The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Will LSE accept A*AB instead of AAA for IR?

I got an offer for international relations (AAA) at LSE which is an achievement in itself but now I'm kind of worrying I'll miss the A in English lit as I was a few marks off the A at AS and it's not my strongest subject. I think an A* in French is foreseeable for me, so I was wondering if I got A*AB they'd accept me on results day and not just straight up reject me. :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Valesker
I got an offer for international relations (AAA) at LSE which is an achievement in itself but now I'm kind of worrying I'll miss the A in English lit as I was a few marks off the A at AS and it's not my strongest subject. I think an A* in French is foreseeable for me, so I was wondering if I got A*AB they'd accept me on results day and not just straight up reject me. :confused:

That would be a rejection. Page 10 of the LSE offer holders guide addresses that question.

"A level example: You are asked to obtain AAA at A level and you achieve A*AB.Unfortunately, achieving a higher grade in one subject will not compensate for a lower grade in a different subject. This means that you willhave marginally failed to meet the conditions of your offer"
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Yeah, you'll have missed the offer, and it seems they don't accept the equivalent as per standard (as posted above).

It's worth contacting the uni with your query and they'll be able to give you a good answer :h:
Reply 3
Original post by Harry7777
That would be a rejection. Page 10 of the LSE offer holders guide addresses that question.

"A level example: You are asked to obtain AAA at A level and you achieve A*AB.Unfortunately, achieving a higher grade in one subject will not compensate for a lower grade in a different subject. This means that you willhave marginally failed to meet the conditions of your offer"

Original post by Alexion
Yeah, you'll have missed the offer, and it seems they don't accept the equivalent as per standard (as posted above).

It's worth contacting the uni with your query and they'll be able to give you a good answer :h:

Thanks for the info, guys :smile: I suppose it'll just have to be a lot of hard work on my part this year then!
Reply 4
Thanks for the info, guys :smile: I suppose it'll just have to be a lot of hard work on my part this year then!

Yup... best thing is to just get that A in English, then you ain't got no worries :h:
Wow, an A* in French 😭
I'm in a similar position as I'm expecting a B in French but A*s in Geography and Politics, but the person responsible for Uni admissions in my school says that would rule out a Uni with an AAA offer. I guess it's just hard work for us then 😂
given it's LSE it's highly unlikely.
Could you get A*A*B? I'd be shocked if they rejected that
Reply 8
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
Could you get A*A*B? I'd be shocked if they rejected that

It's a possibility, I'm predicted A*A*A after all. I'm just quite worried about English lit as I've heard it's difficult to improve a grade in subjects like English as opposed to maths and science.

Original post by Alexion
Yup... best thing is to just get that A in English, then you ain't got no worries :h:

I was around 7/8 UMS off the A in the exam last year, but I was quite a few UMS into the A in the coursework. Do you think if I excel in the coursework this year it'll balance it out on top of a high B/low A in the exam?
Reply 9
I was around 7/8 UMS off the A in the exam last year, but I was quite a few UMS into the A in the coursework. Do you think if I excel in the coursework this year it'll balance it out on top of a high B/low A in the exam?

You must already be right on the boundary... count up your UMS and see exactly how much leniency you have, that'll give you your answer (I don't know about the weightings in English)
Reply 10
Original post by Alexion
You must already be right on the boundary... count up your UMS and see exactly how much leniency you have, that'll give you your answer (I don't know about the weightings in English)

I knew I should have had it remarked :curious:

I go to LSE, my good friend applied for Politics and Philosophy with an offer of AAA. When she got her results she received A*A*B. She still received the confirmed place, so it is 100% possible - but unlikely.

She did receive 100% in her history A level and another A*. She also had A* in EPQ. So you will need to work your arse off! But try and get that grade up or else it is unlikely.
I knew I should have had it remarked :curious:

If you marginally fail to meet the conditions of your offer, your application will automatically be referred back to the Admissions Selector for reconsideration.Last year I saw a student on TSR who gained entry after reconsideration in August in a less competitive courses. The more competitive courses like Law and economics students were rejected if they missed by one mark. It really depends if they get the required number students. LSE works on a 50% acceptance rate if there is 30 places they will make 60 offers. Good Luck
depends on how many people applied to the course this year, if they haven't had as many as usual, they'll definitely be more flexible with your circumstances
Original post by Jamie S
I go to LSE, my good friend applied for Politics and Philosophy with an offer of AAA. When she got her results she received A*A*B. She still received the confirmed place, so it is 100% possible - but unlikely.

She did receive 100% in her history A level and another A*. She also had A* in EPQ. So you will need to work your arse off! But try and get that grade up or else it is unlikely.

I know someone who similarly achieved A*A*B (B in Maths) instead of AAB with A in Maths. He was so dejected when he saw his results as that meant a rejection but when he checked UCAS half an hour later, LSE had accepted him for BSc Management.

Nobody knows for sure. Best to give it your all. May be better to put in more effort to secure the A than going for the A*s as AAA will get you in for sure while A*A*B is no guarantee.
What ever happens with this, did OG poster get the grades?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending