The Student Room Group

Taken 3 A Levels and want to study medicine

(edited 8 years ago)
its important to have the 3th. If you cant do it this year youll have to do it next year along with your a2's
Reply 2
Original post by lisboonpop
its important to have the 3th. If you cant do it this year youll have to do it next year along with your a2's

But how come my college never told me about this at the time and why should I be made to pay for it too when others can do it for free?
Original post by ago99
So I'm currently in my first year of college and studying maths, biology and chemistry as due to the new A Level specification I was told I only needed to take 3. My college has this thing where if you have taken 4 and want to drop a new linear subject then you have to pay to sit the AS exam this year, so I have just taken 3 AS and 3 A Level. However, I really want to apply to medicine but a lot still seem to want 4 AS levels and I'm scared I've ruined my chances even though I told college when I enrolled I wanted to study medicine and they never said 4 was necessary. I got decent GCSE grades (4A*, 6A and a C in French) but I'm afraid I've ruined it all by only taking 3 A levels. So basically I was wondering if any one had made it onto medicine with 3 AS and A Levels or if anyone knows if I still have a chance?
Thanks so much in advance:smile:
Btw, could you also list any universities that accept 3 AS for their medicine courses?

Nobody has yet applied to university after completing the new Linear A levels.
Universities are fully aware that many students no longer have the opportunity to study 4 subjects.
Entry requirements are likely to change. I suggest you contact medical schools admissions, explain your situation and ask them if they would consider you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
check with unis, many of them do not ask for AS at all for 2017 entry.
If you want to study medicine, you should have taken a humanities instead of all sciences.
Original post by StudentMay
If you want to study medicine, you should have taken a humanities instead of all sciences.

some people should think before speaking....
Original post by the_queen

I am hardly being rude, unlike you. It is a known fact that all medical schools require you to take Chemistry at A level and most require you to take Biology and at least one humanity or a subject that can show off your written communication and writing abilities. A humanity will also prove you are diverse and have a wide range of interests, just what medical schools want. By choosing all sciences you are not proving you are diverse nor are you proving you have good written communication.

If you cannot take some criticism and advice then maybe going into medicine is not the right job for you.

If you enjoy doing all sciences then maybe something such as bioengineering would be better suited for you.

Please don't be rude. Thank you.
Reply 8
For 2017 entries, most universities only require you to take 3 A-Levels, as they know that a lot of schools don't offer AS Levels anymore, as they have been made linear. Entry is now based on predictions, even if AS Levels have been taken.

I've had a look at requirements at a few different unis for a few different courses, including Medicine and Dentistry, and most of them say that they don't even take AS Levels into account, just your three best A Levels - I say best because there are some people that decide to take 4, even 5! :s-smilie:

Obviously, you should look at the universities that you want to apply to, and find out the info from their websites (the info should be there for 2017 entry, because medicine applicants have to apply much earlier), or email the med school admissions team for definite info.

Hope I helped! :biggrin:

Original post by the_queen

I am hardly being rude, unlike you. It is a known fact that all medical schools require you to take Chemistry at A level and most require you to take Biology and at least one humanity or a subject that can show off your written communication and writing abilities. A humanity will also prove you are diverse and have a wide range of interests, just what medical schools want. By choosing all sciences you are not proving you are diverse nor are you proving you have good written communication.

Other than UCL, no medical school requires or has a preference for a contrasting subject, so the claims in bold are untrue.

If you cannot take some criticism and advice then maybe going into medicine is not the right job for you.

If you enjoy doing all sciences then maybe something such as bioengineering would be better suited for you.

Please don't be rude. Thank you.

Haha no medical school require a humanities subject :|
Yes it can help so you know how to write essays but I doubt you'll get rejected just by doing all sciences. You'll learn how to write medical essays in medical school.
My friend does 3 sciences and maths and has gotten invitations to interviews by all her uni's.

Quick Reply

Latest