The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Quick update. Nathan is a demon. The end lol

Twos are just hard. Oddly enough, with my others, three was always harder than two...but if Nathan gets worse at 3 I might just have to invest in a child-sized straight jacket haha.

In other news, Lydia is fine, Alex is fine, Jason is fine...all fine.

I am dreading twos... I am finding 19 months hard enough!

Original post by Sephrenia
Yeah, first time was just normal food poisoning, second time I ended up with cryptosporidiosis. Was just generally hell. Never got food poisoning before I was pregnant, so getting it twice was just a double punch in the guts lol!

I don't often go for Jojo, it's way out of my budget but I make exceptions for their sales! Most of my stuff is second hand, as we weren't planning on this baby, so it's all on a budget! But the coat I got is lovely as well, so toasty and warm!

Isaac lives in clothes bundles from ebay
I was down visiting a friend and noticed a post on her local buy+sell, and got £60 of baby clothes. When I unpacked it at home and separated it into vests etc it covered my sofa and my armchair. Most of it was Disney baby or Next, so I figure I managed about £200 worth of stuff - and she even gave me her old baby bath! Got my pushchair+carrycot off ebay for £100 as well - Quinny Buzz. Apart from a couple of scratches on the wheels, and two little nicks in the handle foam you wouldn't know it had been used!
Original post by Sephrenia
I was down visiting a friend and noticed a post on her local buy+sell, and got £60 of baby clothes. When I unpacked it at home and separated it into vests etc it covered my sofa and my armchair. Most of it was Disney baby or Next, so I figure I managed about £200 worth of stuff - and she even gave me her old baby bath! Got my pushchair+carrycot off ebay for £100 as well - Quinny Buzz. Apart from a couple of scratches on the wheels, and two little nicks in the handle foam you wouldn't know it had been used!

Fantastic! :smile: That's the fab (but also annoying if you buy new) thing about baby things; they grow out of stuff so quickly that they are still practically new when second hand.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Quick update. Nathan is a demon. The end lol

Twos are just hard. Oddly enough, with my others, three was always harder than two...but if Nathan gets worse at 3 I might just have to invest in a child-sized straight jacket haha.

In other news, Lydia is fine, Alex is fine, Jason is fine...all fine.

Oh dear lol. I have heard the phrase "terrible twos". Will find out, thankfully not for a while and I'm still living in denial about it :wink:

I'm finding an almost 8 month old tiring, let alone when he's a toddler :afraid: He demands my attention non-stop! Adorable though he is :smile:
Dreading terrible twos to, at14.5 months Chelsea has mastered throwing herself on the floor, stomping her feet and screaming. She won't have any of this idea of using her pushchair and wants to walk everywhere! Tantrums have begun in full force :frown:
Doctors on here, who did you see to get your risk assessment(s) done? I seem to be going round in circles - told my Educational Supervisor, who is also College Tutor - he is very supportive but has never had a pregnant trainee before so doesn't really know the protocol. He told me to get in touch with the divisional manager for our dept, who pointed me towards someone in HR. HR person says she doesn't do early pregnancy risk assessments, just sorts out mat pay/leave etc later on, and if I'm concerned about my health to speak to Occ Health. Occ Health say I need a risk assessment done first - and there are significant risks in my job - and then discuss with them if that flags anything up. Meanwhile I'm subtly (or not-so-subtly) trying to minimise my x-ray exposure and avoiding doing gas inductions, without any real clue of what's necessary, sensible or safe.
Original post by Anonymous
Doctors on here, who did you see to get your risk assessment(s) done? I seem to be going round in circles - told my Educational Supervisor, who is also College Tutor - he is very supportive but has never had a pregnant trainee before so doesn't really know the protocol. He told me to get in touch with the divisional manager for our dept, who pointed me towards someone in HR. HR person says she doesn't do early pregnancy risk assessments, just sorts out mat pay/leave etc later on, and if I'm concerned about my health to speak to Occ Health. Occ Health say I need a risk assessment done first - and there are significant risks in my job - and then discuss with them if that flags anything up. Meanwhile I'm subtly (or not-so-subtly) trying to minimise my x-ray exposure and avoiding doing gas inductions, without any real clue of what's necessary, sensible or safe.

I never actually had a risk assessment done :s
I'd seen my occy health consultant earlier in the year and had discussed hypothetical risks - the radiation exposure and nitrous in particular but because I ended up basically off sick for the whole first half of the pregnancy almost it was relatively easy to dodge radiation when I came back as most of the consultants knew I was pregnant and the person assigning lists knew to keep me off any lists with definite radiation. From the reading I did at the time, nowadays with the scavenging systems exposure to anaesthetic gases doesn't really cause problems and as long as you're suitably covered with a lead apron the radiation isn't an issue but I still preferred to dodge where I could and only stayed in with an apron on as a last resort if no one could take over.
I know I should have pursued a proper risk assessment but i just had no idea who I should be asking and kept putting it off until there was no point in the end!
Original post by Hygeia
I never actually had a risk assessment done :s
I'd seen my occy health consultant earlier in the year and had discussed hypothetical risks - the radiation exposure and nitrous in particular but because I ended up basically off sick for the whole first half of the pregnancy almost it was relatively easy to dodge radiation when I came back as most of the consultants knew I was pregnant and the person assigning lists knew to keep me off any lists with definite radiation. From the reading I did at the time, nowadays with the scavenging systems exposure to anaesthetic gases doesn't really cause problems and as long as you're suitably covered with a lead apron the radiation isn't an issue but I still preferred to dodge where I could and only stayed in with an apron on as a last resort if no one could take over.
I know I should have pursued a proper risk assessment but i just had no idea who I should be asking and kept putting it off until there was no point in the end!

I know scavenging should deal with most of the problems, in regular cases, but I still worry with kids, because we use T-pieces which are open, and trying to do a gas induction on a wriggling screaming 3 year old invariably means you breathe in some yourself! Someone in the department MUST have dealt with it before, so I'll just have to keep trying...

In our trust HR gave me a form to do with my supervisor (at this point a consultant in O+G). It was quite helpful in the sense that it got me taken off the theatre rota as I kept fainting due to the prolonged standing. Have you asked OH and HR if there is a standard form for your trust (there should be) your supervisor should then be able to do it.

I did my first one at 16 weeks but I was in GP before then so it wasn't like there were many hazards
Finally managed to get a risk assessment done, after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between consultants, managers and HR, and have been taken off relevant lists for now. Still have to go to Occ Health at some point.

I'm finding it really hard going at the moment. The sickness is bad but not unbearable, but I'm just SO tired all the time. I can just about manage work, but it totally wipes me out and I can't do anything else at all. And now I've got a cough/cold lurgy just to add to the fun!
Finally managed to get a risk assessment done, after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between consultants, managers and HR, and have been taken off relevant lists for now. Still have to go to Occ Health at some point.

I'm finding it really hard going at the moment. The sickness is bad but not unbearable, but I'm just SO tired all the time. I can just about manage work, but it totally wipes me out and I can't do anything else at all. And now I've got a cough/cold lurgy just to add to the fun!

Sounds really stressful! Have you got a good gambit of anti-emetics to take the edge off?

There have been some nasty viruses this year. I got laryngitis and bronchitis and ended up having to take lots of time off a few weeks ago. Not great! Get well soon :smile:
Sounds really stressful! Have you got a good gambit of anti-emetics to take the edge off?

There have been some nasty viruses this year. I got laryngitis and bronchitis and ended up having to take lots of time off a few weeks ago. Not great! Get well soon :smile:

I haven't taken anything yet, which I know is possibly stupid, but I keep thinking "Oh, it's not THAT bad," and carrying on a little longer. This morning I woke up not feeling nauseated and started hoping it might be getting better/panicking that I wasn't pregnant any more, but it's ended up being a worse than average day. I probably won't be able to go to the GP tomorrow but there is an Urgent Care Centre next to work - would it be wasting their time to go and see if I can get some cyclizine/similar?
Update from us:

Max is now 8 months old (since Sunday). We transferred him to his own room at the weekend (would've been sooner but we had to decorate it); the transfer didn't go too smoothly, he wouldn't nap well in the day and he kept waking at night (first night or two he was waking every 45 mins or so, it was awful, then it went down to about 5 wake ups). But last night I am pleased to say it seemed to have clicked (better not be a fluke :colonhash:) as he slept from 7.30pm-6.45am. Didn't even wake up for milk! :eek:

Mummy didn't sleep so well as she woke up at 4.30 thinking it awfully strange she hadn't heard him at all in that time. Thoughts started racing, silly cow lol. So I just *had* to sneak in and check he was breathing. Lo and behold he was of course. I still couldn't sleep after that lol. How ironic, been wanting him to go through the night for ages, the moment he does, I can't sleep through worry he's stopped breathing!!
I haven't taken anything yet, which I know is possibly stupid, but I keep thinking "Oh, it's not THAT bad," and carrying on a little longer. This morning I woke up not feeling nauseated and started hoping it might be getting better/panicking that I wasn't pregnant any more, but it's ended up being a worse than average day. I probably won't be able to go to the GP tomorrow but there is an Urgent Care Centre next to work - would it be wasting their time to go and see if I can get some cyclizine/similar?

I had a difficult time with morning sickness and cyclizine deffinitely helped. Have you thought about leaving a message for the duty doctor at your practice and asking if they can just do you a script. I can't see that they would mind. If you wanted to be really helpful you could tell them if you have ketones and do a blood pressure as well.

Nausea is a bloody awful symptom. I would get some anti-emetics ASAP. Even if you don't take them it's good to have them around.

Definitely not going to be very good at being chilled out about this TTC malarkey. Suddenly wishing I had a different job...
Who knew nappy changing (and clothes changing for that matter) could become such a stressful thing! It's just getting worse.. he's so wriggly, the second I put him on his back he immediately rolls onto his tummy and crawls away, he kicks his legs wildly, he tries to sit up etc. Oh and he throws paddies! Nightmare!

Never fun when you are changing a poo or need to be somewhere. He got poo all over my leg and the changing mat yesterday! :colonhash:

Don't suppose anyone has any tips? I've tried distraction e.g. with a toy or pack of wipes but it's not working so well anymore!
(edited 8 years ago)
Nausea is a bloody awful symptom. I would get some anti-emetics ASAP. Even if you don't take them it's good to have them around.

Definitely not going to be very good at being chilled out about this TTC malarkey. Suddenly wishing I had a different job...

One of the gynae regs took pity on my today (and told me to stop being so stupid and stubborn :o: ) so I now have a lovely bag of drugs. Fingers crossed they help!
Original post by Sazzy890
Who knew nappy changing (and clothes changing for that matter) could become such a stressful thing! It's just getting worse.. he's so wriggly, the second I put him on his back he immediately rolls onto his tummy and crawls away, he kicks his legs wildly, he tries to sit up etc. Oh and he throws paddies! Nightmare!

Never fun when you are changing a poo or need to be somewhere. He got poo all over my leg and the changing mat yesterday! :colonhash:

Don't suppose anyone has any tips? I've tried distraction e.g. with a toy or pack of wipes but it's not working so well anymore!

It is dreadful isn't it... Isaac now gets up and tries to run away mid nappy change!

One of the gynae regs took pity on my today (and told me to stop being so stupid and stubborn :o: ) so I now have a lovely bag of drugs. Fingers crossed they help!

Really hope that they work!
Attachment not found

Really hope they help you! Nausea is absolutely horrible.

My little one is almost 3 months old already... Time is going too fast :frown:

He's growing really well though, just going into 0-3 month clothing, very happy smiley baby. Weighed 10lb 14oz yesterday before his 2nd jabs. Hip scan today was fine so just waiting on his kidney scan next month to check the infection didn't cause any damage!
I thought I'd unticked that anonymous post box...

Quick Reply

Latest