The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anatomyjane
Is everyone taking the March as a trial? I was unaware this was possible and am worried that I will be one of a handful taking the September for the first time. I am just definitely not ready for the March exam :frown:

It's definitely not necessary and I strongly considered not doing it, especially when it came to paying for it. However, I personally feel it's worth it. It's a chance to experience the process and technically, it's the most recent. 'Mock exam' you can sit if you DID fail and need to sit the September one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This exam has caused a massive dent in my bank account.
Original post by KoalaBoar
This exam has caused a massive dent in my bank account.

Just the first step on a long career of paying for expensive exams and certificates! 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Advanced life support 600, paediatric intermediate life support 400, mrcp part one 420...

Posted from TSR Mobile
GAMSAT Ireland for March closes tomorrow at 5.15PM, so anyone who wants to sit it please sign up soon.

I hope everyone is doing well with their revision. I'm a bit behind but will be more free this month so going to put more time into it.
For section 2 say if I wanted to quote someone but I couldn't remember their name would I still be able to use their quote or would I have to leave it out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would avoid it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pharma21
For section 2 say if I wanted to quote someone but I couldn't remember their name would I still be able to use their quote or would I have to leave it out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could try and wing it by saying something along the lines of:

It was once famously said that "insert quote", something that when considered in regards to blah blah blah....

Honesty though if you are smart enough to remember and process all the **** you have to for the GAMSAT you can memorise someone's name.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello good people!

I think I am going to be looking at tackling the gamsat this year. I am an arts graduate and I haven't studied science in 10 years :redface:

I tried to study for the gamsat last year but just did not feel like I was getting anywhere at all and I gave up.

Does anyone have any pointers as where would be a good place to start?

I am actually seeiously considering signing up to the March sitting. If anything just to get the practice at doing a 6 hour exam! It is sooo expensive though and I don't know whether it would be stupid to try and do it with only 6 weeks left. The only thinng is I am off work and at my parents house and so bored out of my mind so have a ton of time everyday to revise. If I were to do this what would be a good place to quickly do some science revision?

Also are there any courses that would be good?

I have a fair bit of money saved up so can afford to spend a bit (although obviously thereare things I would much rather spend my money on!)

Any help would be great :smile:

Oh and I am in London and would definitely be interested in a study group for te September sitting!
Original post by hopefuldr
Hello good people!

I think I am going to be looking at tackling the gamsat this year. I am an arts graduate and I haven't studied science in 10 years :redface:

I tried to study for the gamsat last year but just did not feel like I was getting anywhere at all and I gave up.

Does anyone have any pointers as where would be a good place to start?

I am actually seeiously considering signing up to the March sitting. If anything just to get the practice at doing a 6 hour exam! It is sooo expensive though and I don't know whether it would be stupid to try and do it with only 6 weeks left. The only thinng is I am off work and at my parents house and so bored out of my mind so have a ton of time everyday to revise. If I were to do this what would be a good place to quickly do some science revision?

Also are there any courses that would be good?

I have a fair bit of money saved up so can afford to spend a bit (although obviously thereare things I would much rather spend my money on!)

Any help would be great :smile:

Oh and I am in London and would definitely be interested in a study group for te September sitting!

Since you've passed the first deadline the exam willl be 310 euros, plus 50 euros to sit outside ireland and a late fee of 70 euros. So £325. I would say just go for the September exam.

I've been studying since August (law grad here and i haven't done science in about 7 years now) and I'm still struggling to get to a high enough level. I should probably be more worried atm.

I'd say just grab some A Level books or uni level books from Amazon. I have Campbell's Bio and although it's very detailed, there are certain parts of Bio that I love so I like being able to go into a bit of detail. But it's too dense for the GAMSAT. I use CGP books and the Gamsat gold standard. Gold standard is okay but tbh, not perfect and I don't like studying science from it.
Revising for this exam is taxing. I did chemistry back in my a - level days but I don't remember it being this hard
Reply 131
Hello all,

I'm a Psychology Graduate (1:1) tried the UKCAT last year and managed 665... didn't even make interviews (lol).

So this year for round two I'm looking to take the GAMSAT and the UKCAT. I was just wondering if anyone uses the Griffiths GAMSAT review?

I'm not in London, I'm South-East (Cambridge / Bury St Edmunds area) so if anyones near me fancies studying with me I'm more than up for that!
Reply 132
Original post by KoalaBoar
Revising for this exam is taxing. I did chemistry back in my a - level days but I don't remember it being this hard

I know exactly how you feel!! Eeekk!! 😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am still finding the motivation a problem. I think I am going to do worse in March than I did last september because my head is not on straight. Having some issues at home which doesn't help. Seems to take up my time and energy vs just being able to sit and focus on revision.

It just seems almost futile to work on the exam when I am still holding out hope for a place at Exeter. I know this is completely the wrong attitude to have. In the run up to the September exam I spent hours every day watching Youtube clips, Gamsat practice questions and chem apps on my phone. Now I just can't seem to get my head in the game.
Original post by lyra1987
I am still finding the motivation a problem. I think I am going to do worse in March than I did last september because my head is not on straight. Having some issues at home which doesn't help. Seems to take up my time and energy vs just being able to sit and focus on revision.

It just seems almost futile to work on the exam when I am still holding out hope for a place at Exeter. I know this is completely the wrong attitude to have. In the run up to the September exam I spent hours every day watching Youtube clips, Gamsat practice questions and chem apps on my phone. Now I just can't seem to get my head in the game.
Sadly, I'm the same. I wouldn't say motivation is the core problem, I am just tired of this test/process. I don't understand how people find the enthusiasm to take this test multiple times. And I don't think I will improve on my previous score whatsoever this time... just roughly a month to go, ah well.
(edited 8 years ago)
it is unfortunate we are too far from each other to be study buddies and encourage each other.

I will fully admit to have done nothing than arse around on here and listen to half a Khan academy chem video. The only thing I can take from this is I am a night owl so some inspiration and motivation may kick in later.

I have banned alcohol from my diet for the next month.

I did listen to a lot of a brief history of time in the car driving up to Glasgow the other day. So helped revise some physics concepts :P

I know people who studied a lot and got average results and then they did the exam again without much studies and got much better results. This exam is so unpredictable!

Hi how did you find the gamsat and what did you do to prepare for it I am really scared
Original post by PintoBeans
I did biology and chemistry at a - level, looking through my notes it feels like I've forgotten it all. I also did single physics at GCSE, which I didn't even remember doing, but hopefully my notes will come into use. I also have the resources that Neuronerd gave, but having trouble opening them. My course still asks you to write essays and give them in so I'm used to writing lots of critical essays and that's really the only section I'm genuinely confident about.

But I've finally got some work in bank which I didn't even think I qualified for, so at least I'll have work experience in place!

Hi do you still have the resources from Neuronerd??
Original post by danni998
Hi do you still have the resources from Neuronerd??

Hi, I had to delete them as they got corrupted, my laptop has so many viruses. I did send them to another user who may be able to help you if they're reading this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending