The Student Room Group

National Citezen Service (NCS)?

I've just signed up for NCS
Anyone got any fun/interesting memories from their NCS experience?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing it from the 23rd of July to August 14th. From London, hope we can all be friends! Where are you guys doing it?
I did it a couple of summers ago, still have the cookbook we made! Was decent, especially on the residentials

Posted from TSR Mobile
no
What actually is NCS? I've heard a few people talk about it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
national citizen service? I only ask cos there are quite a few abbreviations
Took part in 2014 and was probably up with the top 3 best things I have ever done! If you want to know anything or have questions feel free to message me:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by rugbybeast
I did it a couple of summers ago, still have the cookbook we made! Was decent, especially on the residentials

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you expand please? I'm so excited!! I want to know what to bring etc :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by Wisdom2
Can you expand please? I'm so excited!! I want to know what to bring etc :smile:

Thanks!

Can't remember much but we made a cookbook for our project and raised a few hundred for a couple of charities. Went to pgl and was fun, one of our people fell from Jacobs ladder all the way to the bottom and the pgl staff got the sack for it haha. (I'll be working at pgl soon and won't let this happen dw :tongue:) camping was quality and everyone stayed up shouting between the tents. Anyway don't worry about what your doing/what to take. It's basically just hanging out with your mates for a few weeks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRsteven
What actually is NCS? I've heard a few people talk about it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its like a end of year 11 activity thingy.
You spend one week at an adventure centre and one week in a university hall of residence and then spend 2 weeks doing community rebuilding.
Its about making you ready for uni life and making friends :tongue:
I'm going to be doing the NCS programme that's taking place on the 23rd July-14th August this year, look forward to seeing anyone else that will be there.
Also, if you are considering signing up, feel free to use my discount code :smile: -
ST149910
Can't remember much but we made a cookbook for our project and raised a few hundred for a couple of charities. Went to pgl and was fun, one of our people fell from Jacobs ladder all the way to the bottom and the pgl staff got the sack for it haha. (I'll be working at pgl soon and won't let this happen dw :tongue:) camping was quality and everyone stayed up shouting between the tents. Anyway don't worry about what your doing/what to take. It's basically just hanging out with your mates for a few weeks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!!

Sounds really good!

Do they give us rucksacks and tents? Or do, we have to buy them? :smile:
Original post by Wisdom2
Thanks!!

Sounds really good!

Do they give us rucksacks and tents? Or do, we have to buy them? :smile:

They give you the tents and was all set up for you, just had to bring a bag of all your stuff :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow! Really!!! I'm so looking forward to this. Last thing, how big should the rucksack I buy be? Or will they supply that aswell? :smile:

Thanks for everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wisdom2
Oh wow! Really!!! I'm so looking forward to this. Last thing, how big should the rucksack I buy be? Or will they supply that aswell? :smile:

Thanks for everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You won't need to buy a rucksack if you have a suitcase or anything that is small/big enough for one week :smile: generally in the non-activity based residential you won't need that much as its mainly talks and planning

Posted from TSR Mobile
You won't need to buy a rucksack if you have a suitcase or anything that is small/big enough for one week :smile: generally in the non-activity based residential you won't need that much as its mainly talks and planning

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much!!!!! I hope, I enjoy it as much as you do!
Do you have any tips for how to have a great time :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds good! Do we HAVE to Swim?
I did it summer 2015 and it was great. We were at PGL Weymouth for the first week, at Caldecotte Xperience for the 2nd week (woo we were the first people allowed in the new yurt village!) and then were helping homeless people for our social action project.

If you make the most of it, it will be the best time of your life. I'm a really antisocial person but I made amazing friends that I'm always meeting up with. Really, it's the people who make it great. Doing PGL as your first week bonds your group so quickly, as although you're strangers you are in high pressure situations and become completely exposed. When you go home the first weekend you miss them so much and you can't wait to start the second week.

I seriously can't recommend NCS enough.
Original post by supernerdural
I did it summer 2015 and it was great. We were at PGL Weymouth for the first week, at Caldecotte Xperience for the 2nd week (woo we were the first people allowed in the new yurt village!) and then were helping homeless people for our social action project.

If you make the most of it, it will be the best time of your life. I'm a really antisocial person but I made amazing friends that I'm always meeting up with. Really, it's the people who make it great. Doing PGL as your first week bonds your group so quickly, as although you're strangers you are in high pressure situations and become completely exposed. When you go home the first weekend you miss them so much and you can't wait to start the second week.

I seriously can't recommend NCS enough.

Thanks for the help!! I've already met 2 others that are doing it at the same wave/time as me, so that should be good! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did NCS exist before 2011 (year of the riots )?
Original post by shawn_o1
Did NCS exist before 2011 (year of the riots )?

No it's a relatively new scheme. It was only the second year running when I took part (2014)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending