The Student Room Group

Do you think this is a good way to discipline a child?

In this video the dad punishes his kids for getting bad grades by sending them to school with terrible haircuts. I thought this was hilarious.

[video="youtube;uHgCd3B-Um4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHgCd3B-Um4[/video]
It's going to make the kid a victim of bullying and it'll drive him insane, poor discipline.
Reply 2
Original post by al_94
In this video the dad punishes his kids for getting bad grades by sending them to school with terrible haircuts. I thought this was hilarious.

This girl's dad cute her hair and posted the video on Facebook so all her friends saw (idk what she did wrong)
... she killed herself 0_0

tbh i don't think it's a good way to punish a kid because kids at school are cruel and will bully them and children are very sensitive like that - it would feel like they're whole life is going wrong because they're being bullied for a haircut when their hair will grow back
and then it's parental bullying as well - and nothing's worse than that :/

imo making them wear a silly T-shirt is better - it doesn't last as long and doesn't have as much of an effect on the kid's life - but they'll still remember the embarrassment from that day

but that's just me :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Original post by z33
This girl's dad cute her hair and posted the video on Facebook so all her friends saw (idk what she did wrong)
... she killed herself 0_0

tbh i don't think it's a good way to punish a kid because kids at school are cruel and will bully them and children are very sensitive like that - it would feel like they're whole life is going wrong because they're being bullied for a haircut when their hair will grow back
and then it's parental bullying as well - and nothing's worse than that :/

imo making them wear a silly T-shirt is better - it doesn't last as long and doesn't have as much of an effect on the kid's life - but they'll still remember the embarrassment from that day

but that's just me :rolleyes:

That's sad to hear that she killed herself over what her dad did to her. I think those kids deserved what they got though they had f grades they wont likely go anywhere in life being that stupid somebody has to discipline them and teach them a lesson so that they learn.
Reply 4
Original post by al_94
That's sad to hear that she killed herself over what her dad did to her. I think those kids deserved what they got though they had f grades they wont likely go anywhere in life being that stupid somebody has to discipline them and teach them a lesson so that they learn.

it is :/

well tbh in this day and age you can pretty much do anything without the need for grades
theres things like apprenticeships and BTECs if you aint good with exams and even just straight up working your way up
I mean people be earning mad money making vids on YouTube - it's not that deep anymore x'D
Reply 5
i agree, punish kids at home but not at school where they will get bullied and their self esteem goes lower
So he's punishing his children by making them feel humiliated. I feel sorry for his kids, they'll no doubt be bullied massively at school and that'll just shatter their confidence and self-esteem. If his kids aren't performing well at school due to laziness he should just take away any privileges like their video games, phones, pocket money, going out with friends etc. Not exactly rocket science.
Reply 7
Original post by al_94

[video="youtube;uHgCd3B-Um4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHgCd3B-Um4[/video]

That could potentially be considered child abuse. He did it out of an attempt to humiliate his kids. I honestly have serious safeguarding concerns about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Disciplining your children is absolutely fine. I will discipline my children in the way that my parents did to me. But the video of the father and his son's hair is just pure cruelty

Posted from TSR Mobile
This happened to someone at my school :sadnod:
Reply 10
Original post by Katty3
That could potentially be considered child abuse. He did it out of an attempt to humiliate his kids. I honestly have serious safeguarding concerns about this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you don't find it funny? I do kind of feel sorry for them but they did have multiple chances so I have to say they deserve it
Children should not be humiliated. This isn't discipline, it's just cruel.
Public embarrassment as a punishment is so wrong. You'd rather rely on your child being bullied, ridiculed and laughed at in public by other people than take up your true responsibility as a parent and make sure they don't do it again by… oh, I don't know… helping them? Bad grades. So, instead of cutting your child's hair, filming it, uploading it online (forever) and embarrassing them you could actually sit down and see where it went wrong? Remove entertainment sources until their grades pick up? But no, this is obviously a good way to parent. A*. All this shows is poor parenting and brutish behaviour on the parent's part.
Despicable.
Reply 14
Original post by al_94
So you don't find it funny? I do kind of feel sorry for them but they did have multiple chances so I have to say they deserve it

Absolutely not. It's ritual humiliation and bullying. It is a form of child abuse and is illegal. If I were working with those children, I would be taking them into care. They are at risk of serious emotional harm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest