it better). Maybe someone else can chip in with advice.
With four different routes in, it is hard to know what's best sometimes.
Reply 74
Pigeon holes:
I think they are compulsory in staff rooms. Also, what are the chances of all of us receiving smoked glass see-through coffee mugs for Xmas (I think I might be showing my age)? ☕️

Even as an LSA I get my own pigeon hole :smile: It just about fits a bag of crisps in it.

Oh I remember those mugs! My school when I was a kid definitely had them!

@Mumsy123 I don't know for a fact, but my guess is given the demand for primary places they can get away will such a low salary. (Your daughter is going for primary?)

I also think there is only school direct salaried places. And I think Velma has covered my knowledge on it. The only other route is Assessment Only but there are conditions for this - my school offers it to unqualified teachers of 5 years that have worked in 2 schools (if I remember correctly). Or there's Teach First.

You can check bursaries and funding here: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/bursaries-and-funding

There is a 3k bursary for those going the unsalaried route into primary if you have a 2:1 or First in your degree. There are maintenance loans of up to somewhere around £8k. There are also some other funding options for if you have children in paid childcare. Use this calculator to see what could be available:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator/y
Some loans/grants are means tested.
Reply 75
Thank you all for your time,help and advice my daughter has now spoken to all her providers and has been told that it is the point one unqualified teachers salary however each provider then takes a percentage of the tuition fees out of that so one of hers takes all £9000 it's then a percentage pro rata of the remainder
One just sent her this by email
SCITT Salaried is an employment-based route into teaching supported by a National College of Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) grant. There are no tuition fees payable on this training route.NCTL funding is used to cover SNITT training fees and to make a contribution towards your salary. Salaried trainees are usually paid on point one of the unqualified teacher scale, So your training salary will be, The following figures are offered for guidance but are subject to changes in national pay scales and to NCTL funding:Primary: 9.5 month contract: salary range £5,161 to £9,031Trainees in primary will be offered a contract in the range 0.4 to 0.7 for 9.5 months
I still feel it's misleading and not a career changing salary for someone who's been in the workplace and has the financial commitments that goes with that but she is resigned now to not being able to proceed we're gutted but thank you all here signing off
Reply 76
Thank you all for your time,help and advice my daughter has now spoken to all her providers and has been told that it is the point one unqualified teachers salary however each provider then takes a percentage of the tuition fees out of that so one of hers takes all £9000 it's then a percentage pro rata of the remainder
One just sent her this by email
SCITT Salaried is an employment-based route into teaching supported by a National College of Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) grant. There are no tuition fees payable on this training route.NCTL funding is used to cover SNITT training fees and to make a contribution towards your salary. Salaried trainees are usually paid on point one of the unqualified teacher scale, So your training salary will be, The following figures are offered for guidance but are subject to changes in national pay scales and to NCTL funding:Primary: 9.5 month contract: salary range £5,161 to £9,031Trainees in primary will be offered a contract in the range 0.4 to 0.7 for 9.5 months
I still feel it's misleading and not a career changing salary for someone who's been in the workplace and has the financial commitments that goes with that but she is resigned now to not being able to proceed we're gutted but thank you all here signing off

I know it's not much consolation but you could look at it as not being £9k in debt as the fees will be taken care of. And it's just for the training year. After that the wages will be better.
Reply 77
That is what we've tried to do but with rent household bills and travel costs just not possible so disappointing she would make an truly exception teacher maybe in the future but appreciate your time
That is what we've tried to do but with rent household bills and travel costs just not possible so disappointing she would make an truly exception teacher maybe in the future but appreciate your time

Why not look into the non-salaried training routes then? With bursaries, loans, grants etc you can end up being better off than those on the salaried route.

I finished my school direct course having been handed about 12k that I never need to pay back and another 3 or 4k in maintenance loan. I did have to take almost 9k in student loan debt to cover the tuition fees, but I just view this as an extra tax coming out of my pay.
Reply 79
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Why not look into the non-salaried training routes then? With bursaries, loans, grants etc you can end up being better off than those on the salaried route.

I finished my school direct course having been handed about 12k that I never need to pay back and another 3 or 4k in maintenance loan. I did have to take almost 9k in student loan debt to cover the tuition fees, but I just view this as an extra tax coming out of my pay.

She'd be worse off really. The bursary is 3k and she'd have a 9k debt to go with it.

If it's such a huge drop in salary there could be other financial help. Is she married? Because if you earn less than your tax threshold you can transfer £1000 of your tax allowance to your husband. So that's £200. She may be entitled to tax credits?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending