The Student Room Group

What do you think of Coldplay's new song? Is it "misusing" indian culture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YykjpeuMNEk&index=1&list=PLJX75TvVw_W3dGWcrFxvx-8mLgBCsTL05

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35449878/hymn-for-the-weekend-is-being-criticised-for-misusing-indian-culture

Personally I think it's not bad for a Coldplay song and that they could have done worse regarding "misusing" the Indian culture!

What do y'all think? :wink: :biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think it's a really nice video and it makes me really really want to visit India! I think the culture is so beautiful.:biggrin:
I really don't see how it's a misuse. People just like to complain.
Reply 2
I don't see how it's a misuse, even after reading the BBC newsbeat article. People from India don't mind people dressing up and immersing themselves in their culture as Coldplay have done, as long as it's not offensive. The music video isn't offensive at all, I think some of those tweets are an overreaction for sure
Original post by StrawbAri
I think it's a really nice video and it makes me really really want to visit India! I think the culture is so beautiful.:biggrin:
I really don't see how it's a misuse. People just like to complain.

Ikr!
"Why are we mad at Beyonce for cultural appropriation when we could be mad that she made us listen to a Coldplay song?"
:laugh:
Reply 4
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Ikr!
"Why are we mad at Beyonce for cultural appropriation when we could be mad that she made us listen to a Coldplay song?"
:laugh:

You don't like Coldplay??
Chapter 1,675,352 in the "I'm offended!" age.
Original post by kishanck
I don't see how it's a misuse, even after reading the BBC newsbeat article. People from India don't mind people dressing up and immersing themselves in their culture as Coldplay have done, as long as it's not offensive. The music video isn't offensive at all, I think some of those tweets are an overreaction for sure

Yess! :yes:
"What about Indians that decide to dress "western" ?"
Original post by kishanck
You don't like Coldplay??

No I love Coldplay I was just loving this tweet on the newsbeat article
:biggrin::tongue:

Spoiler

Original post by Wilfred Little

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I don't like Coldplay but FFS, some 'cultures' need to get a grip.

Literally billions worldwide take pleasure in extracting the piss from the Brits, Yanks, French, Italians, Spanish, Swedes, Belgians, Russians at al. Why is it that only certain 'cultures' have no sense of self-ridicule and cannot see how ridiculous and futile their protests are?

The more they protest, the more others will goad them.

Get with the plot.
Reply 10
i genuinely think hardly any indians actually care lol
Original post by baleh
i genuinely think hardly any indians actually care lol

So it's non Indians that are complaining about the misuse of Indian culture.
So ridiculous yet so expected.
:facepalm:
I listened to the song and before I did, assumed that there would be sitars or something like was done in the late 60's /early 70's with rock music. Back then, the Indian musicians were delighted.
Various musicians have mixed African/ Indian / South American and Arab music with their own and everybody generally doesn't claim " misappropriation"

All Coldplay did was borrow a location FFS!
I have seen Bollywood musicals in (Hindi?) but filmed in England with fake grenadier guards and beefeaters .

It's only music
Original post by StrawbAri

lols I got some bad news for you....India is smelly, dirty and everywhere is poverty stricken
Original post by Wilfred Little

Where is the lie...

Culture should be spread and enjoyed by as many people who want it. Just bc its part of Indian culture doesn't mean they have the right to decide what everybody else does with it, especially as its not in a negative light.
Original post by Ronda Rousey
lols I got some bad news for you....India is smelly, dirty and everywhere is poverty stricken

You must be fun at parties :yep:
Reply 16
Original post by Ronda Rousey

:hide:
Oftentimes, our most common reference to something atrocious totally misrepresents the truth, making us think it’s all in good fun.

For instance, if you think about the real story of Pocahontas, having your daughter pretend to be her on Halloween is pretty disturbing. The real Pocahontas, whose given name was Matoaka, was abducted as a teenager, forced to marry an Englishman (not John Smith, by the way), and used as propaganda for racist practices before she died at the age of 21.

And it almost feels like that propaganda never ended, as our popular lessons on what happened between colonizing settlers and Indigenous people depict Native people as savages, or as happy, mystical characters, or as entirely absent.

We don’t hear the real stories, and most of us don’t live with a direct connection to their suffering.

Does the truth matter, when it comes to a little girl just trying to enjoy a holiday? You might think it does if she wanted to dress up as someone whose tragic truth is more familiar, like Anne Frank.

They’re both girls with harrowing stories. But more of us believe that trivializing Anne Frank’s life is in very poor taste. Can you imagine the outcry if Disney tried to romanticize her diary by aging her into a young woman with a love affair with a Nazi officer and a happy ending?

Now imagine if that Disney movie was mainstream culture’s primary reference for the Holocaust. And if it was marketed to Germans, who were told that the historical figures who oppressed the Jewish people were their country’s heroes.

Creepy, right?
Reply 18
But black people can't be racist, and therefore, culturally appropriate :cookie:
I was surprisingly enjoying it, until Beyonce appeared...

Does anyone else not find it mildly irritating that, Chris Martin can look as normal, and everyday as he does, but Beyonce must be tarted up as if she was a "Bratz go to India" doll. Her voice is talent enough, why make a gimmick out of herself?

The fact that every female musician apart from Adele feels their music must be half image, just makes me feel annoyed for my gender tbh. Chris Martin looks like a man with respect, Beyonce just looks like an idiot.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest