Computer Science 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Alright that's nice to hear. Thanks
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 161
So I just got invited for an online admissions test.
Anyone have any tips or information about the exam?
Reply 162
Just got an offer for MEng Computing! Anybody else got an offer email?
Original post by zshn

Congrats! What's the conditions? :smile:

edit: oh yeh they prob haven't come through yet have they lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Nice dude, I still haven't got my interview yet, I fear rejection now because it is getting close to the final interview date and i still haven't heard anything from them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 165
Original post by Rabadon
Congrats! What's the conditions? :smile:

edit: oh yeh they prob haven't come through yet have they lol

Thanks man! Yeah, no idea on the conditions yet, doesn't help that UCAS Track is down.
Can anyone tell me what the interview is like? I have mine on Wednesday and was wondering what sort of questions they can ask. I've heard a lot of it is personal statement based but how often do they ask mathematical or logical problem questions? would like to know the sort of thing to revise.
Reply 167
Original post by zshn

Same!! :smile:
Reply 168
Original post by Alby1234
Can anyone tell me what the interview is like? I have mine on Wednesday and was wondering what sort of questions they can ask. I've heard a lot of it is personal statement based but how often do they ask mathematical or logical problem questions? would like to know the sort of thing to revise.

There's a lot of discussion about your personal statement and your motivation to study Computing. It helps if you've done an EPQ on a computing-related topic (or if you're just interested and have researched a certain area), as it gives you something to discuss with the interviewer.

Everyone on my interview day pretty much got two logic questions, kinda like small puzzles instead of involving too much maths. If you're asked a maths question it will probably be sketching some sort of graph, so I'd make sure you're familiar with the graphs you're expected to know at A Level, they'll probably ask you to draw a combination of two (e.g. drawing sin(X)/X is easier if you know sin(X) and 1/X). You will almost definitely need to ask for a hint from the interviewer so don't be worried if you don't understand a question immediately, try your best to work through it and speak aloud about your thought process. It took me a lot of hints to stumble through answering the first question.

It's a lot less formal than you think it is, look smart but I don't think there's any need to wear a suit. I did, but a lot of people didn't and they still looked appropriately dressed.

Hope this helps!

Original post by realhb
Same!! :smile:

Congrats! Have you got your conditions yet?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 169
Original post by zshn
Congrats! Have you got your conditions yet?

Nope not yet, it said on the email within the coming weeks, I'm nervous it's going to be really high :s-smilie:
Reply 170
Original post by realhb
Nope not yet, it said on the email within the coming weeks, I'm nervous it's going to be really high :s-smilie:

Yeah if there's STEP in the offer I'm probably not going to firm it :/
Original post by zshn

Where else did you apply to?
Reply 172
Original post by edothero
Where else did you apply to?

Imperial, Warwick, Birmingham, Southampton, Loughborough (biggest regret of my life). How about you?
Original post by zshn
Imperial, Warwick, Birmingham, Southampton, Loughborough (biggest regret of my life). How about you?

Why do you regret it lmao
Imperial, UCL, KCL, QMUL

No reply from Imperial or UCL as of yet I'm afraid

Good luck with the offer, hoping no STEP!
Reply 174
Why do you regret it lmao
Imperial, UCL, KCL, QMUL

No reply from Imperial or UCL as of yet I'm afraid

Good luck with the offer, hoping no STEP!

Did you only apply to 4? What grades did you get?

And your choices are a lot better than mine imo, I realised after I'd applied that studying in London would be awesome. I picked Loughborough as a backup (ABB offer) but I wish I'd applied to UCL instead :/
Original post by zshn
Did you only apply to 4? What grades did you get?

And your choices are a lot better than mine imo, I realised after I'd applied that studying in London would be awesome. I picked Loughborough as a backup (ABB offer) but I wish I'd applied to UCL instead :/

I applied to UCL twice (Comp Sci and EEE)
I have an offer from UCL EEE (with a Comp Sci personal statement) but I want the Comp Sci offer, I don't think I'll be accepting the EEE offer..

Predicted A*AA (Maths FM Physics - Though my goal is A*A*A)

Hopefully either UCL or Imperial give me an offer for Computer Science. If they do, King's will be my Insurance
If not, then I'll probably end up at King's unless I can make some magic happen through adjustment on results day.
I'm not too hopeful with Imperial to be honest but I sincerely hope that the UCL Computer Science department don't let me down
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 176
I applied to UCL twice (Comp Sci and EEE)
I have an offer from UCL EEE (with a Comp Sci personal statement) but I want the Comp Sci offer, I don't think I'll be accepting the EEE offer..

Predicted A*AA (Maths FM Physics - Though my goal is A*A*A)

Hopefully either UCL or Imperial give me an offer for Computer Science. If they do, King's will be my Insurance
If not, then I'll probably end up at King's unless I can make some magic happen through adjustment on results day.
I'm not too hopeful with Imperial to be honest but I sincerely hope that the UCL Computer Science department don't let me down

You have the exact same predicted grades, subjects and goal as me! No reason that UCL and Imperial won't give you an interview at least.
Original post by zshn

It would seem kinda unfair to give a STEP offer so late when people (I think) started preparing quite a while ago. And they seem so inconsistent with who gets STEP or not - looking at last years Imperial CS thread it was seemingly random and possibly didn't even matter if you did badly in it.
Original post by zshn
You have the exact same predicted grades, subjects and goal as me! No reason that UCL and Imperial won't give you an interview at least.

I also have those predicted grades and still waiting on a response/interview from Imperial. They have to contact soon with that last interview day getting very close...
Reply 179
Original post by KingKumar
It would seem kinda unfair to give a STEP offer so late when people (I think) started preparing quite a while ago. And they seem so inconsistent with who gets STEP or not - looking at last years Imperial CS thread it was seemingly random and possibly didn't even matter if you did badly in it.

Yeah I hope they don't include it in the offer though. I don't want to take the risk of firming them, doing badly on STEP and then having to go to Birmingham with no accomodation guarantee :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending