The Student Room Group

Hardest unit in Maths/Further Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Either FP4 or M4. I didn't do S3 or S4 though.
Original post by morgan8002
Either FP4 or M4. I didn't do S3 or S4 though.

I heard FP4 contains a lot of stuff not covered in any other boards' FP3 modules but instead is covered only at undergrad. Is that true?
I think the hardest I have done are the further pure modules, doing FP1 last year I was convinced I understood everything and could do all the past papers. But the exam really screwed me over. I'll be interested to see if FP3 turns out the same this year... (lets hope not).
(edited 8 years ago)
Edexcel (I've covered C1-4, M1 (some of 2), S1-2, FP1-3).

FP3 is pretty solid, especially the vectors and integration chapters. The exam questions seem a lot harder for FP3 especially compared with FP2. As for FP2, series, inequalities and taylor and mclaurin series are really easy, the other 3 modules are pretty hard (it's just remembering what to do for differential equations). FP1, generally, is lovely.

C1-4 is nice, especially C1 and C2. I don't like C4 vectors or C4 differential equations but they aren't too bad.

M1 I dislike because it's mechanics, but it's not awful. In last years paper, there were two really hard questions but the rest of it was easy. S1 and S2 were OK, S2 had much nicer distributions but CRV's weren't as good and S1 was generally recap from GCSE with some other probability distributions thrown in.
Reply 24
Original post by Student403
Yea but there's also taking in to account learning the material. I'd say M1/M2 are on a level far lower than M3-M5

I'd say the mechanics modules are definitely easier than FP2, I found that tricky, stats is by far the easiest and strategically if anyone wants just an A they should go for those lol.

The only concept I struggled with in mechanics was relative velocity. :frown: That was a nightmare.

Obviously the content depends on the exam board, for me FP3 was differentials and series which was very easy in comparison to FP2.
I heard FP4 contains a lot of stuff not covered in any other boards' FP3 modules but instead is covered only at undergrad. Is that true?

No. I think a lot of it is in FP1 or FP3 Edexcel. There's probably some that isn't but it'll all be covered in the first two months of a physics degree or the first 6 months of a maths degree.
Core 1.
Reply 27
definitely M5
Original post by morgan8002
No. I think a lot of it is in FP1 or FP3 Edexcel. There's probably some that isn't but it'll all be covered in the first two months of a physics degree or the first 6 months of a maths degree.

Oh cool!

Original post by Sae.HH
I'd say the mechanics modules are definitely easier than FP2, I found that tricky, stats is by far the easiest and strategically if anyone wants just an A they should go for those lol.

The only concept I struggled with in mechanics was relative velocity. :frown: That was a nightmare.

Obviously the content depends on the exam board, for me FP3 was differentials and series which was very easy in comparison to FP2.

Fair enough :smile: I dunno man I'm finding M4/M5 a lot harder than FP2/FP3, but I agree with the stats modules
Original post by lig1729
Really? I am not taking it but it seems the easiest Mechanics module of the lot.

:hmmmm2:

No way

Original post by TeeEm
definitely M5

+2 @M5. :nooo: M5 makes me want to :shot: :afraid:
Reply 30
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

+2 @M5. :nooo: M5 makes me want to :shot:

If you can do simple differential equations (which we all should) then M5 seems a doddle. Only reason I am not taking it is because it has the number 5. I just filled out my form in order so I am taking MM03 & MM04 in FM.
Any opinions on the OCR MEI course?
On AQA, probably FP2.

FP4/FP3 are easier.
Reply 33
Original post by Argylesocksrox
On AQA, probably FP2.

FP4/FP3 are easier.

I think people say FP2 because most of them have never been exposed to complex numbers before.
FP4 was the hardest for me! And reflected in my grade for it 😏
I know this is slightly off-topic but I'm in Yr11 and looking to get a Grade A at GCSE put pushing for an A*.
Do you think I have a shot at Further Maths next year? I'm used to putting in the effort so being motivated isn't a problem. Thanks...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by Himani Vadhia
I know this is slightly off-topic but I'm in Yr11 and looking to get a Grade A at GCSE put pushing for an A*.
Do you think I have a shot at Further Maths next year? I'm used to putting in the effort so being motivated isn't a problem. Thanks...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No reason why not. It's not some arcana that can only be understood by the chosen few of the high priesthood.
I've done C1-4 + S1-2 and C4 is the hardest for me purely because of integration.
Original post by lig1729
No reason why not. It's not some arcana that can only be understood by the chosen few of the high priesthood.

Wasn't expect that reply but thanks...😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
definitely M5

You mean M4. It has relative motion!

Quick Reply

Latest