The Student Room Group

Can't afford my University

Hello,

I've accepted an unconditional offer from a private University, assuming I could get loans to cover the costs.

Now I've just found out SFE England only covers £6000 of the costs and I'd have to pay £3000 myself.

I come from a very low income family and would be able to pay anywhere near that myself.

It seems like I can't go to this Univeristy now?

Thanks.
Reply 1
A lack of SF entitlement is the major disadvantage of private universities for most people - they are geared towards those students who can afford them without external financial support. Are there no public unis which offer anything akin to the degree you've chosen?
There were but it was very unlikely I'd get in them as they were conditional. Also, I've already accepted this one so they've all been declined now.
Reply 3
Ouch.

Can't think of any way round it, I'm afraid.
Reply 4
You could always turn the place down and try to get a place through Clearing at the end of June once you have your results? Or take a gap year and reapply for 2017 entry next year. If your results are better than you anticipate, you may end up with better options at unis where you'll get the full SF funding.
Reply 5
Buy a smaller one.
Original post by Klix88
You could always turn the place down and try to get a place through Clearing at the end of June once you have your results? Or take a gap year and reapply for 2017 entry next year. If your results are better than you anticipate, you may end up with better options at unis where you'll get the full SF funding.

Yeah, I'll have to see what I can do. :P Thanks for your help! :smile:

One more question, though, if I get a gap year and get bad results would I still be able to get into University in 2017 or would I need to do something to get better results or something?
Reply 7
Original post by similarBlank
Yeah, I'll have to see what I can do. :P Thanks for your help! :smile:

One more question, though, if I get a gap year and get bad results would I still be able to get into University in 2017 or would I need to do something to get better results or something?

I guess it depends on how you define "bad results". What have you been predicted?

Had you looked for degrees with a Foundation year? This essentially gives you an extra year at uni before you start the degree proper, but will sometimes accept lower grades. Not every subject will necessarily have courses with a Foundation year, but it's worth looking into if you haven't already. Plus Foundation years are covered by Student Finance (as long as they're at public unis).

Certainly there doesn't seem much point applying for uni courses with recent A Level grades which don't come close to entry requirements. You aren't given leeway just because you're a bit older than the average uni applicant. You can do an Access course at uni as a prep for uni, and uni offers can be made based on Access grade predictions. The bad news for those is that you won't get funding for an Access course until you hit 24 (the 24+ Advanced Learning Loan) and even then, it's just a loan to pay tuition fees - you'd still have to find living costs, although some are organised so you can work at the same time. If you then go on to uni and graduate, the good news is that your Access loan is wiped out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
Had you looked for degrees with a Foundation year? This essentially gives you an extra year at uni before you start the degree proper, but will sometimes accept lower grades. Not every subject will necessarily have courses with a Foundation year, but it's worth looking into if you haven't already. Plus Foundation years are covered by Student Finance (as long as they're at public unis).

Im not sure but I think the deadline for that has passed. I'll just have to figure something out I guess.

Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by similarBlank
Im not sure but I think the deadline for that has passed. I'll just have to figure something out I guess.

Thanks!

You could look for degrees with Foundation years through Clearing, with a view to starting this September.
Original post by Klix88
You could look for degrees with Foundation years through Clearing, with a view to starting this September.

I might look into that. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending