The Student Room Group

How am I supposed to revise for the poetry examination? (AQA English Literature)

What is the best way to revise all the poems?
Buy the CGP guide- it compares all the poems and themes etc in detail. What cluster are you doing?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
When I did my GCSEs I just read the poem and analysed it in full, we did it in class too but I just made like a page of notes on each poem. Then after doing that think about comparable things between the two eg the themes explored (I did relationships so I would compare how they are expressed in different ways) so that you know which poems to compare in the exam.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
What is the best way to revise all the poems?

Try and see if there's any simplified version of the poems you're studying in the clusters online, then that'll give you a great overview of the poem which you can easily revise. Then you can dig deep and analyse in utter detail.

I'll PM you more info; what cluster are you studying? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hxfsxh
Buy the CGP guide- it compares all the poems and themes etc in detail. What cluster are you doing?

Relationships. Can't get CGP; my mock is on Tuesday.
Reply 5
Original post by Lovinlife2
Try and see if there's any simplified version of the poems you're studying in the clusters online, then that'll give you a great overview of the poem which you can easily revise. Then you can dig deep and analyse in utter detail.

I'll PM you more info; what cluster are you studying? :smile:

Relationships. Thanks, that would be of great help. :smile:
Relationships. Can't get CGP; my mock is on Tuesday.

That's a pretty crap cluster- conflict is so much easier.
I'd say just learn the key features of poems and what themes they link to. My friend did the relationships mock and said it was pretty easy.
The unseen part is REALLY easy- I could tell you what its about, but that would be cheating-ish.
Reply 7
Original post by hxfsxh
That's a pretty crap cluster- conflict is so much easier.
I'd say just learn the key features of poems and what themes they link to. My friend did the relationships mock and said it was pretty easy.
The unseen part is REALLY easy- I could tell you what its about, but that would be cheating-ish.

The unseen poem wasn't 'Symptoms' by any chance, was it?
The unseen poem wasn't 'Symptoms' by any chance, was it?

Yeah, I think that s what it was called.
You have to say how the poet shows love in it.
I only got 12 because i ran out of time, but it is easy af to analyse because it can be read on two levels.
Reply 9
Original post by hxfsxh
Yeah, I think that s what it was called.
You have to say how the poet shows love in it.
I only got 12 because i ran out of time, but it is easy af to analyse because it can be read on two levels.

Ah, okay.

Quick Reply

Latest