The Student Room Group

I am bad at Physics (A-levels)

How to improve quickly, i am extremely bad at "waves and particle nature of light and materials"

Please urgent help needed !!
Original post by y_u.know_me
How to improve quickly, i am extremely bad at "waves and particle nature of light and materials"

Please urgent help needed !!

hey mate im in the in same position as you with particles etc... im doing AQA i assume you are as well. Just keep doing past papers memorise the mark scheme answers. You will notice that the same questions seem to pop up always (NOT ALL QUESTIONS SOME) so now you need to keep practicing :smile:
I'm getting E's atm in the mock i got a D i need an A. And i will attain it because i am Hououin Kyoma the mad scientist! just believe in yourself also
What do you find difficult about them? To a certain extent that part of AS physics is very much a memory test, but obviously you need a certain level of understanding too. Check out physicsandmathstutor which has collections of old spec questions on each topic, various other sources etc
Reply 3
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
hey mate im in the in same position as you with particles etc... im doing AQA i assume you are as well. Just keep doing past papers memorise the mark scheme answers. You will notice that the same questions seem to pop up always (NOT ALL QUESTIONS SOME) so now you need to keep practicing :smile:
I'm getting E's atm in the mock i got a D i need an A. And i will attain it because i am Hououin Kyoma the mad scientist! just believe in yourself also

Thanks for the advice, i do rely on the markscheme but if the questions in the exam differ it`s going to be bad thing, so i want to make my foundation extremely strong. (i do edexcel by the way)
Reply 4
Original post by samb1234
What do you find difficult about them? To a certain extent that part of AS physics is very much a memory test, but obviously you need a certain level of understanding too. Check out physicsandmathstutor which has collections of old spec questions on each topic, various other sources etc

i find diffraction, interference, viscosity and stationary waves confusing. ..
Original post by RoadtoSuccess

Hey man! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Imperion
Hey man! :biggrin:

Hi
Original post by y_u.know_me
i find diffraction, interference, viscosity and stationary waves confusing. ..

Diffraction interference and stationary waves are all the same thing really. The main poiny you need to understand is that waves are vectors, meaning that if you have two or more waves it is not the magnitudes that combine, they add in a vector form. This means that if you had two waves of the same amplitude in antiphase phase difference) then the 2 waves will perfectly cancel out (as, to use the example of a rope oscillating, one wave would be in the up part when the other wave is in the down part, so the two cancel.) That is basically how interference works and since both diffusion paterns and standing waves are phenomena of interference they can both be easily explained too

Quick Reply

Latest