The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jojo456
I am starting to brick it about uni application. My ideal choice is Bristol but I would be more than happy getting a place. BHam, but neither have a given me a reply yet :frown: i sent off about 3 weeks and ive got offers from liverpool and cardiff which i guess is not bad.

I have 7 a's 1 a* and 2b and 2c's at GCSE, i got 29 in the LNAT and i have a 37 prediction in IB with 666 higher. I think the fact that i havent heard back probably means they didnt like my PS and/or my LNAT essay, both of which i feel i screwed up now :'(

Cardiff it is for me i guess, its not that its not a good uni i just had my hopes set on the other two, good luck everyone

29 is an excellent score. Bristol place emphasis on the score, not the essay. They're just very slow. My son applied on 21st Oct and got an offer on 5th Jan.
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Yes I got my Birmingham offer in September :biggrin:

When did you apply? :shy2:

Spoiler

Original post by JohnGreek
26 - Offers from UCL and Bristol, post-interview rejection from Oxford :smile:

if you don't mind me asking, what are your predicted grades?
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
When did you apply? :shy2:

Spoiler

Thank you! I applied in September and also applied to Oxford, kcl, ucl, queen Mary and lse. Got all my offers except Oxford, was rejected after interview:s-smilie:. What about you?
Thank you! I applied in September and also applied to Oxford, kcl, ucl, queen Mary and lse. Got all my offers except Oxford, was rejected after interview:s-smilie:. What about you?

I applied to UCL, KCL, Bristol, Birmingham and UEA. I have offers so far from UCL and UEA - they were my favourite two, as well as a good firm and insurance so I don't particularly mind about the others. But I'm still a bit anxious to hear back from them! :lol:

Hold on did you apply to Birmingham? You've just listed five universities and you also said you applied to Birmingham?! :redface:

EDIT: I swear I've seen you post on here that you've had offers from more universities than you can apply to? I am so confused. :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GigiRaffaeli
I don't think this whole attitude towards non-British students is fair... I got 26 in my LNAT and still haven't heard anything from anyone... Especially Durham and KCL, my first choices. I don't think my essay was that bad either... I'm trying not to give up hope... Ps: I'm Italian

I know that this is something well known, but I can say that cannot be the case with EU students because our fees are exactly the same as yours, so unis don't benefit in any way. On the other hand, non EU ones are much higher...
Do you guys still think even if you got a decent RG uni like Bristol or Warwick that it's unlikely you'll get a training contract? Hear all these horror stories about having to wait 3 years or work as a paralegal first, jw if this mostly applies to poly Uni's or whether this is sometimes the case with RG too

Posted from TSR Mobile

How was the interview? Can I ask what you got at GCSE too please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli19919
Do you guys still think even if you got a decent RG uni like Bristol or Warwick that it's unlikely you'll get a training contract? Hear all these horror stories about having to wait 3 years or work as a paralegal first, jw if this mostly applies to poly Uni's or whether this is sometimes the case with RG too

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it's impossible... I mean, Bristol is very well respected among legal circles, for instance. I hear stories of how some (maybe US?) firms almost exclusively recruit from Oxbridge or renowned London unis, though. :redface:
I don't think this whole attitude towards non-British students is fair... I got 26 in my LNAT and still haven't heard anything from anyone... Especially Durham and KCL, my first choices. I don't think my essay was that bad either... I'm trying not to give up hope... Ps: I'm Italian

Yeah, its really unfair, I feel like they should be more lenient towards you. I think KCL and Durham are just like that to every applicant tbh :biggrin: but I definitely think the gov's negative attitude towards international students has made it way harder for you as well. :angry: That's good about your essay - try not to worry too much its a great score and there will be others with terrible essays (aha mine was one of these lol) Oooo Italian that's awesome!
Original post by jojo456
I am starting to brick it about uni application. My ideal choice is Bristol but I would be more than happy getting a place. BHam, but neither have a given me a reply yet :frown: i sent off about 3 weeks and ive got offers from liverpool and cardiff which i guess is not bad.

I have 7 a's 1 a* and 2b and 2c's at GCSE, i got 29 in the LNAT and i have a 37 prediction in IB with 666 higher. I think the fact that i havent heard back probably means they didnt like my PS and/or my LNAT essay, both of which i feel i screwed up now :'(

Cardiff it is for me i guess, its not that its not a good uni i just had my hopes set on the other two, good luck everyone

Wow, that's a really good score! People are holding offers with much lower LNAT scores. I don't think you should be worrying a lot of us on here (me included) have been waiting since Oct/Nov and haven't received any word form Bristol - they are slow give it some time :wink:
Original post by oli19919

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I do think its pretty hard to find one regardless of whether you were RG or not. Especially if your trying to get a magic circle one they seem to usually just do Oxbridge and the international firms too. Bristol seems to have a really good rep with firms after Oxbridge/Durham/UCL/KCL types if you look at the employment stats. There are many diff smaller regional/national/high street firms where its a lot easier than competing for London contracts though.
Sounds everybody apply for the KCL and oxford.....
My options are UCL,KCL, Warwick, Manchester and LSE.
Why the KCL is popular????
I would choose American program in KCL(only provide in KCL).
I know that this is something well known, but I can say that cannot be the case with EU students because our fees are exactly the same as yours, so unis don't benefit in any way. On the other hand, non EU ones are much higher...

As I see it, Euro students are last in the queue from uni acceptance point of view. First they like international, as they bring real cash to the Unis, second they need UK students as it couldn't be seen as pollitically correct if they were to give out more places to non-Brits especially as it is, after all, the nice UK government supplying the finance.

There is enough demand from Europe to fill all UK uni places so actually the unis come up with ways to make it harder for them. One clear descimination is the rediculous demands placed on IB students compared to A level, cutting down a lot of the numbers that would otherwise be getting offers at the higher end.

It's ironic that I'm actually British but because I spent my entire school life living in other European countries I am classed in the European pool and feel I am penalized because of it.

Nobody will officially say but I have the feeling the breakdown is:

1. 60% UK only pollitically
2. As many cash internationals as we can find to fill the remaining 40%
3. EU to fill the % difference if we cant find enough internationals and so argue we do not desciminate.
4. Any Unis that no Brits want to go to, market in EU as the foreigners might not realize they are useless.

It is only natural state of affairs.
Original post by Louisevilles
Sounds everybody apply for the KCL and oxford.....
My options are UCL,KCL, Warwick, Manchester and LSE.
Why the KCL is popular????
I would choose American program in KCL(only provide in KCL).

1. Its London
2. In the past almost 1 in 3 has got some form of scholarship
3. It's not bad comparatively but behind UCL&LSE for kudos
Original post by Cholesta
29 is an excellent score. Bristol place emphasis on the score, not the essay. They're just very slow. My son applied on 21st Oct and got an offer on 5th Jan.

Thank you so much for the support, congratulations to your son for the offer :smile:
Anyone else waiting for King's decision? I'm so nervous... Got 26 on the LNAT, my essay was fine, I believe, and I'm predicted 777 (A*A*A*) and 44/45 (IB) but I'm an EU student so I think then may reject me :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cuddledumpling
Wow, that's a really good score! People are holding offers with much lower LNAT scores. I don't think you should be worrying a lot of us on here (me included) have been waiting since Oct/Nov and haven't received any word form Bristol - they are slow give it some time :wink:

Aha thank you so much for the support! I admire your rational and calm attitude ahaha, if u don't mind me asking, what kinda grades did u apply with? And what was ur lnat?
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
I don't think it's impossible... I mean, Bristol is very well respected among legal circles, for instance. I hear stories of how some (maybe US?) firms almost exclusively recruit from Oxbridge or renowned London unis, though. :redface:

Hi, what about Manchester? i'm starting to think i should've applied to Bristol lol
Original post by Satoshii
Hi, what about Manchester? i'm starting to think i should've applied to Bristol lol

Manchester is a great university for law, fairly well represented in some top firms I believe. Plus they have a good place in the international rankings, it's quite well known and well regarded. :smile:

Where did you apply?

Latest

Trending

Trending