The Student Room Group

Carboxylic acid - ligand exchange reaction question

image.jpg
Attachment not found
Hi guys, This is a question that my organic teacher set my class.
Carboxylic acid A does not undergo a redox reaction with K2Cr2O7, but it undergoes a ligand exchange reaction to give a brown complex. Suggest a possible structure for the complex.
Is anyone able to give me the answer and explain why? We haven't covered ligand exchange reactions yet.
Thanks in advance, Jasmine
Original post by jasminetwine
image.jpg
Attachment not found
Hi guys, This is a question that my organic teacher set my class.
Carboxylic acid A does not undergo a redox reaction with K2Cr2O7, but it undergoes a ligand exchange reaction to give a brown complex. Suggest a possible structure for the complex.
Is anyone able to give me the answer and explain why? We haven't covered ligand exchange reactions yet.
Thanks in advance, Jasmine

All you can do is use the information in the question.

Chromium is a transition metal that can form complex ions. The dichromate is essentially a complex ion in which oxygen is the ligand species.

Using the model of EDTA I would suggest that the tricarboxylic acid can form a similar chelate complex around the chromium.
Original post by charco
All you can do is use the information in the question.

Chromium is a transition metal that can form complex ions. The dichromate is essentially a complex ion in which oxygen is the ligand species.

Using the model of EDTA I would suggest that the tricarboxylic acid can form a similar chelate complex around the chromium.

I think I understand, but would you be kind enough to draw it out for me Charco?

Many thanks,

Jasmine

Quick Reply

Latest