The Student Room Group

Muslims aren't the problem, Islam is

This is what the Leader of the EDL party, 'Tommy' Robinson, said whilst on The Big Questions back in 2012. Although I do not follow or support his group, I do have to agree to this point.

I watched the 39 minute long video and he was constantly cut when trying to make his points.

Anyway, I do agree that the religion is at fault, not the people who follow it.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

You'd have to blame those with extremist beliefs as opposed to the religion itself.
(edited 8 years ago)
but you dont know the religion, its the media tht portrays all tht. Yes, there are terrorists etc bt you cant assume all muslims are like that and you cant blame it on the religion itself. ITS NOT JUST MUSLIMS WHO ARE TERRORISTS AND EXTREMISTS

is2g all this bs does my head in
Islam bashing in full force these last couple of days.
Reply 4
Original post by Sgt_Haytham
This is what the Leader of the EDL party, 'Tommy' Robinson, said whilst on The Big Questions back in 2012. Although I do not follow or support his group, I do have to agree to this point.

I watched the 39 minute long video and he was constantly cut when trying to make his points.

Anyway, I do agree that the religion is at fault, not the people who follow it.

What do you think?

But the people who follow it enforce it and spread it all the while knowing it is intolerable and violent. Why are they innocent. Were the Nazis innocent but Nazism the actual problem? Think again
Original post by AliRizzo
Islam bashing in full force these last couple of days.

What exactly is wrong with Islam bashing?
Original post by mariam687
you cant blame it on the religion itself.

Why not, if I've studied it to some extent and know that most Islamic terrorism has a firm theological justification, subject to interpretation?
Original post by StrawbAri

Where did I say there was anything wrong with it? Speaks volumes about what kind of person you are that you're getting defensive about your freedom to mock others.
Reply 8
That is rich considering the level and scale of intolerance from the Islamic world and constant reminder they are the superior religion and sect of humanity. HYPOCRICY at its best
Where did I say there was anything wrong with it? Speaks volumes about what kind of person you are that you're getting defensive about your freedom to mock others.

Islam isn't a person.

How does that 'speak volumes' about the kind of person I am?
1. Mocking Islam is not equal to mocking 'others'
2. Your post clearly implied that you don't like 'Islam bashing' else you wouldn't have made that comment in the first place.
Original post by Hydeman
Islam isn't a person.

If you're mocking an ideology practiced or believed by people then you mock the people.
islam and a lot of religions are such a social burden on sanity and progress - we have to stand for it only because there's a culture of religion deserving respect even though logically it shouldn't deserve it. if religions were springing up today for the first time in history (e.g. scientology) then it would be universally ridiculed. but there are a lot of scientologists today *because* of this culture - the same culture that excuses islam for being evil and batshit. I mean, what kind of goggles would you need to be wearing to view islam as "good"? it would be like viewing nazism in germany (before WWII) as "good" - it would have to take some kind of extreme subjectivism to defend it.
How does that 'speak volumes' about the kind of person I am?
1. Mocking Islam is not equal to mocking 'others'
2. Your post clearly implied that you don't like 'Islam bashing' else you wouldn't have made that comment in the first place.

Erm, no. It didn't. I was making a general observation. Go take your hate elsewhere.
Original post by United999
People like you actually believe Islam is the religion of peace. That is how sad it is. It promotes intolerance, has verses promoting violence, the prophet Muhummed lead a large war campaign, it is an endless list of misery.

As do other major religions, and some secular thought too.
If you're mocking an ideology practiced or believed by people then you mock the people.

Not inherently; people just don't like having deeply-held convictions mocked. That's no fault of the person critiquing the convictions.

Breeding hate
Original post by Ethereal
As do other major religions, and some secular thought too.

That is not the topic. People like you will happily talk of the evil that is Christianity or Judaism and I could not care less. But you let Islam pass without criticism. You defend it. You protect it. You call it the religion of peace. You will not recognise its faults. That is the difference.
Original post by luminarychild
Breeding hate

But Islam promotes hate and breeds hate so what do you say to that?
Original post by Hydeman
Not inherently; people just don't like having deeply-held convictions mocked. That's no fault of the person critiquing the convictions.

Or maybe people don't like being called out as being massive c*nts who have nothing better to do but breed hate? Like a child trying to plead to his teacher that he isn't the one at fault even though deep down everyone knows he is.

Quick Reply