The Student Room Group

Sister with eating problems

Hi, so basically my sister has eating problems they first started a few years ago when she was on exam leave and she monitored everything she ate and compared it to what i ate eventhough she didnt see me for most of the day because i was at school. She just wanted to not gain weight but tgat urned into her loosing weuhht as a result. She got better after exam leave and started to gain weight (in a healthy way) after but then the next year she went on exam leave again and it started up again. This time i was also on leave (im one year below her at school) and kinda knew what was happening, we have a good relationship and she is ok with talking about it so i know quite a lot but i only tend to hear about the lastest thing after its happened so im not that up to date. Again she got better when off exam leave but now we are on exam leave for the finaly time together as she is off to uni next year and im worried it will happen again. I think i overheard her talking to my mum about not trusting herself again and i dont know what to do. Not that i can do anything but i have been noticing her cutting down now and then and im getting really worried again.
I guess its also because it effects me (which sounds really self centered) but it can be really hard because i know that she is watching what i eat and making sure she eats slightly less to keep on top of things as it were. So to compensate for that and to try and help her im finding myself eating more and i dont have an eating disorder but i do not want to gain weight like most people so by me looking out for her im also noticing what i eat more and i do want it to turn into an eating disorder. I also find myself getting really angry at her but cant express those feeling because she is worse off than me and it is not her fault so i have never told her how it effects me. Writing this is making me realise exactly how much ut has become an issue in my life and even if i havent expressed it well i really care for her and need her to be ok but its hard when i dont know what tp do!
Please i would love any advise at all! Thank you!
wow, this sounds really awful. I think the only real solution is for your sister to get help, perhaps therapy or counselling. I would suggest not eating with her in the meantime. Can I ask if you're twins or of the same gender?
Is she speaking to a professional? things like these are often a compulsion that needs to be talked about with someone who understand the medical problem. Don't put it all on yourself, she needs to get advice from someone who knows exactly what she needs to do and you can show your support in whatever way they suggest
Reply 3
Thanks for replying guys! And we are both girls which is guess makes it easier to monitor from me? And she has been to the gp and had a therapist person but she thought that wasn't helping which surprised me and my mum given she is so good at talking and says she likes to. Now my mum is seeing the same person as my sister used to to try to work out ways for her to deal with it because it's effecting my mum as well. My sister also had to go to the gp because her periods stopped which has less to a magnitude of doctors appointments but I don't like to pry immediately after she goes to them which is prove my why I'm left in the dark I must know I wouldn't want her asking if it were me.
Reply 4
Im beginning to wonder whether i should see someone to know exactly what would help her
Original post by inspector_me
x

She will only put on weight if she eats above her caloric maintenance level.
From reading your info, your sister fails to distinguish basic principles in dieting
that everyone has a different maintenance level i.e some can eat more/less calories than another who might be the same weight as them but it comes down to so many variables such as genetics, diet, level of exercise etc.

I'd say take her to counselling before her relationship with food becomes worse
OR tell her to weigh herself everyday & average it after a week + track her calories(macros) to help give her structure to her eating habits.

Gl ! :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
She will only put on weight if she eats above her caloric maintenance level.
From reading your info, your sister fails to distinguish basic principles in dieting
that everyone has a different maintenance level i.e some can eat more/less calories than another who might be the same weight as them but it comes down to so many variables such as genetics, diet, level of exercise etc.

I'd say take her to counselling before her relationship with food becomes worse
OR tell her to weigh herself everyday & average it after a week + track her calories(macros) to help give her structure to her eating habits.

Gl ! :wink:

Yeah she definately hasnt quite grasped dieting which is wierd because she like a straight a student. And im worried that would make her more obsessed
there isn't much you can do in terms of her eating disorder, save supporting her and being there for her... however if she is open it might be worth talking as a family about how you feel and what is making things hard for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending