The Student Room Group

ATP: 'Corbyn supporters are angry single females with sporadic menstrual cycles.'

Just saying - apparently this rhetoric is appropriate.

It certainly doesn't seem to raise eyebrows when it's targeted against men (a bit like 'there are too many white males in Parliament' or 'white men should never hold elected position in British universities again' (from the Independent) or 'old boy's club.'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
It's true. This also explains why they are complaining so much about the 'tampon tax'.

Of course. If one remains then it's only fair the other remains.

So, can we question it? Why are angry young women with sporadic menstrual cycles more likely to vote for Corbyn?
Original post by nverjvlev
Resorting to insulting women on their menstrual cycles clearly represents the lack of solid political arguments that you can bring to this debate.

WHOOOOOSSSSSSSHHHHHHH*.
*That's the sound of the point going entirely over your head.
Reply 5
Is this a joke?? What reason could you possibly have for taxing a completely necessary and gender-specific product and calling it a luxury??

Women should not be forced to spend over £18,00 in their lifetime simply for having periods - this doesn't even cover the market price of the tampons, just the taxation. The only reason for this tax is to disadvatage women.

If pitta breads are tax-free because they are a necessity, how can you support taxing women for something natural, inevitable and out of their control? You can't.

Corbyn supporter spotted.
Is this a joke?? What reason could you possibly have for taxing a completely necessary and gender-specific product and calling it a luxury??

Women should not be forced to spend over £18,00 in their lifetime simply for having periods - this doesn't even cover the market price of the tampons, just the taxation. The only reason for this tax is to disadvatage women.

If pitta breads are tax-free because they are a necessity, how can you support taxing women for something natural, inevitable and out of their control? You can't.

Can I moan and whine about having to pay tax on razor blades? Why should I be taxed for something that is entirely out of my control? I have to shave my face! What's more, the tax on razor blades is far higher than the tax on tampons - 'it's the matriarchy; the higher tax on razor blades is systemic discrimination against men!'

More to the point, why should I be taxed on toilet roll? I have to poo - how dare they tax me for it! More to the point, I have to pay for water? Are you kidding me?! I have to pay to drink!? Oh, the humanity.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by AboveTheParapet
Can I moan and whine about having to pay tax on razor blades? Why should I be taxed for something that is entirely out of my control? I have to shave my face! What's more, the tax on razor blades is far higher than the tax on tampons - it's the matriarchy!

More to the point, why should I be taxed on toilet roll? I have to poo - how dare they tax me for it! More to the point, I have to pay for water? Are you kidding me?! I have to pay to drink!? Oh, the humanity.

Actually, the cost of razors for women, who are also expected to shave, is much more than the cost of razors for men.

Shaving is more of a choice than having periods. Women can't just choose not to have a period or to have them less frequently. You get one every month whether you like it or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't see the point on tampon tax tbh. It's quite possibly the most ludicrous and absurd thing. And it doesn't make sense that tampons (a necessity for women) are taxed and things like jaffa cakes aren't.
Original post by Katty3
Actually, the cost of razors for women, who are also expected to shave, is much more than the cost of razors for men.

Shaving is more of a choice than having periods. Women can't just choose not to have a period or to have them less frequently. You get one every month whether you like it or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And unless any of these guys didn't realise, the process that periods are a result of is the reason they (men) are here in the first place.
Original post by Craig1998
I don't see the point on tampon tax tbh. It's quite possibly the most ludicrous and absurd thing. And it doesn't make sense that tampons (a necessity for women) are taxed and things like jaffa cakes aren't.

The insult doesn't come from us having to pay for tampons every month. Like that's just an acceptable thing that we have to pay for this stuff to avoid blood going absolutely everywhere (which I'm sure nobody would love). It's the fact that it's taxed BECAUSE it's a luxury item. It's just the principle of that is ridiculous.
Original post by Katty3

Posted from TSR Mobile

The tax on razor blades is higher than the tax on tampons.

Men need to shave more frequently than women. Correct - women can't just choose not to have a period. Much in the same way I just can't choose not to grow a beard. So...there's a simple solution. Men won't shave and women will bleed freely. Sorted. Either that, or we both accept taxation, much like there's taxation on ALL of life's necessities.

To me, all this demonstrates is women aren't willing to pay their way on EQUAL terms to men - I thought women were strong, capable and empowered? On that basis, why should they be afforded preferential treatment? So, do you want preferential treatment, or equality?

It certainly doesn't seem to raise eyebrows when it's targeted against men (a bit like 'there are too many white males in Parliament' or 'white men should never hold elected position in British universities again' (from the Independent) or 'old boy's club.'

Awww, diddums :colone:

I do apologise but have you seen how hot some female Trump supporters are?
Original post by EtherealNymph22
And unless any of these guys didn't realise, the process that periods are a result of is the reason they (men) are here in the first place.

There's a circular argument. Without men, you wouldn't be here either.

But let's take your logic to the extremity. Say I don't shave for a month. It's arguable I won't be as attractive as I would be if I had shaved - further, many women complain if a beard is 'unshaved', or stubbly' (it irritates their skin and they don't want to kiss). On this basis, it's arguable I won't attract women. On this basis, it's arguable I won't impregnate women. On this basis, shaving is an essential component in reproduction.

Yeah agree, completely sexist double standards.

Toilet roll is taxed, isn't it?
There's a circular argument. Without men, you wouldn't be here either.

But let's take your logic to the extremity. Say I don't shave for a month. It's arguable I won't be as attractive as I would be if I had shaved - further, many women complain if a beard is 'unshaved', or stubbly' (it irritates their skin and they don't want to kiss). On this basis, it's arguable I won't attract women. On this basis, it's arguable I won't impregnate women. On this basis, shaving is an essential component in reproduction.

Haha yeah I know what you mean but I mean if desperation set in you would still impregnate. What you're talking about is vanity and shallow stuff- not biological mechanisms of reproduction that are fundamental. Your sperm are not scarce which is why you don't mind knocking one out every day. Every month the release of an egg is a physical and emotional burden for a woman.

If women resorted to say, having a progesterone only pill or an implant because of the cost and inconvenience of periods there is no way she's gonna be having a baby. Your stubble doesn't block the biological basis of reproduction.

Having a bit of stubble is not the same as having copious amounts of blood coming from your genitals for once a week every month.

It's apples and oranges.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EtherealNymph22
Haha yeah I know what you mean but I mean if desperation set in you would still impregnate. If woman resorted to say, having a progesterone only pull or an implant because of the cost and inconvenience of periods there is no way she's gonna be having a baby.

Having a bit of stubble is not the same as having copious amounts of blood coming from your genitals for once a week every month.

It's apples and oranges.

It's not though. Opting out of the shaving process will affect your marketable value - you'd look like a hobo and I only need to traverse a few progressive websites, or Facebook, to find hundreds of thousands of comments from women who 'hate the irritation of stubble.'

In any case, if you want to remove taxation from one you have to remove taxation on the other - much like toilet roll, water, and every other product orientated around biological imperatives.
That's a completely different debate - toilet roll is used by all people groups so the tax doesn't disadvantage anyone.

Are you sure? I'm willing to bet women disproportionately use bidets. Women also poo less and in smaller quantities. In accordance with your logic, this is systemic discrimination against those who poo more frequently ('those who poo more frequently' is just as arbitrary a group as 'women', or 'men').

Quick Reply

Latest