The Student Room Group

C3 Mixed Exercise 7F Q9

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could help me, I am stuck on C3 Mixed Exercise 7F, Question 9 c and d.

C - solve
sin(θ+40°) + sin(θ+50°) = 0 , 0 θ 360°

D - solve
sin² θ/2 = 2sinθ ,0 θ 360°

Any help would be appreciated as Physics and Math Tutors Solution jump around and don't really explain anything, which is annoying...

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by BenRichi_
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could help me, I am stuck on C3 Mixed Exercise 7F, Question 9 c and d.

C - solve

D - solve

Any help would be appreciated as Physics and Math Tutors Solution jump around and don't really explain anything, which is annoying...

Thanks!

have you made any start?
sin(θ) = cos(90-θ)
cos(θ) = sin(90 - θ)
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm
have you made any start?

Well for C I started by using the addition formulae to expand, but was just left with nothing. And nothing for D
sin(x+50) = cos(x+40)
So -tan(x+40) = 0
Reply 5
Original post by NotNotBatman
sin(θ) = cos(90-θ)
cos(θ) = sin(90 - θ)

Where does this come from?
Reply 6
Well for C I started by using the addition formulae to expand, but was just left with nothing. And nothing for D

does post 3 help?
Reply 7
Original post by TeeEm
does post 3 help?

Well I understand how I would use it, but don't understand where that is from, I have never seen this before?
Original post by TeeEm
does post 3 help?

Youre trying too much
Where does this come from?

It's taught in c2. Draw a right angled triangle with an angle marked x, so the other angle will have to be 90-x and you'll see that it works.

or consider the cosine and sine graphs.
Reply 10
Well I understand how I would use it, but don't understand where that is from, I have never seen this before?

standard result taught at C2
Reply 11
Original post by GeologyMaths
Youre trying too much

I don't think that your solution works, or makes sense...

cos(x) = sin(90-x)
cos(x) = sin90cosx - sinxcos90
cos(x) = cos(x) - 0
Hi,

C - solve

D - solve

Thanks!

Have u come across the factor formula? if not it is
sinp+ sinq== 2sin(p+q/2)cos(p-q/2).... with p as 40° and q as 50°. Sub in values
and you should come to 2sin(θ+45)=0 and cos(-5)=0 where cos(-5) is invalid therefore solve 2sin(θ+45)=0......................ok and tell me what you get :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by raman_17
Have u come across the factor formula? if not it is
sinp+ sinq== 2sin(p+q/2)cos(p-q/2).... with p as 40° and q as 50°. Sub in values
and you should come to 2sin(θ+45)=0 and cos(-5)=0 where cos(-5) is invalid therefore solve 2sin(θ+45)=0......................ok and tell me what you get :smile:

Thank you very much raman, I was just looking through the C3 book and found this, its the best solution and gives the correct answer!
Thank you very much raman, I was just looking through the C3 book and found this, its the best solution and gives the correct answer!

no worries :smile:
Hi,

C - solve

D - solve

Thanks!

sin(x)=2sin(x/2)cos(x/2)
I don't think that your solution works, or makes sense...

this person has been trolling the maths forum today.
Original post by the bear
this person has been trolling the maths forum today.

how?

Quick Reply

Latest