The Student Room Group

New Years Transformation Competition discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Angry cucumber

Nah, that sounds kind of insulting to the other things that matter to me
[QUOTE=BKS;62373215]I was around 57kg before I started lifting, I thought I looked average but I saw an old picture a while ago and was genuinely surprised by how twig shaped I was

I'm not sure what I'd consider lifting if I didn't consider it hobby, it's something I choose to do for enjoyment so I think it has to be classed as a hobby even if it has healthy and vanity benefits too

You'd look a lot better at 57kg now though...
I was so tiny at 60kg (5'10). Even had a touch of fat (like skinny af but still) so truly horrendous.
We're all going to make it fam... The day i'm consistently a 'medium' t-shirt will be a good day... If i ever make large (50/50) i'll be properly proud haha.

[QUOTE=Angry cucumber;62373245]A way of life :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Joking aside... I think that's true tbh. If i saw it as a hobby i'd pick it up and leave it. I need to view it as a eay of life - good for mental health, image of one's self, improving self-worth, a coping mechanism for other things, strengthening your resolve etc etc...
[QUOTE=BKS;62373753]Nah, that sounds kind of insulting to the other things that matter to me

Such as?
Like over summer i'll be riding the horses 4/5 times a week, competing them every weekend but it's still just a hobby. Golf, once or twice a week.
I'll always play football with the boys, once/twice a week but again... Just a hobby
Original post by BKS
Nah, that sounds kind of insulting to the other things that matter to me

But but but gainzzzz

Seriously though, for me it's a hobby
Reply 124
Original post by Unistudent77
Such as?
Like over summer i'll be riding the horses 4/5 times a week, competing them every weekend but it's still just a hobby. Golf, once or twice a week.
I'll always play football with the boys, once/twice a week but again... Just a hobby

My work, the project I volunteer on, my politics, spending time with the people I care about. I think that's all that would be on the list of things that matter enough to be my way of life

My feelings about lifting has changed a bit recently since I've accepted I might never make that much progress, maybe I'd have said something different a year ago. I still can't imagine not doing it, I still love it, I still feel mentally much better when I do it but it is a hobby.

I feel similar about TKD, I love it, it's given me a lot, it's been part of my life on and off for 17/18 years but still a hobby. They are hobbies I care more about than like reading, cooking and music but still hobby
Reply 125
You'd look a lot better at 57kg now though...
I was so tiny at 60kg (5'10). Even had a touch of fat (like skinny af but still) so truly horrendous.
We're all going to make it fam... The day i'm consistently a 'medium' t-shirt will be a good day... If i ever make large (50/50) i'll be properly proud haha.

I would but it'd be well into the 'abs on a skinny guy don't count' territory

Not sure I can even imagine 60kg at 5ft10 :lol:

I wear XS tshirt now cause I look better in it, really borderline S/M
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE=BKS;62374175]My work, the project I volunteer on, my politics, spending time with the people I care about. I think that's all that would be on the list of things that matter enough to be my way of life

My feelings about lifting has changed a bit recently since I've accepted I might never make that much progress, maybe I'd have said something different a year ago. I still can't imagine not doing it, I still love it, I still feel mentally much better when I do it but it is a hobby.

I feel similar about TKD, I love it, it's given me a lot, it's been part of my life on and off for 17/18 years but still a hobby. They are hobbies I care more about than like reading, cooking and music but still hobby

Fair enough, i get what you mean but to me it does mean a fair bit. Maybe 'way of life' is slightly too strong but i'd say that's closer to the truth than 'hobby' (for me). I like goals, vision, progression etc and gym gives me all that. Obviously family and friends are bigger but they are all part of the overall package imo.
Re Politics, are you affiliated to a party or what? I'm quite interested in Politics too, it is half my degree so just wondering...

Is that due to injury etc? Surely you can avoid certain exercises if you aren't a powerlifter or do you want to compete etc?

Yeah, fair enough. I'd put music lower down the list that my 'hobbies' and the gym but it is all intrinsically linked for me. All quite important.

[QUOTE=BKS;62374343]I would but it'd be well into the 'abs on a skinny guy don't count' territory

Not sure I can even imagine 60kg at 5ft10 :lol:

I wear XS tshirt now cause I look better in it, really borderline S/M

Haha, fair enough :biggrin:
Well i remember weighing that and i wasn't even in abs territory. I would have had to go to 55kg or so, i slowly but surely realised i'd need to bulk and train to get what i wanted and eventually decided to actually do it in early 2015.

Yeah, that's what i do. I like how smalls feel even though i'd fit most mediums. I prefer tops to be tightish though. Some smalls are bigger than a few mediums i have. Makes zero sense.

I was playing football and my two usual football tops were in the wash so i saw and old top i had. It was an extra small. I could barely get it off haha, it was ridiculously tight. Not a good look.
Reply 127

Re Politics, are you affiliated to a party or what? I'm quite interested in Politics too, it is half my degree so just wondering...

I'm not party political really- I assume you are then? If I were to be Greens are closest to me

My degree is in politics too

Is that due to injury etc? Surely you can avoid certain exercises if you aren't a powerlifter or do you want to compete etc?

Yeah, injuries. Competing is what I wanted, giving up on that was shitty but over it now. I'm not sure I've made much progress on anything in about two years, I've not entirely given up yet but I have shifted much more to enjoyment than progress, otherwise I would have quit

Yeah, that's what i do. I like how smalls feel even though i'd fit most mediums. I prefer tops to be tightish though. Some smalls are bigger than a few mediums i have. Makes zero sense.

I was playing football and my two usual football tops were in the wash so i saw and old top i had. It was an extra small. I could barely get it off haha, it was ridiculously tight. Not a good look.

Painted on is a bad look but most M and a lot of S make me look shapeless, they just hang there all square, if you can look like you lift then you might as well
[QUOTE=BKS;62375605]I'm not party political really- I assume you are then? If I were to be Greens are closest to me

My degree is in politics too

Yeah, injuries. Competing is what I wanted, giving up on that was shitty but over it now. I'm not sure I've made much progress on anything in about two years, I've not entirely given up yet but I have shifted much more to enjoyment than progress, otherwise I would have quit

Painted on is a bad look but most M and a lot of S make me look shapeless, they just hang there all square, if you can look like you lift then you might as well

(No idea how to quote like you just did... Anyway)

Well not really. I'm at an edge of a party. I would find agreement with people at other sides of the spectrum on certain issues... But yes, i do have a 'party' per se.

Let's just say there would not be lots lf agreement between yourself and I if you are closest to the greens :tongue: each to their own!

Decent, what year are you in?

Why don't you train more BB style then? If some of the 'main' lifts give you injuries.... Personally, i have never wanted to compete. However, after the enjoyment of lifting and all that it brings, surely the next best thing that the gym brings is asthetical improvement. So go for size gains...

Agree. I know i'll get comments if i wear certain tops. I'm tiny but some tops just make you look your 'biggest'. May as well maximise what you have imo. I'm getting close to fitting medium now though so will have to buy mediums and deal with them being less tight and grow into them.
Reply 129
(No idea how to quote like you just did... Anyway)
you break it up into individual quote tags

Let's just say there would not be lots lf agreement between yourself and I if you are closest to the greens each to their own!

:lol: I'm further left than the Greens- and political queer and vegan

Decent, what year are you in?

I graduated in 2012 :tongue: I would leave TSR but the only other not **** lifting site is sugden and I'm too weak and small for it

Why don't you train more BB style then? If some of the 'main' lifts give you injuries.... Personally, i have never wanted to compete. However, after the enjoyment of lifting and all that it brings, surely the next best thing that the gym brings is asthetical improvement. So go for size gains...

I don't enjoy higher rep training, I'd go 8x3 over 3x8 any day and I don't want to be bigger so somewhat pointless
[QUOTE=BKS;62379651]you break it up into individual quote tags

Well this is me trying that so here goes...

:lol: I'm further left than the Greens- and political queer and vegan

Right..... Well i'm a level headed person so i'm sure discussion would not end up in argument :tongue:
How long have you been vegan? Main reason for doing so was?

I graduated in 2012 :tongue: I would leave TSR but the only other not **** lifting site is sugden and I'm too weak and small for it

Fair enough, i don't think you have to leave tbh just because you've graduated.

I don't enjoy higher rep training, I'd go 8x3 over 3x8 any day and I don't want to be bigger so somewhat pointless

Fair enough, personal preference i suppose.
Why don't you want to be bigger?!?
A perplexed man.
Weighed in at 67.6kg this morning so 1.2kg down on yesterday.
I think both readings are wrong. There is now way i'm 0.3kg down on last week but there's no way i'm 0.9kg up either.

This illness might be leading to loss of water weight? Although i'm eating fine so idk.

Don't care what the scales say really, but it would be nice to know that i'm not bulking by too much.... Or too little. Truth is probably somewhere between the two readings which would be fine.
I'm a kilo lighter than yesterday. The amount of water I hold after something Salty is insane (in this case a take away curry)

86.3kg crew

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Angry cucumber;62388297]I'm a kilo lighter than yesterday. The amount of water I hold after something Salty is insane (in this case a take away curry)

86.3kg crew

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the long-term plan re weight? Going to go higher and then cut or what?
What is the long-term plan re weight? Going to go higher and then cut or what?

Get to under 86. Hold for a fortnight, head for 83ish. Maintain and see how it goes

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Angry cucumber;62389219]Get to under 86. Hold for a fortnight, head for 83ish. Maintain and see how it goes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair.
I didn't make it clear but i said 'long-term' so like when your 25 (3 years?) what do you envisage (injuries aside)?
Competing in the 83kg class? (Bench, Deadlift. I realise you don't squat)
Fair.
I didn't make it clear but i said 'long-term' so like when your 25 (3 years?) what do you envisage (injuries aside)?
Competing in the 83kg class? (Bench, Deadlift. I realise you don't squat)

No idea. Stay sub 90 probably and recomp; see where I get a job and then buy a home gym and see from there tbh. I may do a push pull meet, but that Wong be for a while. My legs are poverty weak tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Angry cucumber;62389637]No idea. Stay sub 90 probably and recomp; see where I get a job and then buy a home gym and see from there tbh. I may do a push pull meet, but that Wong be for a while. My legs are poverty weak tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds decent :smile:
I will be investing in a proper home gym once i get decent coin in. Although i have no clue where i'll be living so might have to hang fire.
You've had a few set backs so no wonder.... Still lifting and making gains so you should be pleased enough with that atm :smile:
Reply 138
Right..... Well i'm a level headed person so i'm sure discussion would not end up in argument :tongue:
How long have you been vegan? Main reason for doing so was?

About 3.5 years properly vegan

To me veganism is relative, doing your best not to do harm to animals- saying absolutely eating meat is always wrong makes no sense to me.

We can debate how much harm is caused by X animal product and about how that relates that animals mental ability to understand what's going on. But I don't think we can argue that going to tesco and buying a yoghurt isn't causing/creating demand for some form of harm.

I think causing that harm is inherently wrong regardless of extent etc. because we can easily not cause it- we can live entirely healthily and happily without any animal products. I get that becoming vegan can be challenging but it's basically just about learning enough to make it easy. If I can easily not cause harm then I can't justify causing it just because I like milk chocolate.

Fair enough, personal preference i suppose.
Why don't you want to be bigger?!?
Why do you want to get bigger? I just don't have whatever that is.

I used to want to get bigger but I realised I was in the land of skewed perceptions that grows around gyms. I'm a decent size, I have a better body than most guys my age and I'm generally happy with how I look- though getting there has taken some mental work. I'm sure plenty guys in gyms would look at my lack of abs and uninspiring biceps and laugh at that but there sense of normal is ****ed.

I try to focus more now on what my body can do, I think it's healthier. I want to do stuff that more muscle won't really help with.
[QUOTE=BKS;62392083]About 3.5 years properly vegan

Fair enough bro, a decent length of time tbh.

To me veganism is relative, doing your best not to do harm to animals- saying absolutely eating meat is always wrong makes no sense to me.

We can debate how much harm is caused by X animal product and about how that relates that animals mental ability to understand what's going on. But I don't think we can argue that going to tesco and buying a yoghurt isn't causing/creating demand for some form of harm.

I think causing that harm is inherently wrong regardless of extent etc. because we can easily not cause it- we can live entirely healthily and happily without any animal products. I get that becoming vegan can be challenging but it's basically just about learning enough to make it easy. If I can easily not cause harm then I can't justify causing it just because I like milk chocolate.

Well... I mean i've been brought up in farming circles etc, we just aren't going to agree. At the end of the day i have an 'anthropological' view of the world (i did an essay on 'deep green' politics but i forget if anthropological is the right term but i think so. The 'anthropocentric' viewpoint. Ie humans are above other animals so apologies if my terms are incorrect)

I don't believe all wildlife are equal to us. Most importantly however, i believe my aim in life is to make myself and others happy. I like milk, so i'm drinking it. I have more sympathy re slaughter... But again, as long as efforts are made (a constant battle but i think in recent decades things have improved) to make this experience as quick as possible then so be it.

Ultimately, animals do suffer pain. Regardless of our imput. I mean, is riding a horse immoral because the horse won't particularly enjoy it? Most do, certainly jumping but hypothetically....
Where is the line? Better not dock my Springer's tail as a puppy, as it's 'inhumane'. I'll just watch it yelp and bleed when jumping through hedgerows and bushes whenthe tail grows when the dog develops....
You said 'Regardless of extent', that's proposterous!
Fair enough re slaughter, i'd 'get' that but 'harm' is just inevitable. With or without us. As i said, when i was 4/5 i bottle fed some lambs then foot and mouth came and they were burnt in the field right beside my house. I never intended on eating them or whatever but external factors occured and harm also happened which we could do nothing to prevent.

Anyway, i'm really not wanting to start an argument (i'm happy to debate but i feel it'll just cause tension which is not my intention), each to their own :smile:

Why do you want to get bigger? I just don't have whatever that is.

I used to want to get bigger but I realised I was in the land of skewed perceptions that grows around gyms. I'm a decent size, I have a better body than most guys my age and I'm generally happy with how I look- though getting there has taken some mental work. I'm sure plenty guys in gyms would look at my lack of abs and uninspiring biceps and laugh at that but there sense of normal is ****ed.

I try to focus more now on what my body can do, I think it's healthier. I want to do stuff that more muscle won't really help with.

Why not? Haha. I mean, i want to hit what i'm genetically capable of...
I think 'whatever it is' is human imperfection. Both a good and bad thing. Never satisfied but can be content/happy. Always wanting improvement.

I want to look as good as i possibly can. I want progress. I want to be proud of what i've have achieved and not settle for something below what i could have attained.

Stronger, fitter, faster, bigger, leaner are always goals. I'm not fast haha so that's gone. The rest i can achieve over time (not simultaneously obv).

Yes, perceptions are skewed. Skewed away from the fact that 60% of UK males over 20 are overweight.
'Normal', 'society' is all BS and underwhelming.
Facebook is full of fads or people being narcisstic af cos they did one workout. As well as this, our society (unfortunately) is very, very image focussed. We are self-obsessed (as a society, you may not be but 'we', as a collective, are).

Thus, being big and ripped would boost one's image. Respect etc. As well as (in my view is the best way) having that without telling the world. I know that if i went to the beach over summer people would (in the future) would be like 'wtf'. I wouldn't boost about it, i wouldn't need to.

Most importantly, it is about progression. For me, it is good for my mental health. I could gain muscle at 3lbs a year i reckon i'd be happy (when the gains slow anyway) as it isn't about vanity, it's just about progression and feeling positive about one's self. If i stalled (when i'm not near my max) then i wouldn't be happy.

It's a difficult one to explain because the perception is 'you want to be big due to vanity'. However, for me (although a factor, i accept that) it is not the main reason. It's about feeling proud and giving myself a platform to be happy. It's something i can see progress in when other aspects of my life are not going well etc.

There was another point but i forget. I've talked enough anyway but yeah...

I'm content where i am just now. I don't suffer from body dysmorphia/i don't hate myself but i'm a long wat from where i want to be.
I lift for myself, not for others. A future partner of mine would not need to lift for example, as long as she didn't stop me hitting the gym then i'm down.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest