The Student Room Group

Muslims aren't the problem, Islam is

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AliRizzo
'and even if I live to be 120 years old I assure you that I will never change my opinion on that'.

But I thought your mind wasn't already mad...
Nvm.

I didn't say that, dearie. Try to keep up. Now I've made my mind up about Islam, but only after I read the quran and hadiths and the vile opinions of Butternuts here and other TSR members. I know enough now to realise what a horrible ideology it is.

Can't wait to see you going onto the ISOC thread moaning about how Muslims have 'already made their minds up about Islam'
Reply 141
Original post by Hydeman
Sure you do, cupcake. :wink:

Well, I am a Muslim therefore studying the Quran is a compulsory part of my faith (quite logically) - and i'm not a violent person, nor have I ever believed in violence therefore if that's what Islam promoted, I wouldn't be a Muslim.
Reply 142
Unfortunately you've joined the party a bit too late, no longer interested in this thread.
He said, replying to a comment in said thread.
Original post by Tee99
Well, I am a Muslim

That explains the rest of your post.

therefore studying the Quran is a compulsory part of my faith (quite logically)

Your personal readings of the Koran do not constitute 'study' of the kind that you claimed in your initial post.

- and i'm not a violent person, nor have I ever believed in violence therefore if that's what Islam promoted, I wouldn't be a Muslim.

This is such precarious logic that you're in danger of getting splinters under your fingernails if you scrape the bottom of that barrel any further.

What gives you the authority to claim that your peaceful interpretation (read: cherry-picking) of the Koran is the true and indisputable interpretation? Your point rests on this assumption, and it's a pretty silly one to make.

In any case, your 'study' of the Koran is clearly not going that well if you're going to insist, as you are, that there isn't any violence preached in the Koran; even the supposedly moderate scholars concede that there is. Only people who haven't actually read the book claim otherwise -- a perfect example of Reza Aslan's (partly false) statement that people don't derive values from their holy books so much as they insert their own values into them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by Butternuts96
I have! In the past! I remember your username; it's very easy to remember. It went on forever because your mind is hellbent on attempting to smear the religion of Islam.
Was that an "I can't", or an "I can't be bothered"?
Either way, not a very convincing rebuttal.

Seriously dude, what do you work as/study?
I am a professional polemicist and iconoclast.

What about you?
Original post by QE2
He said, replying to a comment in said thread.

Wouldn't like to keep you waiting in anticipation for my response now would we? Like a dog waiting for his bone.
Original post by QE2

I am a professional polemicist and iconoclast.

What about you?

Parading those skills on a student forum. I've seen it all now.
clearly if any of who are saying islam is a religion of terrorism etc did some proper research, you'd actually know the truth about the religion. tommy robinson is a nobody to get TRUE information of islam from i'm not surprised, you guys believe everything you read in the media lol, the same media who's aim it is to portray islam as a religion of terrorism
Reply 148
I'm sorry you're a little misguided and seem to think Islam is 'barbaric' but I hope you find the truth one day.✌
It was reading the Quran, sunnah and tafsir that gave me that impression. Like Achaea, I thought that Islam was just a variant of Christianity until all the geo-political stuff about Islam prompted me to find out more.
It was Islam than convinced me that Islam is barbaric, and the statements of people like your brother Butternuts, who blithely explains to us that executing apostates and adulterers is quite reasonable, and to disagree makes you a "Not True Muslim".

Go figure.
Original post by QE2
It was reading the Quran, sunnah and tafsir that gave me that impression. Like Achaea, I thought that Islam was just a variant of Christianity until all the geo-political stuff about Islam prompted me to find out more.
It was Islam than convinced me that Islam is barbaric, and the statements of people like your brother Butternuts, who blithely explains to us that executing apostates and adulterers is quite reasonable, and to disagree makes you a "Not True Muslim".

Go figure.

all the more reason to do some proper research about islam from an authentic and reliable source rather than the internet and judging islam on how individuals act on social media
Reply 150
Then if we do that ourselves, what is the point of people like you commenting? Because you want to fuel and empower the narrative against Islam. Just admit that.
The point is to not let the disingenuity, misinformation and mendacity posted about Islam, not go unchallenged.

As Hitchens said "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity", and much of what Islam teaches is unfair, stupid, or both.
In Islam, marriage isn't valid under any circumstances without explicit consent from both the person involved and her father/brother. Who's an Arabian war lord? Only those with an islamophobic agenda call Muhammed (peace and prayers upon him) these such words. Perhaps have a little respect and simply refer to him as Muhammed (which is at the very least of human decency).

are you actually finding this funny or something? these statements are ludicrous
Reply 152
I study the Quran in an Islamic institution, a part of my sanatain course - a two year course where we learn the teachings of the Quran, teachings of the Hadith, pre-Islamic and Islamic history, Seerah (life of the prophet) and the how to speak, read and write the Arabic language. The reason why I chose to apply to this course was because I wanted to learn about Islam for what it truly meant and I was tired of being confused about my faith every time I turned on the TV. And I'm glad I did, because I haven't come across a verse condoning violence and as you so adamantly insist there is, please show me where?
Original post by sairaaas
clearly if any of who are saying islam is a religion of terrorism etc did some proper research, you'd actually know the truth about the religion. tommy robinson is a nobody to get TRUE information of islam from i'm not surprised, you guys believe everything you read in the media lol, the same media who's aim it is to portray islam as a religion of terrorism

Why don't you actually read the thread rather than jumping in with the tedious and cliched 'you only dislike Islam because of the media'! And where on earth did Robinson come from? Has anyone even mentioned him? No, I dislike Islam because of the quran, the hadiths, the behaviour of Muhammad and the revolting opinions expressed by some members of TSR.

And personally, I think that sections of the media hold back from criticising Islam in way they don't from criticising Christianity.
Original post by sairaaas
all the more reason to do some proper research about islam from an authentic and reliable source rather than the internet and judging islam on how individuals act on social media

Did you not even read his comment? He stated perfectly clearly that he's read the Quran, sunnah and tafsir. Are you going to claim they're not 'authentic and reliable sources'? You know, if you want to debate here, it's helpful to read what people actually say, not what you want them to have said.
I have a few problems with how defensive people are on here, as if they're not even reading the arguments and just shouting 'la la la' with their fingers in their ears.

Islam is definitely intolerant, I mean this is not even up for debate. How can you say 'you can be gay, you just can't act on it'. What form of tolerance is that? How would you know if someone was gay otherwise? Just because it does not punish 'gay thoughts' does not make it tolerant, imagine being told you could think straight thoughts but you just couldn't act on it?

Secondly, as someone who never consumes any Murdoch media I can't see how they are are anti-Islam? Maybe anti-Muslim, which I believe is bigoted and wrong but not anti-Islam. If you want reasoning look up Richard Dawkins.

Thirdly, why not pick on other religions? I do not claim to be an expert on world religion but in terms of massive religions such as Christianity. If Christianity was still in the position it was in the middle ages, I would definitely have a problem with it as well. However with churches in England doing services for homosexual couples, the appointment of female Bishops. It is clear that Christianity is much more modern and subject to change.

How is Islam different from this? Well unlike the Bible which was written by man, Islam claims to be the infallible word of Allah, which means it can't change and it won't modernise. What is it about Christianity that makes it so clear as to not incite terrorist attacks yet everyone seems to keep misinterpreting the Quran?

The fault many make is only tackling arguments about terrorism, yes most terrorists are not Muslims but there are many other issues besides that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 156
Original post by Tee99
Well, I am a Muslim therefore studying the Quran is a compulsory part of my faith (quite logically) - and i'm not a violent person, nor have I ever believed in violence therefore if that's what Islam promoted, I wouldn't be a Muslim.
So you reject the passages in the Quran that encourage or condone violence.

Ah, but the Quran forbids Muslims from rejecting any part of the Quran.

As you are a Muslim studying the Quran, could you tell me how you reconcile these two positions.
Thanks.
Reply 157
Parading those skills on a student forum. I've seen it all now.
Whoosh! (Although, that would be my dream job!)
Original post by Dinasaurus
Islam is definitely intolerant, I mean this is not even up for debate. How can you say 'you can be gay, you just can't act on it'. What form of tolerance is that? How would you know if someone was gay otherwise? Just because it does not punish 'gay thoughts' does not make it tolerant, imagine being told you could think straight thoughts but you just couldn't act on it?

Yeah, imagine how they'd be screaming if they were told 'it's OK to be a believing Muslim, but you can't ever act on it, or you'll be killed'.
Reply 159
Original post by Sgt_Haytham
This is what the Leader of the EDL party, 'Tommy' Robinson, said whilst on The Big Questions back in 2012. Although I do not follow or support his group, I do have to agree to this point.

I watched the 39 minute long video and he was constantly cut when trying to make his points.

Anyway, I do agree that the religion is at fault, not the people who follow it.

What do you think?

No I don't think that the religion is at fault this is simply because nowhere in their holy book does it say to kill I just think that it is the followers taking it way too far and also it is not only Muslims that do these kind of things I mean if you think about it terrorism has been around for along time even before the media stereotyped all terrorists as Muslims and everyone is capable of being a terrorist it is just those people who go down that path whether it is for power, wealth or what it doesn't matter all that matters is that we don't carry on the stereotype that the media has placed that every terrorist is a muslim

Quick Reply

Latest