The Student Room Group

Has anyone used a fountain pen in an exam before?

Hey guys. Over the summer I found myself getting into the fountain pen hobby. Sounds sad, I'm sure, but I was just wondering what people did when it came to exams, when using fountain pens?

I have a pen that I want to use for exams: it's from my father. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any issue with bleedthrough on exam papers, as I wouldn't expect the paper quality to be amazing as a LOT of these papers are going to be printed, and obviously exam boards want to save on printing costs and would go for the cheaper (ergo not as fountain pen friendly) paper.

Does anyone have any experience with this at all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have never used a fountain pen for an exam, i would go for a simple bic pen just incase the examiners might not be able to read it.
On the contrary I've always thought that the paper quality of exams is pretty good? :dontknow: I haven't used them personally (too smudgy :tongue: ), but I know a couple of friends that used them and had no problems. Why not take both your fountain pen and a ballpoint in with you, so that you can start writing with your fountain pen and check it isn't bleeding after a few words.
Reply 3
I pretty much only ever use fountain pens or rollerballs for writing.

So much more comfortable. You just glide across the paper. :wink:

I have used a decent Lamy fountain pen in exams in the past. No problems.

High quality ink would be a good idea.
I used them for all my A-level papers as I found it easier to write with in terms of speed and not having to press so hard etc. Never had a problem with bleed through. But I would take 2x extra cartridges as writing like 8 pages or whatever in one setting can make them run out. And a spare biro in case you get fed up of it.
Reply 5
Original post by chikane
I have never used a fountain pen for an exam, i would go for a simple bic pen just incase the examiners might not be able to read it.

Really?

Don't you find that uncomfortable?
I have but I would advise that you don't. They're too messy.
Reply 7
Original post by stefano865
Really?

Don't you find that uncomfortable?

I am not fussy with pens i write with anything.
Reply 8
I use one, suppose it depends how much you trust it not to spatter everywhere! I only had the odd stain on the side.....
Just ensure you take about a gazillion cartridges, and another 5 gazillion assorted pen types. That's what I do, JiC.
Can't be dealing with these one pen risk takers! :O
Reply 9
No need to risk a broken nib and ink leakage :biggrin:
crayons ftw blud

Original post by chikane
I am not fussy with pens i write with anything.

No worries.
Original post by TheDaniel
getting into the fountain pen hobby.

I have never felt so old. The were compulsory at my school until we were about 14.

In exams they are fine. I know quite a few people who use them and they cause no problems.
I frequently have used a Waterman Carene in my exams for GCSE and AS level, and have not had bad results so they do work apparently :P
Make sure you take spare cartridges though xD and probably a spare ballpoint too.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
On the contrary I've always thought that the paper quality of exams is pretty good? :dontknow: I haven't used them personally (too smudgy :tongue: ), but I know a couple of friends that used them and had no problems. Why not take both your fountain pen and a ballpoint in with you, so that you can start writing with your fountain pen and check it isn't bleeding after a few words.

I've only ever used the Pilot V7 pen for exams. I had no problems with that, or at least that I can remember. Exam boards using poor paper was just an assumption, however. (:
DON'T!
Someone in my highschool used a fountain pen and it literally leaked during the exam and he got ink all over his desk, sparing his exam paper. The worst thing was that, this cost him about 10mins ( cleaning it up and change of seat ) and they didn't give him extra time at the end .
As someone suggested up top , a ball point pen would be best option, reliable, cheap and simple.
Hey guys. Over the summer I found myself getting into the fountain pen hobby. Sounds sad, I'm sure, but I was just wondering what people did when it came to exams, when using fountain pens?

I have a pen that I want to use for exams: it's from my father. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had any issue with bleedthrough on exam papers, as I wouldn't expect the paper quality to be amazing as a LOT of these papers are going to be printed, and obviously exam boards want to save on printing costs and would go for the cheaper (ergo not as fountain pen friendly) paper.

Why not simply forgo any pen whatsoever and use your penis instead? :teehee: :rofl:
I regret having never tried a fountain pen before uni, once I started using one I found witting to be so much easier and my handwriting improved dramatically. at uni I use a PC for exams, so I'm not sure how they'd be for them, though Ive never had any issues with bleeding whilst doing any writing even on cheap wilko paper so I'm sure it would be fine. As mentioned before just take extra carriages and a spare non-fountain pen. and maybe a few tissues in case there any leaks do occur.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used a fountain pen for all my exams in GCSE and had no problem. I found that it is easier to write quicker with one
Reply 19

It's not sad! I too have a love for fountain pens- the writing experience they provide is far superior to most modern writing impliments.

I was going to use one of my FPs for this past A-Level exam season, however when I got into my exams I found myself suddenly switching to Bic byros. The reason for this is because I did maths and science exams which require fairly fast writing and lengthy working out. FPs require you to slow down and the ink can get smudgy if the pen writes very wet, and in an A-Level exam you don't wanna be smudging your working when every mark counts!

Quick Reply

Latest