The Student Room Group

French GCSE- One sentence help

Hows do you say:

They should at least fix the traffic (embouteillages/bottlneck?) which has been polluting the air and causing embarrassing road rages.

Thanks for the help as i do not know the words or how to form this sentence.
Ils doivent au moins réparer la circulation qu'a pollué l'air et était une cause des rages au volant qu'ils sont embarrassant

??
really not sure about that though!
@surina16

thanks for the help! all help is welcome
Original post by Edmar Hadad
@surina16

thanks for the help! all help is welcome

No problem, although I wouldn't trust that sentence since I'm also doing GCSE :s-smilie:
Original post by surina16
No problem, although I wouldn't trust that sentence since I'm also doing GCSE :s-smilie:

haha sure thing
You don't say whether this is for a translation or an essay(?).

If you just want an approximation in meaning then perhaps - ils pourraient toujours empecher les embouteillages qui polluent l'air des villes et en plus font rager les conducteurs.

One of the most difficult things is translation because you risk offering a too literal translation which no native speaker would ever say.
Original post by pickup
You don't say whether this is for a translation or an essay(?).

If you just want an approximation in meaning then perhaps - ils pourraient toujours empecher les embouteillages qui polluent l'air des villes et en plus font rager les conducteurs.

One of the most difficult things is translation because you risk offering a too literal translation which no native speaker would ever say.

Its for GCSE writing, taking that in mind what would be suitable to use?
Reply 8
Hello there !
"They should at least fix the traffic (embouteillages/bottlneck?) which has been polluting the air and causing embarrassing road rages."
In french, it will give something like :

"Ils devraient au moins régler le problème du trafic, qui pollue l'air et provoque des comportements violents."

Here I took the liberty to translate "fix" by "régler le problème", as the closest equivalent to this is "réparer", which is out of context here.
"Embarassing road rages" is quite funny ! You can't translate that directly. I mean, in case of traffic jam, people don't go outside cars and randomly fight, right ?
So i translated that by "comportement violents" (violent behaviours).

Good luck with your exercise !

Quick Reply