The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reeds 2nd round invites out this afternoon, generic email to candidates. 2 DrJ invites out yesterday afternoon, personalised email.
Original post by Forum User
First rounds at New Square coming out by personalised email - good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Congrats on your many achievements so far this cycle :smile:

Maitland rejections out by email (named) and I've heard nothing yet from New Square or Erskine.
Nothing from New Square or anyone else, but I got a mini at 39 essex, so that's something.
Original post by LadyLaw23

Maitland rejections out by email (named) and I've heard nothing yet from New Square or Erskine.

I've heard nothing from Erskine either but suspect that means that they are sending rejections by post, or are just delaying sending them by email for a few days as Radcliffe did.

Next one I'm expecting to hear from is Wilberforce, who should be telling us the news on Monday according to their website. [Also waiting for 3 and 5 Stone Buildings, but no idea when that will be].
I've heard nothing from Erskine either but suspect that means that they are sending rejections by post, or are just delaying sending them by email for a few days as Radcliffe did.

Next one I'm expecting to hear from is Wilberforce, who should be telling us the news on Monday according to their website. [Also waiting for 3 and 5 Stone Buildings, but no idea when that will be].

Same here, except for 5SB. Also not looking forward to the number of applications I have to finish and send off this weekend, though it's the last big batch of pre-Gateway deadlines, so it's gotta be done I guess.
Same here, except for 5SB. Also not looking forward to the number of applications I have to finish and send off this weekend, though it's the last big batch of pre-Gateway deadlines, so it's gotta be done I guess.

Have got my tax ones in already - have Tanfield to do over the weekend, then its a break before Hogarth and Hailsham.
Have got my tax ones in already - have Tanfield to do over the weekend, then its a break before Hogarth and Hailsham.

I wholeheartedly envy you - I've been a bit ill over the last week, so only just getting back to form in terms of work/applications...
Hi Did you finish your interview ? How was it ? Any idea what might be expected ?
Original post by Tomfish
Just got a call from Erskine inviting me to interview - best of luck everyone!
Original post by rajmatthew009
Hi Did you finish your interview ? How was it ? Any idea what might be expected ?

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm almost certain that Erskine interviews aren't until next week (ie. w/c 1 Feb) at least...
Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm almost certain that Erskine interviews aren't until next week (ie. w/c 1 Feb) at least...

You're right. [Not that I have one, but from those I know that do]
Reply 350
Original post by rajmatthew009

Hey - I'm afraid I haven't had my interview yet, having it on Monday, so I'm just as clueless as you are. I'm brushing up on my company law (not formally required for the interview, but I reckon background knowledge can't hurt) - other than that, just practising articulating answers to the standard questions and preparing to expect the unexpected. I assume you have an interview too, best of luck!

(BTW, they did offer interview slots for yesterday and the day before, so it is certainly possible that it would have already happened)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Nothing from New Square or anyone else, but I got a mini at 39 essex, so that's something.

Darn, I really wanted that mini and haven't heard anything :/ looks like that's a silent rejection then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got a Maitland rejection but an invite from New Square.

Just waiting on South Square now, but I'll probably throw my hat in the ring for the tax sets for the sake of it although I think my chances there are zero.
Original post by Radebe91
I'll probably throw my hat in the ring for the tax sets for the sake of it although I think my chances there are zero.

I'm not really sure how much they care if you've studied tax. I don't even know if they mind too much if you declined the opportunity to study tax. I'd certainly give it a go - Pump Ct and Gray's Inn are both CV/Cover letter sets, so it won't take you that long to apply anyway :smile:
Pump Ct and Gray's Inn are both CV/Cover letter sets, so it won't take you that long to apply anyway :smile:

Yeah that's what's swaying me towards applying. Probably wouldn't have done so if it was a long application form.
Original post by Tomfish
(BTW, they did offer interview slots for yesterday and the day before, so it is certainly possible that it would have already happened)

Ah apologies - I was going off the information on their website.

Original post by Radebe91
Got a Maitland rejection but an invite from New Square.

Just waiting on South Square now, but I'll probably throw my hat in the ring for the tax sets for the sake of it although I think my chances there are zero.

How/when did you get the New Square invite?

I agree with Forum User, it's definitely worth giving them a go and I'm not too sure how much they care about previous tax education/experience. Plus, everyone's got some experience of tax, even if through their own personal tax returns/PAYE, so there's definitely spinning potential on 'why this area'.
Back on the grind. Spent my Saturday evening working on my draft for my first app of the year. I'm starting far earlier than last year and will probably be getting a lot more apps in this year.

Good luck to all!
Original post by filthynines
Back on the grind. Spent my Saturday evening working on my draft for my first app of the year. I'm starting far earlier than last year and will probably be getting a lot more apps in this year.

Good luck to all!

Which areas of law are you applying for?

If chancery/commercial/property, etc. it's not actually that early.

Good luck!
I agree with Forum User, it's definitely worth giving them a go and I'm not too sure how much they care about previous tax education/experience. Plus, everyone's got some experience of tax, even if through their own personal tax returns/PAYE, so there's definitely spinning potential on 'why this area'.

Haha, yeah, "I've always gazed with fascination at my payslip".

As for New Square, I got the invite by email on Friday at about midday.
Wilberforce rejections out in the post, dated 29th January.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending