The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Is UCL just massively overrated or does it deserve being 7th in the world?

Hi everyone,

After looking at the contrast between UK and world rankings I noticed UCL was the most dramatic.

Is UCL really the 7th best uni above the likes of Durham, St Andrews, Princeton, Yale, Columbia ext. (QS world rankings)?

It seems odd that it should be ranked 9th in the UK and 7th in the world, so is it just massively overrated?

Scroll to see replies

I think it's due to it's global reputation , since St Andrews and Durham aren't really known of outside of the UK.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
It's best to understand this by separating "reputation" with "teaching quality".

World rankings are largely based on academic research. The more a university pumps out valuable academic research, the better world ranking it gets.

This unfortunately has nothing to do with undergraduate studies. UCL is unsurprisingly dismal at teaching most of its courses -- the teachers are busy pumping out research.
Have you seen it's accommodation its peak :frown:
Reply 4
Most of UCL's buildings are old and dingy, especially the student union. A few departments have good facilities, like civil engineering and medicine, but the buildings housing them are ugly.
Reply 5
More amazing than Princeton, Yale, Imperial, LSE, Durham, St andrews, Columbia???

I just don't see any evidence that it can be better than universities like Yale and Princeton.
Original post by JAJM
More amazing than Princeton, Yale, Imperial, LSE, Durham, St andrews, Columbia???

I just don't see any evidence that it can be better than universities like Yale and Princeton.

In my opinion, it isn't better than Princeton, Yale, Imperial, LSE, or Columbia.
Reply 7
Original post by JAJM
Hi everyone,

After looking at the contrast between UK and world rankings I noticed UCL was the most dramatic.

Is UCL really the 7th best uni above the likes of Durham, St Andrews, Princeton, Yale, Columbia ext. (QS world rankings)?

It seems odd that it should be ranked 9th in the UK and 7th in the world, so is it just massively overrated?

Don't look at world rankings for undergraduate degrees.
And don't look at QS. This ranking is better:
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2016/world-ranking#!/page/0/length/100

Biased. :biggrin:
St Andrews is a great undergrad Uni but not a big name when it comes to research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what difference does it make if it is better or worse than Durham, St Andrews, Princeton, Yale, Columbia etc. The bottom line is that UCL is a fantastic university to study at. :smile:
Original post by JAJM

UCL better than Imperial? No. Imperial is better no questions + Last I checked Imperial ranks higher than UCL internationally.

UCL better than LSE? Internationally, yes. Nationally, no.

UCL Better than Yale/Princeton? Hard to say different education systems though I'd argue UK education>US education. 4 years to complete a BSc(3 year) degree in UK. :sigh: FailFish

Essentially, your paying +1 year "college" tuition fees for a extra year in high school paying to take on classes, which doesn't even impact your major. #gpwaste
(edited 8 years ago)
QS rankings r bull ****. Brown is placed way below bristol and NUS is places above Yale. Its too wrong
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
UCL better than Imperial? No. Imperial is better no questions + Last I checked Imperial ranks higher than UCL internationally.

UCL Better than Yale/Princeton? Hard to say different education systems though I'd argue UK education>US education. 4 years to complete a BSc(3 year) degree in UK. :sigh: FailFish

Essentially, your paying +1 year "college" tuition fees for a extra year in high school paying to take on classes, which doesn't even impact your major. #gpwaste

Princeton for undergraduate is the toughest to get into in US. so Princeton >>>>>>> UCL
Original post by Duke Glacia
Princeton for undergraduate is the toughest to get into in US. so Princeton >>>>>>> UCL

Nah that's Stanford isn't it? But ofc Princeton/Harvard are not far behind
Original post by Student403
Nah that's Stanford isn't it? But ofc Princeton/Harvard are not far behind

actually it depends on the subject. Like stanford for engineering(or compsci). Pronceton for pure maths,
actually it depends on the subject. Like stanford for engineering(or compsci). Pronceton for pure maths,

No I mean to get admitted to

In Princeton/Harvard/Stanford you apply to the university, not a specific programme (for undergrad)
Reply 16
Original post by DeadEnd_96
what difference does it make if it is better or worse than Durham, St Andrews, Princeton, Yale, Columbia etc. The bottom line is that UCL is a fantastic university to study at. :smile:

Not sure if Princeton or Yale ever had a rat infection in their undergraduate accommodations.
Original post by Student403
No I mean to get admitted to

In Princeton/Harvard/Stanford you apply to the university, not a specific programme (for undergrad)

Yeah ur right. (totally forgot abt that):tongue:

just checked data. Its stanford.
then comes harvard yale columbia and few other ivies and military academy
Yeah ur right. (totally forgot abt that):tongue:

just checked data. Its stanford.
then comes harvard yale columbia and few other ivies and military academy

Yeah and MIT/Caltech/Uchicago :biggrin:
In Conclusion nothing beats South Hampshire Institute of Technology(a.k.a ****)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending