The Student Room Group

English BAs in Scotland?

Hi there,

Basically, I'm in this circumstance where I unfortunately messed up high school :frown: I'm by no means daft but I have no way of proving this seeing as I ruined my grades by choosing the wrong paths and by prioritising wrong.

I'm not looking for English literature courses, just English itself as this is what's required to teach English at secondary level. The gov website specifically says that literature courses won't do sadly so I can't budge.

What I have at the moment is:
A - English
B - History
C - Art
D - Business Management

I've also done an NC in art and design and I'm currently on a HND Marketing course. I passed all my modules on the NC and I'm only on year one of my HND but so far my results are promising.

However, most courses seem to want something along the lines of AABBB by 5th year and I clearly don't have that :frown: have I already ruined my chances? Or have I overlooked some English courses that are more lenient?

Many thanks x
Reply 1
Original post by ShannyMorrison
Hi there,

Basically, I'm in this circumstance where I unfortunately messed up high school :frown: I'm by no means daft but I have no way of proving this seeing as I ruined my grades by choosing the wrong paths and by prioritising wrong.

I'm not looking for English literature courses, just English itself as this is what's required to teach English at secondary level. The gov website specifically says that literature courses won't do sadly so I can't budge.

What I have at the moment is:
A - English
B - History
C - Art
D - Business Management

I've also done an NC in art and design and I'm currently on a HND Marketing course. I passed all my modules on the NC and I'm only on year one of my HND but so far my results are promising.

However, most courses seem to want something along the lines of AABBB by 5th year and I clearly don't have that :frown: have I already ruined my chances? Or have I overlooked some English courses that are more lenient?

Many thanks x

You're best bet is to contact the uni and see if they will take you :smile:

I'm in a similar position as you, so I contacted the uni I wanted to go to to see if they would take me with an HNC and they said they would :smile: I did really bad in my highers lol.

Only some uni's will put on their website if they will take HNC/HND so it's best to ask.
Original post by RJ9393
You're best bet is to contact the uni and see if they will take you :smile:

I'm in a similar position as you, so I contacted the uni I wanted to go to to see if they would take me with an HNC and they said they would :smile: I did really bad in my highers lol.

Only some uni's will put on their website if they will take HNC/HND so it's best to ask.

Thank you! Did you contact many universities?

I was thinking about contacting them too but I plan to wait a while, I know they'll be busy with applicants at the moment and I'm waiting til next year anyway :smile: did you contact any in Scotland or were you looking elsewhere?

I didn't do great in my highers and you have no idea how much I regret it haha!
Reply 3
Original post by ShannyMorrison
Thank you! Did you contact many universities?

I was thinking about contacting them too but I plan to wait a while, I know they'll be busy with applicants at the moment and I'm waiting til next year anyway :smile: did you contact any in Scotland or were you looking elsewhere?

I didn't do great in my highers and you have no idea how much I regret it haha!

I only contacted one cause they are the only uni that does that course I want to do.

Yeah that's probably a good idea, I contacted them first in June last year but I emailed a couple weeks ago when I found out which units were in the HNC just to double check, but they did say back June that the would take me with the HNC.
Well the only uni that does the course I want to do is University of Bristol.

I did an HND a few years ago and applied to Strathclyde Uni and Glasgow Caledonian Uni and I got offers for both with my HND (I ended up changing my mind on what I wanted to do though lol).

Well you did better than me :P I wish I had done better too lol!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending