The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2016!

Scroll to see replies

I didn't pick any college, I'll be allocated one right next month?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by TitanCream
I didn't pick any college, I'll be allocated one right next month?

Yeah because you're in the first batch so will find out between 1st Feb and 1st March
Original post by scratchedpaw
Yeah because you're in the first batch so will find out between 1st Feb and 1st March

Oh wow, I'm sure they've made a mistake. My grades are nothing in comparison to the ones I have seen here.
Oh wow, I'm sure they've made a mistake. My grades are nothing in comparison to the ones I have seen here.

Have faith in yourself!!! You must have had a strong application in other areas then, it's not just about grades
Classical Civilisation - AAA.

Its a miracle because I have only ever received average results.

Congrats on your offer!! I'm praying for an offer since I'm average too, can I ask what your AS results were like?
Original post by na1198ch
Congrats on your offer!! I'm praying for an offer since I'm average too, can I ask what your AS results were like?

ABBD. Nothing special
Got an offer in November and applied for Mary's has anyone visited Mary's - I'm dying to see inside the buildngs:biggrin:
Was given an offer on 16th December for Economics - when do you think college allocation will take place and should there be a separate thread put up?
The email and website both say starting in february for those who have already received offers so I would say within 2-4 weeks.
Reply 349
Hi,
AAA
Business and Management

Can anyone tell me more about the college thing? I am not quite sure as I am an international student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ih8r2
Hi,
AAA
Business and Management

Can anyone tell me more about the college thing? I am not quite sure as I am an international student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is what my email from Durham says about College Allocation:

"College Allocation: The next stage in your application to Durham is college allocation. For applicants who receive an academic offer by 1st February 2016, college allocation will be confirmed by 1st March 2016 and will then happen regularly after this date for applicants who receive an academic offer after 1st February. If you specified a preference college in your UCAS application, this will be taken into account when your college is allocated. We aim to ensure we have students in each college from a mix of academic departments based at that campus and therefore, if you are not allocated to your preference choice college, you will be allocated to a college with space for students studying in the department you have applied to. Once your college has been allocated, you will receive a welcome letter directly from the college. Each college provides a comprehensive pastoral support system as well as opportunities for personal development and learning beyond the classroom."

Also if you have any other queries related to being an international student then Durham says:

"You can also contact the international office by email at [email protected] or call +(44)191 334 6328."
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 351
Got an offer for MSc Earth Sciences and planning to make it my firm! I haven't specified a college though. I was wondering if there is anything I should consider when choosing, like how far the colleges are from where my lectures will be? Would that be a big deal or are all the colleges relatively equidistant from where the lectures will be held?

Edit: Okay I did some serious brainstorming and research and decided to choose St Chad's college! Hopefully it's not too late for me to get a place there :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 352
Got an unconditional offer (I'm applying PQA) for English Literatuure this morning - I'm soooo excited and I couldn't believe it!! Everyone kept saying that the English offers come really late, sometimes even in March, so I was expecting it to be a rejection this early on.. Also, English is not my first language so I was worried they might not take me as seriously as there's no interview... So happy!:smile:

My A-Levels: A*A*A
College applied to: St John's

I am going up to visit Durham and St Andrews in Easter to make my final decision, but I would love to go to Durham.
Anyone heard for modern languages?
Reply 354
Original post by scratchedpaw
Hatfield too, but I'm getting the feeling I'm going to be one of the few state school kids there :/

I doubt that's true (even if I am privately educated!). I chose Hatfield purely because of the location (bailey) and I thought chads and st johns were too small :smile:
Original post by EsAnd
I doubt that's true (even if I am privately educated!). I chose Hatfield purely because of the location (bailey) and I thought chads and st johns were too small :smile:

I chose it because of the location too, and it's so pretty. Also a family friend went there so it's the closest thing I have to family tradition. I don't have a problem with private school kids, I just don't want to be the only state school kid Hahahaha which subject do you have an offer for? I have an offer for maths
Reply 356
Original post by Katiepotaty
Got an offer in November and applied for Mary's has anyone visited Mary's - I'm dying to see inside the buildngs:biggrin:

Mary's was lovely! Really spacious and modern but still in gorgeous, old and grand buildings (I love classical architechture lol sorry). My friend is there atm and I saw her room and pantry area. Nice room, very clean and in good condition. THe pantry was a small corridor-like room with a fridge and microwave - enough for snacks but apparently the food is really good. There's a chapel in the building which is pretty cool and the college itself is across the road from the science site and main library. Hope this helps! I actually applied to Hatfield as I preferred the location but if I wanted to be near the science site i'd defo have applied to Mary's.
Original post by emcowens
Congrats! I've got a biomed offer too, applied to Josephine Butler College, is Durham your first choice?

me too! i hope i get allocated to st chads i heard its the friendliest! might go for a visit after half term :smile:
Anyone know anything about queens campus? It's a bit far for me to visit atm
Original post by Katiepotaty

Hi , sorry if this disappoints you but when I visited St Mary's i too was really looking forwards to it but the rooms were really not nice at all, they seemed unchanged since around the 1960's giving this really musty vibe.
I was really looking forwards to seeing a really classic interior but it just seemed run down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending