The Student Room Group

further maths gcse

starting further maths this week is it hard? im quite good at gcse maths

Scroll to see replies

If you're at an A* at normal maths and very confident, go for it but its is hard
Reply 2
Original post by hxfsxh
If you're at an A* at normal maths and very confident, go for it but its is hard

Thanks !!!!!!!
Original post by chris2791
Thanks !!!!!!!

I was offered to do further maths, started and dropped it. It was too much for me :lol:
Reply 4
Original post by hxfsxh
I was offered to do further maths, started and dropped it. It was too much for me :lol:

Oh gosh i dont want to do it any more ahah is it really demanding in all other subjects you do
Original post by chris2791
Oh gosh i dont want to do it any more ahah is it really demanding in all other subjects you do

Well kind-of. It was just the fact that I'd rather focus on getting my A*s in all 10 subjects rather than just As and Bs across 11 subjects. I work well under pressure, but trying to handle further maths with everything else was difficult because there was quite a bit of new stuff which was taking ages to learn and get used to.
It is harder compared to normal maths but the grade boundaries are quite low (for AQA anyway). And it really puts you at an advantage if you want to do AS level maths
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by hxfsxh
Well kind-of. It was just the fact that I'd rather focus on getting my A*s in all 10 subjects rather than just As and Bs across 11 subjects. I work well under pressure, but trying to handle further maths with everything else was difficult because there was quite a bit of new stuff which was taking ages to learn and get used to.

good point thanks for that keep that in mind if I want to drop out thanks
Reply 8
Wait is it really that hard? My school have really played down the difficulty of Further Maths, saying we're more than capable of getting an A or an A*... reading this has got me kinda worried.
Original post by zanner
Wait is it really that hard? My school have really played down the difficulty of Further Maths, saying we're more than capable of getting an A or an A*... reading this has got me kinda worried.

Its easy to get a high grade if you're already at a high grade.
i thought it was easy. i got an A^ and slightly higher raw mark on further maths than on normal maths (96% on FM and 95% on normal maths). my sister actually only got an A on GCSE maths but got an A* on gcse further maths. it's 50% algebra so if you r good at that then it's easy. calculus is also easy. there's no stupid maths that i hate like constructions or statistics/probability and histograms.
Reply 11
Original post by hxfsxh
Its easy to get a high grade if you're already at a high grade.

The thing is we aren't really being taught further maths per se, they're just entering us into the exam

ripppp
Original post by zanner
The thing is we aren't really being taught further maths per se, they're just entering us into the exam

ripppp

That's so weird! Yes, about 75% of the exam is the A* overlap from normal maths but there is loads of new stuff like matrices and things etc. xD
People at your school must be really clever :lol:
Not particularly challenging as long as you make sure you understand it as you learn it, basically an introduction to A level. I got an A^ in mocks, no harm in doing it if you're confident with normal maths
Reply 14
I didn't know there was a further maths GCSE aha
Reply 15
Original post by hxfsxh
That's so weird! Yes, about 75% of the exam is the A* overlap from normal maths but there is loads of new stuff like matrices and things etc. xD
People at your school must be really clever :lol:

awwwwwww hellllllllll naaaaaaah i go to the worst school in my city probably (it's defo bottom 3)

they're entering like 10 people because 'eh why not?'

basically we aren't doing enough GCSEs and they were just like 'FM for u kiddos'

yeah i got the matrices question wrong bc idk how to do it, i taught myself differentiation tho dy/dx masterrace
Original post by zanner
awwwwwww hellllllllll naaaaaaah i go to the worst school in my city probably (it's defo bottom 3)

they're entering like 10 people because 'eh why not?'

basically we aren't doing enough GCSEs and they were just like 'FM for u kiddos'

yeah i got the matrices question wrong bc idk how to do it, i taught myself differentiation tho dy/dx masterrace

Well still xD
I go to a grammar school and anyone in set 2 and below has been told they can't take A-Level maths or further maths because they aren't up to it :lol:
I did not know it existed till you asked. My school offers Statistics but not further maths so never heard of it before, also you don't really need the extra GCSE for any A level or University course. All Universities would only want GCSE Maths at A*-C and your better of just doing Maths than putting extra pressure on yourself. It would be better to get an A* in Maths than get something like a B due to the further maths pressure. I see you are bright and intelligent but, really is it worth the effort? do you actually need it?
Reply 18
Original post by hxfsxh
Well still xD
I go to a grammar school and anyone in set 2 and below has been told they can't take A-Level maths or further maths because they aren't up to it :lol:

i am 100% not going to this schools 6th form they dont even have a proper maths teacher rippppppppp

bc i wanna do a level maths and further maths!!!
Original post by zanner
i am 100% not going to this schools 6th form they dont even have a proper maths teacher rippppppppp

bc i wanna do a level maths and further maths!!!

Do what you want :tongue: Screw everyone (metaphorically not literally) :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest