The Student Room Group

Black Britons of African origin beat whites in GCSE exams

In 2014, 68% of Africans got five good grades in their GCSEs, the exams taken at 16, compared with 65% of whites and 59% of Caribbeans.

They are far more likely to continue their education—indeed, the poorest Africans are as likely to go to university as the wealthiest Caribbeans. Although there is little difference in performance at primary school, Caribbean children “lack the support that’s needed to deal with the choppy waters of secondary school,” says Tony Sewell, the founder of Generating Genius, a charity. Africans, as newer arrivals, “have the mindset that there’s always something worse [than schoolwork] out there,” he adds.

Source: The Economist

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hmmm. African right here:u:
(edited 8 years ago)
Nigerians are really clever in my experience.
Reply 3
liberals right now

Original post by cubic^3
liberals right now

LOL
Reply 5
Big up the mandem back home in Africa init
Original post by 0lut0
Big up the mandem back home in Africa init

Yes blud!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Dick Diamonds
Nigerians are really clever in my experience.

Seconded.

The guy who topped Cambridge law tripos last year was Nigerian iirc (turns out i do remember correctly: source)

the other nigerians i know are extremely hard working and manage to balance church/sporting commitments with their academic work

quite impressive.
It's understandable becasue when an African child is sent abroad to study they normally have a lot of incentive to do well and not 'bring shame' to the family.
Also they know how much it cost and how much their parents had to struggle to send them to school abroad. (Visa costs, plane tickets, living costs etc)
And it's also part of the culture. Education is a very important part in an African home. My fellow Africans know what will be waiting for them if they come home from school with bad results :lol:
It's just a bit of a shame that a lot of these successful people don't come back to their home countries to help develop the place.
It's like with the East Asians.
Anyway, this doesn't mean that one ethnic group/race is inherently smarter than the other. It's just a matter of the circumstances these students find themselves in.
(edited 8 years ago)
I can quickly see this turning into a black supremacy/all whites are evil thread if we're not careful
Reply 10
Original post by StrawbAri

And it's also part of the culture. Education is a very important part in an African home. My fellow Africans know what will be waiting for them if they come home from school with bad results :lol:

I agree that culture/family is basically the single most important deciding factor in how well a student does academically.

Original post by kieran12321LFC
I can quickly see this turning into a black supremacy/all whites are evil thread if we're not careful

What I think is relevant is how White Britons are being failed (either by the State or their families), and what can be done to remedy this.

Noting the achievements of other ethnic groups is also positive.
Is it to do with them being more intrinsically clever? Or is an expectation thing, where they try harder to uphold family honour? Or is it them being favoured with extra support in school?
Original post by baleh
What I think is relevant is how White Britons are being failed (either by the State or their families), and what can be done to remedy this.

It's only a 3% difference, we can't really say white Britons are failing at a mass scale.
If this was the other way round, people would say governmental policy is racist and pro-White
Original post by MildredMalone
Is it to do with them being more intrinsically clever? Or is an expectation thing, where they try harder to uphold family honour? Or is it them being favoured with extra support in school?

It's an expectation thing :yep:
Original post by StrawbAri
It's an expectation thing :yep:

For the record, I wasn't trying to detract from their achievements, I just wondered why :smile:
Reply 16
FWIW, Asians (especially Singaporeans) are the most intelligent people I know.
Original post by Yaa dunno
mainly being really clever at being scam artists.

I knew someone immature would make this joke.
that's bc african parents will deport us if we fail XD
Black African immigrants (especially those from West Africa) have tended to mostly be highly educated with degree level qualifications etc. Makes sense their kids will do well.
http://www.ethnicity.ac.uk/medialibrary/briefingsupdated/how-are-ethnic-inequalities-in-education-changing.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending