The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Brannagan's crosses from open play, corners and free kicks have been better than anything I've seen this season from our first team. Would put him into our first team just for that, but Benteke can't seem to finish even those now as he probably hasn't had this sort of service for the last 7 months. The less said about Benteke the better.

Ibe's been pretty poor today, his final ball is just disgustingly bad, and his off the ball movement is pretty poor as well. Extremely disappointing as I'd much rather he concentrate on these simple things than anything else. He'll probably score a wonder goal now that I said that.

During the half-time replay i thought Stewart was Assaidi for a sec :tongue:
Original post by The.Joker
Tbf he hasn't been given many clear cut chances though.

True but this is a guy that are half chances for breakfast playing for Villa.
His scoring record was about 1 in 2. The quality is there but he's not showing it.

Obviously it's a different club, different system and there's a lot more pressure but even so, his performances have been awful. Very happy Klopp has the balls to bench him because I doubt Rodgers would've.
Big chance for Teixeira there - poor finish. Another few chances for Benteke which he has wasted of course.

West Ham have been poor. Aside from deliveries, Payet has been anonymous. There hasn't been many chances but my God we can't finish today. Should be winning this easy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
True but this is a guy that are half chances for breakfast playing for Villa.
His scoring record was about 1 in 2. The quality is there but he's not showing it.

Obviously it's a different club, different system and there's a lot more pressure but even so, his performances have been awful. Very happy Klopp has the balls to bench him because I doubt Rodgers would've.

Yeah I'm really glad that Klopp is making the right calls and not just playing Benteke because he's the £32 million striker. He really needs to put his mark on the game if he wants to be here in the long term, barely felt his presence today.
Jose Enrique has to be the worst footballer I've ever seen.

What a way to introduce yourself.
When does his contract run out? I still can't believe he's on our books.
Very poor quality game.

The chances were there but nobody stepped up to take them. We had more than enough to bury West Ham.
That's another fixture on our calendar then.
Our kids did better than our first team against West Ham (who were surprisingly poor though), should of really won that game. An extra game is not ideal but Klopp will play more of less the same team anyway and from today he probably should !

If Benteke is not scoring, he has to at least create opportunities for his team mates, but he is neither scoring or creating opportunities, we basically have an incarnation of Balotelli atm (one that can atleast score goals from time to time but anonymous for the rest of the time). Enrique needs to be sold, just simple as that, no idea why Klopp brought him on, even almost conceded a goal because of him.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just back from Anfield - and there's plenty of positives we can take from that game against what was a very strong West Ham side.

Again, though. It's endless frustration. No goals, too little invention, another game to prepare for. Not that I can complain too much, given the youth on display.

A few players did their hopes of becoming useful squad players no harm whatsoever - namely Teixeira, who massively grew into the contest, and Stewart.

Brannagan - not for the first time this season - seemed to fade, but I've said before: we can't just judge these lads on the FA Cup, when they are playing with similar lads from the Academy. Often, being deployed with better players will mean you get a better performance from them. Namely because the best players - the likes of Henderson and Coutinho - tend to get another 10 per cent out of those surrounding them.

I'm angry we have another game to prepare for. Is this the longest season ever? Still, hopefully I will get tickets for the replay and head to Upton Park for the first (and last) time.

The midfield three can definitely take heart from the game - and it was delightful to see Allen with the armband after his recent form. I'm convinced he won't be our player come August, but you know what? I will miss him.

Lovren played diligently and both he and Caulker - playing together for the first time - performed their roles with minimal fuss and should be commended.

Benteke and Ibe did themselves no favours. The former remains unable to get in the danger zone for an incoming cross, while the latter has his head down too much and runs into blind alleys all too often.

Still, I expected us to get beat when we heard the team. Another replay isn't ideal - but throw the kids out, see if West Ham beat us and - if they can - we may get a weekend off before the Capital One Cup final.
Original post by Mackay

The midfield three can definitely take heart from the game - and it was delightful to see Allen with the armband after his recent form. I'm convinced he won't be our player come August, but you know what? I will miss him.

What reasons do you have for this? He is playing well and game-time will eventually find it's way given how players get injured. Add to that you will have a hectic fixture list next season also.
Teixeira got a standing ovation but I didn't think he was that good at all. Weak, made the wrong decisions and couldn't finish his chances.

West Ham today were pretty much the embodiment of a PL team and Teixeira failed the test. He just doesn't have the drive or skillset to make it as a top level player for us.

What does Ojo have to do to get a start btw
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Teixeira got a standing ovation but I didn't think he was that good at all. Weak, made the wrong decisions and couldn't finish his chances.

West Ham today were pretty much the embodiment of a PL team and Teixeira failed the test. He just doesn't have the drive or skillset to make it as a top level player for us.

Actually agree.

He had a lot of good chances and at times showed his vision. That being said, he wasted even more and he doesn't have the clever first touch that you want to see in the kind of playmaker he is.
He's too old to ever make it for us now which is a shame, but these are the games that he has to take a hold of.

I was extremely pissed off that Ojo didn't start because every time I've seen him, he's been bright and effective.

Should've dispatched West Ham because they were very poor.
In any case, we have Leicester in the PL on Tuesday so I'm expecting a good showing.
Original post by DiceTheSlice
What reasons do you have for this? He is playing well and game-time will eventually find it's way given how players get injured. Add to that you will have a hectic fixture list next season also.

Just don't feel he's a Klopp player to be honest, namely due to his diminutive stature.
Original post by Mackay
Just don't feel he's a Klopp player to be honest, namely due to his diminutive stature.

Sahin was the early cornerstone of Klopp's success and he's even more lightweight than Allen.

If Allen leaves it's for the same reason he was always going to leave - he has no end product and is too lightweight to play at DM.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sahin was the early cornerstone of Klopp's success and he's even more lightweight than Allen.

If Allen leaves it's for the same reason he was always going to leave - he has no end product and is too lightweight to play at DM.

Guys improved under Klopp though. Unsure if it's to the level required but think he's been very tidy for you lot and has room to improve. Think he needs confidence more than anything. You'd think he'd fit as a pass and move player since he's mobile and that would work with the players you have. Also obviously he's a good option if you want to retain possession.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Guys improved under Klopp though. Unsure if it's to the level required but think he's been very tidy for you lot and has room to improve. Think he needs confidence more than anything. You'd think he'd fit as a pass and move player since he's mobile and that would work with the players you have. Also obviously he's a good option if you want to retain possession.

He just does not contribute enough in attack. It is unacceptable to be the playmaker in a midfield duo, or one of the 2 in part of a 1-2 in midfield, and offer neither goals nor chances created. He has never had enough output and never will. By enough, I mean any.

Yeah he's a good player to retain possession but that's not enough. A side with ****-hot strikers can carry him but we don't and rarely will have that. He's a squad option at best and tbh I'd rather we gave his minutes to Brannagan, Grujic and whoever else we bring in, in the summer.

Getting rid of Allen is pretty low down the priority list though and only becomes a concern if he truly does impede the progress of our youth.
(edited 8 years ago)
Dunno if it was mentioned but I liked Stewart today. Very Coquelin-esque. Somewhat limited with his passing ability but great composure, decision making, physical ability and to an extent, reading of the game, but he didn't have the chance to show that much.

I don't see him making it here but he could definitely have a PL career. Loan him out next season and then get a tidy 5-10m fee a few years down the line please.

Clyne also stood up very well to the Payet test, but every passing game his limitations in attack become more evident.
TFW players are being compared to Coquelin

I felt he did a lot of things well, but I agree. He did my head in at times - especially with that moment in the second half, where he had an opportunity to unleash Ojo down the right hand side but held onto it in the hope of doing something more clever, but ended up losing it.
Looks like we're playing every 3/4 days in February now too..

Latest