The Student Room Group

Ethnic minority graduates in Britain are much less likely to be employed than their w

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ronda Rousey
that's because of benefits.

Elaborate..
Original post by cherryred90s
Elaborate..

Have been numerous discussions on here about how benefits create a disincentive for people to work or perform well in education.

Poor white boys perform the worst because being UK nationals their families have benefits, whereas minorities, likely to be immigrants, dont have entitlement to as many benefits or or even any, and so there's more need for them to perform in school / get work.
Original post by _icecream
Ethnic minority graduates in Britain are much less likely to be employed than their white peers six months after graduation.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/jan/30/ethnic-minority-graduates-earn-less-struggle-to-build-careers

So what should we do about this... Should ethnic minorities have less requirements to get a job than white people? Should we hand jobs to people based on their race?
Have been numerous discussions on here about how benefits create a disincentive for people to work or perform well in education.

Poor white boys perform the worst because being UK nationals their families have benefits, whereas minorities, likely to be immigrants, dont have entitlement to as many benefits or or even any, and so there's more need for them to perform in school / get work.

Could also have something to do with culture
Reply 24
Original post by murakamami
Just going to have to be your typical Asian housewife then:frown:.

That's not exactly a bad thing :tongue:

But its the immigrants kids that are finding it hard to get job of equal pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's difficult to stop. Ultimately the hiring process in the private sector is a great deal more personalized than the public, and so the make-up of those being taken on (more often than not) often closely resembles that of the incumbent employees. AA wouldn't stop this, as there's no provision for equal access legislation to sweep the board clean and start again. Instead it would only influence the already positively discriminatory public sector, in which separate, less competitive "diversity tracks" have been established to address perceived imbalances.

Re: white working class boys, I think it's a dramatic oversimplification to blame the educational ills of a whole swathe of society on benefits and benefits alone. It might seem unlikely to you but vague and intangible concepts such as the national narrative and cultural/institutional expectations do have a significant impact upon a child's desire to succeed. A lot of minority students and their families carry a momentum with them that many white, working class families in the UK (who've been stuck on the same rung for generations) would simply find impossible to attain.
Original post by TheBBQ
That's not exactly a bad thing :tongue:

It's the last thing I'd want to be :frown:
I think you will find a larger percentage of BME graduates study STEM subjects. The percentage of BMEs studying humanities is very low. Therefore introducing something similar to the affirmative action which is used in America is required to reduce discrimination in the recruitment process.

So to reduce discrimination you would implement a policy which discriminates. Have you thought this through?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
it's 'cause they don't like our chapatis

Lmao where are you from? How do you know Chapatti

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HucktheForde
But its the immigrants kids that are finding it hard to get job of equal pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. Immigrants are doubly f***ed.
Reply 31

But the Minorities are British born they have British nationality.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Featherstone1
It's difficult to stop. Ultimately the hiring process in the private sector is a great deal more personalized than the public, and so the make-up of those being taken on (more often than not) often closely resembles that of the incumbent employees. AA wouldn't stop this, as there's no provision for equal access legislation to sweep the board clean and start again. Instead it would only influence the already positively discriminatory public sector, in which separate, less competitive "diversity tracks" have been established to address perceived imbalances.

Re: white working class boys, I think it's a dramatic oversimplification to blame the educational ills of a whole swathe of society on benefits and benefits alone. It might seem unlikely to you but vague and intangible concepts such as the national narrative and cultural/institutional expectations do have a significant impact upon a child's desire to succeed. A lot of minority students and their families carry a momentum with them that many white, working class families in the UK (who've been stuck on the same rung for generations) would simply find impossible to attain.

It's not about being on a low income or benefits that should dictate someones place in society. Although, I do understand Britain is a very classist society. Ethnic minorities know that and it's why the vast majority of them are self employed and are making fat salaries. Ethnic minority parents also push their kids to do well at school, take a look at one of the most deprived boroughs of London the vast majority of ethnic minority kids achieve good grades despite living in a deprived part of London. I've seen many of ethnic minority kids from modest backgrounds become Doctors/Dentists etc.
There's nothing stopping white working class kids from achieving a similar success

True
Nah if anything its the other way round. So much equal opps legislation and EU/corporate jew interference that you almost cannot not hire a BME. All the media are in on the conspiracy as well, you can hardly turn the pages of TES/Guardian without seeing beaming wogs in their graduation garb and pretty much 70% of the BBC news team these days is of S. Asian extraction. If I turned on the ****ing news in China and saw a cracker reading it or a black...well its unheard of. If we have a look at our own City of London most of the people in that are from elsewhere, the only whites are bloody yids.
(edited 8 years ago)

Evidence? Proof? Source?

Original post by cherryred90s
True
You're such a parrot.
Original post by maggie43
Lmao where are you from? How do you know Chapatti

Posted from TSR Mobile

because i'm mainstream Asian

that's why.

that's why.

I'm African. I love them lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's why.

you can be underground asian?
Reply 39
Obviously white people have it better than us that's why its ridiculous all these white people complaining about how bad it is for the white man lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending