The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bigs1998
yeah my interview was much the same as yours and I totally agree with you i much prefer traditional. I applied to aberdeen dundee glasgow and st andrews and have had interviews for the first three. Not to confident ill get an offer though. Wbu?

I applied to the same places at you except St Andrews(Edinburgh) Ive had all my interviews(Edinburgh doesn't interview)
Aberdeen: meh; the staffs were super lovely, the role-play was nice, some questions were just so random and awkward, I had no idea how to tackle them; I forgot the meaning of a basic medical(ish) term and had to ask them to define it for me :colondollar:(then I was like, omg duh!) others were fair. I have to say Aberdeen put a lot of effort to attract students.. its the only school that send me a letter to acknowledge my application and invite me&my parents to the applicant info night.. I was really touched:biggrin:
Dundee: disastrous; just disastrous... It was very fast-paced; The fact that every station had more than one person just made me more nervous as I didn't know who to make eye contact with.. the staffs were again lovely and helpful too!
Glasgow: okayish; loved the atmosphere; generally more relaxed and they really try to find out you as a person; what you like and what you do in your spare time etc. they are not that judgmental if I say something stupid... Even the student helpers were super friendly! they want to know you, not just a medicine applicant; which I really appreciate! Long break in-between!
I have already thought about a gap year tbh:biggrin:
Fingers-crossed for you
Original post by Junioh
I applied to the same places at you except St Andrews(Edinburgh) Ive had all my interviews(Edinburgh doesn't interview)
Aberdeen: meh; the staffs were super lovely, the role-play was nice, some questions were just so random and awkward, I had no idea how to tackle them; I forgot the meaning of a basic medical(ish) term and had to ask them to define it for me :colondollar:(then I was like, omg duh!) others were fair. I have to say Aberdeen put a lot of effort to attract students.. its the only school that send me a letter to acknowledge my application and invite me&my parents to the applicant info night.. I was really touched:biggrin:
Dundee: disastrous; just disastrous... It was very fast-paced; The fact that every station had more than one person just made me more nervous as I didn't know who to make eye contact with.. the staffs were again lovely and helpful too!
Glasgow: okayish; loved the atmosphere; generally more relaxed and they really try to find out you as a person; what you like and what you do in your spare time etc. they are not that judgmental if I say something stupid... Even the student helpers were super friendly! they want to know you, not just a medicine applicant; which I really appreciate! Long break in-between!
Fingers-crossed for you

Nah I'm sure you'll have done better than you expected and you'll probably get an offer man :smile: I feel similarly about dundee so don't think your all alone in that one.
Nah I'm sure you'll have done better than you expected and you'll probably get an offer man :smile: I feel similarly about dundee so don't think your all alone in that one.

Hahahahha I thought it was only me; other interviewees came out and said really positive things about the interview..
Hopefully we will get offers; if not a gap year doesn't sound that bad too :biggrin:
What about your Aberdeen?
Original post by Junioh
Hahahahha I thought it was only me; other interviewees came out and said really positive things about the interview..
Hopefully we will get offers; if not a gap year doesn't sound that bad too :biggrin:
What about your Aberdeen?

aberdeen was ok tbh. Some good stations some bad ones but I'm really not sure how to feel about it overall. Are you I assume your a scottish leaver? What are your stats if you dont mind?
aberdeen was ok tbh. Some good stations some bad ones but I'm really not sure how to feel about it overall. Are you I assume your a scottish leaver? What are your stats if you dont mind?

All As, predicted As, shitty UKCAT, not much WE; a few months charity shop voluntary work and care home volunteering, not the school's dux or the head/deputy head/student council/house captain whatever... school pupil librarian...
I did achieve the best grade in physics out of my whole class(by getting 71%:colondollar:
Oh god I feel embarrassed as I type these...
Original post by Junioh
All As, predicted As, shitty UKCAT, not much WE; a few months charity shop voluntary work and care home volunteering, not the school's dux or the head/deputy head/student council/house captain whatever... school pupil librarian...
I did achieve the best grade in physics out of my whole class(by getting 71%:colondollar:
Oh god I feel embarrassed as I type these...

Nah man dont be embarresed ahaha, your stats got you enouygh for three interviews so I wouldn't be too worried. :smile:
Nah man dont be embarresed ahaha, your stats got you enouygh for three interviews so I wouldn't be too worried. :smile:

Thanks pal! What about u?
Original post by Junioh
Thanks pal! What about u?

5A's 3A's adv higher predicted. Very average ukcat. 1 week work exp 5 months volunteering in a hospital cafe. Pretty similar to yourself tbh
Original post by Junioh

Fingers-crossed for you

Tbf if you do the maths, with 3 interviews you have a 90% probability of getting at least one offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pennyarcade
Tbf if you do the maths, with 3 interviews you have a 90% probability of getting at least one offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

on the other hand, there is 10% chance of not getting any offer :tongue: (okay okay I will shut up...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can i ask how many offer you got last year man and how you prepared for interview?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 871

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahahaha theres no way it could be 90% probability, what if you bombed every single interview, it'd be 0%
Can i ask how many offer you got last year man and how you prepared for interview?

Read around the subject and stuff. Learned basic interview and ethic tips too

Original post by Ekno
hahahaha theres no way it could be 90% probability, what if you bombed every single interview, it'd be 0%

This is statistically speaking mind, assuming 50% chance at each interview (It's normally higher than this too)

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is statistically speaking mind, assuming 50% chance at each interview (It's normally higher than this too)

Posted from TSR Mobile

How long did you spend preparing?
How long did you spend preparing?

Idk not that long. If you know enough about medicine to apply then you shouldn't need to spend long preparing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Idk not that long. If you know enough about medicine to apply then you shouldn't need to spend long preparing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sweet, thanks for your help man. Are you in first year, if so how are you finding it?
Sweet, thanks for your help man. Are you in first year, if so how are you finding it?

Decent enough. Glasgow is kind in that they give you a 6 month intro to medicine before properly starting the course.

So you basically have an empty timetable and bugger all work to do compared to everyone else. Loads more time for getting mwi

Posted from TSR Mobile
Decent enough. Glasgow is kind in that they give you a 6 month intro to medicine before properly starting the course.

So you basically have an empty timetable and bugger all work to do compared to everyone else. Loads more time for getting mwi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha spoken like a true Glaswegian
Reply 878

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahhhh i see what you mean. Shame not all the unis have a 1:2 ratio of offers:interviews or that'd be really good offer odds haha
5A's 3A's adv higher predicted. Very average ukcat. 1 week work exp 5 months volunteering in a hospital cafe. Pretty similar to yourself tbh

Hi! Can I ask what exactly your UKCAT was? Mines was average, (from what I can judge, 2600) and I'm in a similar position to yourself academically, but I haven't received an offer for interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending