The Student Room Group

Tesco to Cut Pay for Night shifts and Sundays

So what does everyone think about Tesco's plans to effectively cut pay for their staff from July?
Perhaps in a climate where people were still desperate for work this might have been workable, but unemployment rates are now improving and I think if I worked in a low paid job like a supermarket, a change like this might force me to look for work elsewhere.
If you aren't getting paid extra for premium times like weekends, evenings and nights then what's the point?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3424205/Tesco-slash-pay-staff-working-overtime-late-nights-Bank-Holidays.html
Reply 1
every little helps. Squeeze your suppliers and employees
Original post by Smile88egc

If you aren't getting paid extra for premium times like weekends, evenings and nights then what's the point?

According to the link you posted, the only time which is now going to be paid at the standard rate is 10pm-12pm. Sundays and bank holidays still get time and a half. While I'm sure they won't be happy, I doubt it's going to lead to droves of people leaving. Plenty of places don't pay premium rates anymore, so it's bringing Tesco closer into line with many other employers. I've had 15 jobs or so, and of those only one paid an enhanced rate for overtime, and that was about 10% extra - and that was paid for over 8 hours a day, weekends included. Other places I've worked didn't pay overtime at all, but we still had to work it!
Reply 3
But plenty of other jobs don't include anti-social hours and so don't need to pay enhanced rates to attract people to work there.
It's a question of supply and demand, and my point was that there isn't a huge glut of people looking for work anymore, and I wonder if this will harm tesco's recruitment prospects.
Shift working and in particular working at night has an obvious impact on social/family life and a lesser known but equally important effect on health, mental and physical. Tesco may find that these are things don't want to give up without significant financial incentive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending