The Student Room Group

I need a wise person.

Hola! I want to do either chemistry or maths at university and I was wondering if doing maths, further maths and chemistry AS levels will be fine. Doing 4 subjects would be too much for me as I have illnesses that make A-levels quite difficult.
I'm wise. I'm here.

I would say that's fine if you def want to do maths or chemistry but where are you thinking of going?
Reply 2
Depends which uni, for most 3 AS and A-levels is fine.
Hey, I'm only in year 11 but all the people who I have talked to in 6th form they tell me 3 subjects are a better idea as u have more time yo focus on them better than 4 subjects... those who do 3 rather than 4 seem to be doing better in those 3 subjects....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Which uni?

that should be fine for most unis apart from Oxbridge/Imperial.
Original post by EtherealNymph22
I'm wise. I'm here.

I would say that's fine if you def want to do maths or chemistry but where are you thinking of going?

Yeah, I definitely want to study either of those subjects. Cambridge, Bath, Warwick, Lancaster and I'm not sure about the rest.

Original post by Arkasia
Depends which uni, for most 3 AS and A-levels is fine.

Do you know which universities have a problem with 3 AS levels?

Original post by Usman19999
Hey, I'm only in year 11 but all the people who I have talked to in 6th form they tell me 3 subjects are a better idea as u have more time yo focus on them better than 4 subjects... those who do 3 rather than 4 seem to be doing better in those 3 subjects....

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, I'm currently doing 3 and I'm doing quite well.
Original post by cubic^3
Which uni?

that should be fine for most unis apart from Oxbridge/Imperial.

Suprisingly Cambridge is fine with it, I've spoken with the person in charge of admissions. They said that it's actually become increasingly common.
Original post by kieran12321LFC
:laugh:

I don't see what's amusing. :colonhash:
Reply 8
Original post by F.Nietzsche
Suprisingly Cambridge is fine with it, I've spoken with the person in charge of admissions. They said that it's actually become increasingly common.

Yeah but virtually every applicant has 4 AS. I would say do M, FM, Chem and physics at AS then drop phys at A2.
Original post by cubic^3
Yeah but virtually every applicant has 4 AS. I would say do M, FM, Chem and physics at AS then drop phys at A2.

Yeah, that's true. But then again I'm not doing 3 subjects out of choice, I couldn't do 4 subjects.
Original post by 雷尼克
hi engima do u remember them mad tinychat timess

Hello *BEEEEEEP* dun dun duuuuuuuun*

And yeah, I do. :biggrin:
How are you?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 雷尼克
yeah good :smile: but pls remove my name :smile:

Done, edit it out of your response. (:
Yeah, I definitely want to study either of those subjects. Cambridge, Bath, Warwick, Lancaster and I'm not sure about the rest.

Warwick is doubtful, as is Bath. Cambridge just don't even bother applying.
Original post by Arkasia
Warwick is doubtful, as is Bath. Cambridge just don't even bother applying.

I think I may be able to shift my subjects around so that I do maths, further maths and chemistry so hopefully I should be fine then. Do you study maths at uni?
I think I may be able to shift my subjects around so that I do maths, further maths and chemistry so hopefully I should be fine then. Do you study maths at uni?

Doing 3 isn't enough for Cambridge, and most people applying to Warwick or even Bath for Maths will have 4.
Reply 15
Original post by Arkasia
Doing 3 isn't enough for Cambridge, and most people applying to Warwick or even Bath for Maths will have 4.

Doing 3 is enough. If you get A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths and Physics say - and do two STEP papers and Get S's you are getting in - guaranteed. They give far less of a crap about a 4th A level than they do the grades in the primary three and STEP success. There is a reason the offer is based on three A levels - they only add a fourth grade requirement when you have told them you are taking four.
I'm not that wise, but I have a couple of friends who did the combination of subjects you're thinking about and they all did great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest