The Student Room Group

"Young people in England have 'lowest literacy levels' in developed world"

... according to the OECD > http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/young-people-england-have-lowest-literacy-levels-developed-world-says-oecd-1540711

"The OECD report rated English teenagers aged 16 to 19 the worst of 23 developed nations in literacy and 22nd of 23 in numeracy. In contrast, pensioners or those close to retirement were among the highest-ranked of their age group."

Scroll to see replies

I blame immigration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
I blame immigration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, without immigration it would be even lower. English people in the provinces drag the score down. Indian/Chinese and other Asians (jews as well) dominate education in this country.
Original post by 90s Roadman
No, without immigration it would be even lower. English people in the provinces drag the score down. Indian/Chinese and other Asians (jews as well) dominate education in this country.

But with less immigrants there would be more resources available to the natives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't believe this, education is getting harder and harder every year, just look at the recent A-level reforms.Also I don't think any of my grandparents where educated past the age of 16 and that was the norm.
Just throw chavs/non muslims in the sea. You cannot have too many Indians in this country.

India would be an example of too many Indians given their poverty stats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But with less immigrants there would be more resources available to the natives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lord have mercy, Id love to smoke whatever sweet juice youve been on.
India would be an example of too many Indians given their poverty stats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats only rural India. Urban Indians live far better than people from Sunderland.
Original post by KingKoala
I don't believe this, education is getting harder and harder every year, just look at the recent A-level reforms.Also I don't think any of my grandparents where educated past the age of 16 and that was the norm.
Oh dear!
Original post by BlackSweetness
Lord have mercy, Id love to smoke whatever sweet juice youve been on.

You can't smoke juice, it is too wet.

Thats only rural India. Urban Indians live far better than people from Sunderland.

It is India non the less.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

[scrollr]fewer[/scrollr]

[scroll]fewer[/scroll]

[scrollr]fewer[/scrollr]

:hahaha:

:yay:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mphysical
Oh dear![/QUO

Dammit, I suppose my point has just become completely invalid.
Just throw chavs/non muslims in the sea. You cannot have too many Indians in this country.

You sound like a lovely person. :erm:

Original post by KingKoala

Literacy and numeracy is before A Level. So while A Levels might have got harder, it might be a case of lower levels of education getting easier and/or less effective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to whom? I went to a former grammar school. 95% of the people there were white. I was pretty good at English, not because they focused on me but because a) I'm naturally chatty and b) I actually put in the effort

My sister is doing a degree in it too, not that I totally approve of doing a degree in English

There were plenty of people who were worse at English
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The_Internet
According to whom?. I went to a former grammar school. 95% of the people there were white. I was pretty goof at English, not because they focused on me but because a) I'm naturally chatty and b) I actually put in the effort

My sister is doing a degree in it too, not that I totally approve of doing a degree in English

There were plenty of people who were worse at English

Goof?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on my mobile phone. Expect typos
I'm on my mobile phone. Expect typos

Don't you have auto correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't you have auto correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't always work so well. Especially when you type faster than the word that comes on the screen. It also sometimes duplicates words

BTW, at least I didn't make the blunder that you did earlier ie: with the word "less" when you should have said "fewer"
It doesn't always work so well. Especially when you type faster than the word that comes on the screen. It also sometimes duplicates words

BTW, at least I didn't make the blunder that you did earlier ie: with the word "less" when you should have said "fewer"

I don't pretend to be good a English. But at least it made sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't pretend to be good a English. But at least it made sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that also because of immigrants?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending