The Student Room Group

Can video games contribute as military training?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Barney6262
Only teaching theory such as formation and tactical thinking.

But when the **** really hits the fan and bullets start flying, instinct is the main controller. That is why training needs to be realistic, then it will become instinct.

That's what my RSM (WO2) said about training. He has been to Bosnia, Ireland and Iraq. I assume he knows what he is talking about. Even though i'm just a JNCO Staff sergeant, from training I have done I can see what he means.

All the first aid training on how to apply bandages doesn't prepare you for the panic and shock of the real thing. On one of our Night Exes a cadet managed to slice open his wrist on barbed wire (Lots and lots of bright red blood). Everyone started panicking and forgetting how to properly do first aid. Eventually had to run out to them because they were making no sense on the radio. The cadet was fine and just had a scar btw.

How is your RSM only a WO2?

SS

Edit: Oh, you're a cadet. I'll turn walt-hunter mode off...
(edited 8 years ago)
Technically then I'm capable of flying a fighter jet... enough exp.
Original post by Student403
Ngl I lol'ed xD

I do try :laugh:
Can they?

No.

Could they?

Not really.

However, some things are pretty close. Flying a UAV (depending on type) isn't really going to come across as much different to an advanced flight simulator. But that doesn't mean that one will prepare you for another.
Reply 24
So yeah - I think it is good for skipping the first couple lessons of how to use a gun, basic protocols, codes, equipment references etc. - like if one were to be told "Predator Inbound, Danger Close", they'd know what was going to happen etc.

But other than that, it's going to be detrimental - a lot of people running about in the open thinking they can "respawn" in a few seconds when really all they do is die.
Reply 25
Original post by Drewski
Can they?

No.

Could they?

Not really.

However, some things are pretty close. Flying a UAV (depending on type) isn't really going to come across as much different to an advanced flight simulator. But that doesn't mean that one will prepare you for another.

Exactly.

And then, it probably comes down towards flight simulators that are much more compatible with real world training from scratch, rather than military combat simulators, which will rely on the participants already undertaking real world training in person.
Original post by XMaramena
So yeah - I think it is good for skipping the first couple lessons of how to use a gun, basic protocols, codes, equipment references etc.

Not really. As much as there are some standard ones, there are a lot of non standard things that are individual to whatever formation you're in.
And I've yet to hear of any game that goes into depth about how you field strip your weapon and clean it thoroughly between engagements - an action that all forces personnel should find second nature.
well the same can be said about gta amongst some other games that the military has made similar simulators
i remember reading and that i think spiderman 3 and gta 4 were actually using old simulators from post-95/01 new york world trade center terror attacks as part of the standard main frame in the alpha/beta stages of development
Reply 28
Only as far as quicker reaction times

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Drewski
Not really. As much as there are some standard ones, there are a lot of non standard things that are individual to whatever formation you're in.
And I've yet to hear of any game that goes into depth about how you field strip your weapon and clean it thoroughly between engagements - an action that all forces personnel should find second nature.

this is true. first time I stripped a handgun, the recoil spring nearly took half my thumb off :P
Reply 30
Original post by Foo.mp3
The US military and others have used video games to train their recruits for years now, so aye, it may be considered a form of training

Yeah, but have you seen how **** the American military is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it might increase knowledge of military and combat but in practical sense like you said they might have a skewed idea of how actual combat should work and play out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt i can noscope 2 miles away and land a headshot, gain a predator missile instantly and call in a nuke irl.
Reply 33
Maybe a little. Arma could help build tactics, but only minimally, though it may help with following orders. I do think someone who's spent a lot of time piloting ingame jets, helicopters etc is probably going to be a better drone pilot (that one is probably very transferrable, as they use xbox controllers).

General gameplay could build reaction times, and sniping could increase ability to spot movement etc. I remember reading a study demonstrating that (http://www.popsci.com/brains-video-game-addicted-teens-are-hyper-connected).

Flight sims with manual buttons, sticks, etc could help a lot with actual flying, I've heard of some people with those setups doing well in commercial simulators.
Original post by JoeTSR
Maybe a little. Arma could help build tactics, but only minimally, though it may help with following orders. I do think someone who's spent a lot of time piloting ingame jets, helicopters etc is probably going to be a better drone pilot (that one is probably very transferrable, as they use xbox controllers).

Flight sims with manual buttons, sticks, etc could help a lot with actual flying, I've heard of some people with those setups doing well in commercial simulators.

Xbox controllers to fly drones? Are you sure?

Did you even read the links that you sent me?

"The system used to control the planes has been adapted by Lockheed Martin and
although the controller used by the soldiers to fly the plane is very similar to a
Microsoft Xbox 360 controller, it is not the same. You will see that there is no
Microsoft wording on the controller nor a wired headset port"

Our military does not use a Microsoft Xbox 360 controller to operate the drones. The picture I attached earlier is from the Royal Air Force RPAS (UAV) pilot page.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by hezzlington
Did you even read the links that you sent me?

"The system used to control the planes has been adapted by Lockheed Martin and
although the controller used by the soldiers to fly the plane is very similar to a
Microsoft Xbox 360 controller, it is not the same. You will see that there is no
Microsoft wording on the controller nor a wired headset port"

Our military does not use a Microsoft Xbox 360 controller to operate the drones.

So it's a modified xbox controller?

The pyrosoft link it's referring to looks pretty much like an xbox controller to me.
Original post by JoeTSR
So it's a modified xbox controller?

The pyrosoft link it's referring to looks pretty much like an xbox controller to me.

Yeah it's a modified controller, I'll give you that. The UAVs used by the British Army are tiny, and are not like Reapers (which require those control rooms in the image I attached earlier). It's made out of a foam/plastic material and doesn't operate any weapons. I think it's just for surveillance.

Something as complex as a full size drone would require much more than a USB controller.
Original post by hezzlington
Yeah it's a modified controller, I'll give you that. The UAVs used by the British Army are tiny, and are not like Reapers (which require those control rooms in the image I attached earlier). It's made out of a foam/plastic material and doesn't operate any weapons. I think it's just for surveillance.

Something as complex as a full size drone would require much more than a USB controller.

So the UAVs operated by the Army are not like the ones we operate? You do realise that we operate reapers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest