The Student Room Group

can you leave housing once contract ends, even though there will be an empty room?

going to be living out for the 2nd year in uni.
3 of us are not going to be using this house for our third year

so we dont want a contract for the third year, however there will be empty rooms in this house

will the landlard try to make us pay for these empty rooms, even though our contract has ended and we are not responsible for paying rent anymore?
Reply 1
Original post by Straighthate
going to be living out for the 2nd year in uni.
3 of us are not going to be using this house for our third year

so we dont want a contract for the third year, however there will be empty rooms in this house

will the landlard try to make us pay for these empty rooms, even though our contract has ended and we are not responsible for paying rent anymore?

If you don't have a contract, you won't be allowed to stay in the house. If you do have a contract, whoever lives in the house will be expected to pay all of the rent. How it's done won't be of any interest to the landlord. But the landlord will probably not rent a property to you if they know up front that it will be under-occupied.
Original post by Klix88
If you don't have a contract, you won't be allowed to stay in the house. If you do have a contract, whoever lives in the house will be expected to pay all of the rent. How it's done won't be of any interest to the landlord. But the landlord will probably not rent a property to you if they know up front that it will be under-occupied.

well the contact will end after our first year in the house
but us 3 who arent going to live there the next year wont renew it, the other people probably will

3 of us are going to leave, so if we dont find 3 people to replace ourselves, will the rest of the people who arent going to leave the house have to pay for the empty rooms if we cant find people to take our rooms?
your contract will be for 1 year, after that point the other tenants might ask to renew it but they would probably have to find other tenants to fill the house before the landlord agreed to let them keep living there... if your contract finishes it wont matter what your flatmates want to do you won't be liable for more rent
Original post by doodle_333
your contract will be for 1 year, after that point the other tenants might ask to renew it but they would probably have to find other tenants to fill the house before the landlord agreed to let them keep living there... if your contract finishes it wont matter what your flatmates want to do you won't be liable for more rent

thank you very much

i havent seen the contract yet, we are still looking around

how do i make sure we dont get caught out on anything with the contract?
i dont want to be tricked into a contract where others may be liable for me in the third year, when i am away
thank you very much

i havent seen the contract yet, we are still looking around

how do i make sure we dont get caught out on anything with the contract?
i dont want to be tricked into a contract where others may be liable for me in the third year, when i am away

just read your contract and make sure you udnerstand and are happy with it before signing it, don't feel pressured into just signining quickly cos people are waiting for you or anything, you want to check the length of tenancy parts, you need to know what your period of tenancy or minimum tenancy length/notice period will be

so the likelihood is you just get a contract that says something like 12th June 2016 to 11th June 2017 and that's that, all you've agreed to is one year and a new contract will be needed for third year... in non student tenancies you might get say a 6 month minimum period of tenancy (so you can't move out for 6 months) then you have a 1 month notice period (so after the first 6 months you can leave at any point but must tell your landlord 1 month before you intend to leave)
Original post by doodle_333
just read your contract and make sure you udnerstand and are happy with it before signing it, don't feel pressured into just signining quickly cos people are waiting for you or anything, you want to check the length of tenancy parts, you need to know what your period of tenancy or minimum tenancy length/notice period will be

so the likelihood is you just get a contract that says something like 12th June 2016 to 11th June 2017 and that's that, all you've agreed to is one year and a new contract will be needed for third year... in non student tenancies you might get say a 6 month minimum period of tenancy (so you can't move out for 6 months) then you have a 1 month notice period (so after the first 6 months you can leave at any point but must tell your landlord 1 month before you intend to leave)

so we are going to end up fuking our mates over if we cant find replacement tenants for ourselves?
either way they will have to find a new house in the space of a month, or somehow find 3 people at such a late stage in university?

:frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
so we are going to end up fuking our mates over if we cant find replacement tenants for ourselves?
either way they will have to find a new house in the space of a month, or somehow find 3 people at such a late stage in university?

:frown:

you're not screwing your mates over, they will have all year to sort out what to do as you've already decided you won't be there... it's perfectly normal for people to change houses/accommodation every year of university, the likelihood is that yes, they will have to find somewhere smaller but that's not your fault

Quick Reply

Latest