The Student Room Group

Ngdp lga 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nightwing_
Awesome, well done!! When do you have to do your video interview??

Thanks! Unless I'm being stupid I can't see any further information at the moment...That is literally all it says! I'll update if anything else comes through though. Good luck with yours :smile:
Oh weird. Okay so I just got an email through. It looks as though the "deadline" is 15th February. So basically from first glance, it looks as though you answer questions on video and submit, rather than actually have an arranged skype call or similar. So you can do it at any time of your choosing, until the 15th! Interesting..
Original post by paddy25
Oh weird. Okay so I just got an email through. It looks as though the "deadline" is 15th February. So basically from first glance, it looks as though you answer questions on video and submit, rather than actually have an arranged skype call or similar. So you can do it at any time of your choosing, until the 15th! Interesting..

Oh no, I've heard of other people doing these, sounds horrible, I'd much rather communicate with a real human being!!!

I also just found out I'm through to video interview!!! Good luck all!!
Just go the email. Invited to video interview. Deadline for completion is Feb 15th.
Commiserations to those who haven't been successful, and congratulations to those who are!
Reply 84
Also through to video interview! From the description I expect it's one of those one's where you answer automated questions and they just record your answers, so unfortunately don't get to sit in front of a real person yet!
Also, just in my own experience, I've completed a video interview recently for another scheme where it is just simply recording your answers into a screen. They're not as bad as others had made out, just don't get tempted to look at yourself on screen and make sure you focus on your camera.
Original post by Greens24
Also, just in my own experience, I've completed a video interview recently for another scheme where it is just simply recording your answers into a screen. They're not as bad as others had made out, just don't get tempted to look at yourself on screen and make sure you focus on your camera.

What did you wear? Just it seems like interview clothes would be a bit overkill, but casual clothes would seem a bit to.......well casual!!!
Reply 87
Got through to video interview :smile: really happy but I failed my last one :frown: hopefully this one goes better
Good to see so many of us made it!! I am not feelign too comfortable with the idea of a recorded interview - seems like an odd thing to do, just unnatural in a way! Let's hope it'll not be too bad. i wonder how many people got through?
Original post by Marwin123
Good to see so many of us made it!! I am not feelign too comfortable with the idea of a recorded interview - seems like an odd thing to do, just unnatural in a way! Let's hope it'll not be too bad. i wonder how many people got through?

Yeah, not that it really helps, but I'd really like to know this sort of information, how many people at each stage get though etc.! Although I think the whole process is quite different this year so probably knowing previous numbers wouldn't be that helpful!
Through as well. Not looking forward to this next step at all though. i just want to get in front of a person. Makes me worried about stuff like tone of voice. People can sound funny talking into a Webcam.
(edited 8 years ago)
Congratulations to those that passed. I also just found out that they want me to do the video interview. Too bad you can't prepare for the questions beforehand that would've made the whole experience a lot nicer :smile:)
Reply 92
Oh no, I've heard of other people doing these, sounds horrible, I'd much rather communicate with a real human being!!!

I also just found out I'm through to video interview!!! Good luck all!!

Original post by paddy25

What did you wear? Just it seems like interview clothes would be a bit overkill, but casual clothes would seem a bit to.......well casual!!!

Original post by Marwin123

I know we're technically sort of competing against each other but I recently failed miserably on a pre-recorded interview, so I want to share some tips from my own bad experience!!!!

The main thing was that I massively rushed it. You can see a timer on the screen, which can make you feel a bit under pressure. This meant I spoke really fast and actually ended up with time left over at the end. So one tip would be, speak slowly and try not to stress about the timer.

Also to the person who asked about clothing - definitely dress how you would for an interview. It's not overkill they want to see you show your enthusiasm and to imagine how you would look in the role.

The other things are basic - lighting etc. Last time I did mine at night with the lights on but this time I will definitely do it in the day and find a nicely lit room.

Anyway - good luck to everyone!!! I'm sure it will be fine and it's all learning and practice anyway :smile:
What a load of nonsense. I am not one of those Youtube vbloggers.

I suppose having stock answers for the skills they are looking for is a good start -
http://www.ngdp.org.uk/skills-and-behaviours
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 94
I got an interview too and am freaking out as I thought I failed the tests lol.

I did 3 video interviews before but they were all for jobs in retail.

From my experience (but don't rely on this too much as it could be different) you get 10 seconds to read the question and then 90 seconds to answer it. As someone else said, try not to rush it.

For the retail jobs I had the chance to re-record the answers unlimited times, but I doubt this will be the case.

I am going to wear smart clothes and generally try to look at my best. No idea about the questions but I will definitely use their list of skills to prepare.
Original post by ls123
I got an interview too and am freaking out as I thought I failed the tests lol.

I know right? They were ridiculous, part of me thinks everyone failed the tests so they were just like erm.... EVERYBODY passes :smile:! Well not everybody, but it does seem like a pretty high proportion has!!!
Reply 96
I know right? They were ridiculous, part of me thinks everyone failed the tests so they were just like erm.... EVERYBODY passes :smile:! Well not everybody, but it does seem like a pretty high proportion has!!!

Well I did my tests on deadline day in an Internet café having practised twice haha

High proportion you reckon? How can you tell? I'd hoped most people had been filtered out lol
Original post by ls123
Well I did my tests on deadline day in an Internet café having practised twice haha

High proportion you reckon? How can you tell? I'd hoped most people had been filtered out lol

Well, obviously I can't really tell, it just seems to be that the majority of people on here have passed, though could just be a skewed perception I guess.
Reply 98
Well, obviously I can't really tell, it just seems to be that the majority of people on here have passed, though could just be a skewed perception I guess.

Fair enough, I just really hope I'm not competing against too many people. I am scared!
Original post by ls123
Fair enough, I just really hope I'm not competing against too many people. I am scared!

I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending