The Student Room Group

FdEng to Russell Group

hi!
Is it possible with a FdEng to get direct entry to an engineering degree at Russell Group?
thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Yo studos,

what Russell Group universities have you been looking at in particular? Is there any reason you want to study at a Russell Group? It doesn't make that much of a difference to undergraduate engineers to be perfectly honest.

What A level results did you achieve? And usually FdEng leads to a BSc qualification, as opposed to going for BEng which I assume is what you want?
Reply 2
OK, it doesn't have to be russell, but a good one

No, FdEng does NOT usually lead to BSc, how did you come up with something like that?

I am talking about BEng only
Original post by studos
OK, it doesn't have to be russell, but a good one

No, FdEng does NOT usually lead to BSc, how did you come up with something like that?

I am talking about BEng only

Because people that don't meet the requirements for direct entry BEng/MEng usually do the foundation program, and often progress either onto a BSc program or sometime a BEng, it depends entirely on the institution.

At my university, which is a Russell Group and brilliant engineering university, you do a BEng with foundation year, the foundation year is not an FdEng qualification or worth anything in itself, it forms part of the 3 year BEng program so 4 years in total. Those that do decide to go for FdEng, will usually choose to go for a BSc.

The best thing to do is to contact the university directly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MountKimbie
Because people that don't meet the requirements for direct entry BEng/MEng usually do the foundation program, and often progress either onto a BSc program or sometime a BEng, it depends entirely on the institution.

At my university, which is a Russell Group and brilliant engineering university, you do a BEng with foundation year, the foundation year is not an FdEng qualification or worth anything in itself, it forms part of the 3 year BEng program so 4 years in total. Those that do decide to go for FdEng, will usually choose to go for a BSc.

The best thing to do is to contact the university directly.

Do you mind telling which UNI you go to?and which course are you taking?
I'm looking for a good UNI for foundation year, considering that you said your university is a good one.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by H.b9
Do you mind telling which UNI you go to?and which course are you taking?
I'm looking for a good UNI for foundation year, considering that you said your university is a good one.

Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you don't know how to read
I never said that the uni I do FdEng is good
Original post by studos
you don't know how to read
I never said that the uni I do FdEng is good

Do you not know how to read either?

That post was addressed to me :wink:
Reply 7
Do you not know how to read either?

That post was addressed to me :wink:

Yeah it was actually for you, sorry for intruding in the thread...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
yes please don't intrude into my thread like that and without quoting
Original post by studos

He did quote me :smile:

How is your search for RG unis going?
Reply 10
Original post by studos

Who? You didn't quite anyone...

Posted from TSR Mobile
With an FdEng you should be able to get direct entry to second year or third year if you're lucky, however if you can only get into second year you may be better off doing a top-up year to a BEng and then an MSc seeing as it'll save you a year and a masters is the standard qualification anyway.
Reply 13
Original post by Helloworld_95
With an FdEng you should be able to get direct entry to second year or third year if you're lucky, however if you can only get into second year you may be better off doing a top-up year to a BEng and then an MSc seeing as it'll save you a year and a masters is the standard qualification anyway.

What about the potential lack of funding for an MSc? Better to aim for MEng surely?
Original post by jneill
What about the potential lack of funding for an MSc? Better to aim for MEng surely?

MSc and MEng aren't equivalent qualifications, but there is new funding opportunities for MSc programs now.
Reply 15
MSc and MEng aren't equivalent qualifications, but there is new funding opportunities for MSc programs now.

For CEng charter status they are.
Original post by jneill

New postgraduate loans? And I don't think the kind of uni's which do top ups offer MEng top ups.
MSc and MEng aren't equivalent qualifications

They are.
Original post by Smack
They are.

isn't MSc more credits?
isn't MSc more credits?

I don't know anything about credits, but both are masters level qualifications and are equivalent to each other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending