The Student Room Group

How much do you improve from Year 10 to Year 11?

Just a general question. All stories welcome. Assuming that for your actual exams you have already done mocks and quite a lot of revision, how much improvement do you see from Year 10 to Year 11?
Reply 1
Im in university now but i still remember i improved a lot because it suddenly dawned on me that I i was going to do my GCSE's which was going to effect my life :smile:
Also, is doing some resits for general end-of-topic tests a bad thing? Just did an exam a few weeks ago and got a B and was a mark off an A. Really awful exam that for some reason, probably my incompetence, I couldn't do. As a result, I sat a different paper on the same topic and got full marks. Is that a bad thing? I don't think a B is bad, but shouldn't I have got it right first time?
Original post by Maths465Man
Also, is doing some resits for general end-of-topic tests a bad thing? Just did an exam a few weeks ago and got a B and was a mark off an A. Really awful exam that for some reason, probably my incompetence, I couldn't do. As a result, I sat a different paper on the same topic and got full marks. Is that a bad thing? I don't think a B is bad, but shouldn't I have got it right first time?

Don't be silly it's only an end of topic test :tongue: You are meant to resit them of you do bad, otherwise how would you learn? That's perfectly fine.
you should improve at least a grade an a half or even more.... depends on the work you put in, as well as the attitude and effort.
For me it's been a great amount in some subjects, back in year 10 I got D's in English now I get A's :smile:.
My grades stayed the same for the most part, but that was because I didn't do anything significantly during either year.

I think the key is to realise to do past papers, revise little bits throughout the year (not just stuff you're learning about now but from the previous units) and get a good night's sleep the nights before.
Original post by blueeyes64
you should improve at least a grade an a half or even more.... depends on the work you put in, as well as the attitude and effort.

I just sat a Geography exam that my entire year sat. I think I did pretty well however, my teacher is really tough on marking and all the others are not. In the long run, I'll probably develop more as in the exam I will have a really high level of detail however, I think all my year will get better marks even though they had worse answers just because of the difference in marking. Will this hold me back in the future when it makes me look worse than others even though my answers were much better? I admit, my answers now have ridiculous amounts of detail, but it just never seems to be enough.
Most people don't give a crap in year 10. I learnt what a past paper was in year 12.

If you are revising in year 10 and not getting the grades you probably never will.
I'm in year 11 and most of my grades have stayed the same between the end of year 10 mocks and now tbh. French writing improved slightly, spanish speaking improved, some things went down :/
A LOT! I certainly did anyway. Went from BBC in Unit 1 science in year 10 to A*A*A* in Unit 2/Additional Science in year 11. :smile: In year 11 was the year I learnt how to revise in a way that worked for me.
I got a C in my geography end of year exam in year 10
then I got a high A* in my year 11 mock
but that's the only subject which has significantly changed :tongue:
I just sat a Geography exam that my entire year sat. I think I did pretty well however, my teacher is really tough on marking and all the others are not. In the long run, I'll probably develop more as in the exam I will have a really high level of detail however, I think all my year will get better marks even though they had worse answers just because of the difference in marking. Will this hold me back in the future when it makes me look worse than others even though my answers were much better? I admit, my answers now have ridiculous amounts of detail, but it just never seems to be enough.

maybe you should try making your answers short and to the point when answering questions on papers. The reasons why people lose marks is because they blab on about unnecessary things, shorting the answers and making them more to the point makes the examiner read the answers quickly and give marks easier.
Reply 13
About the same as AS to A2, essentially f**k all
Just a general question. All stories welcome. Assuming that for your actual exams you have already done mocks and quite a lot of revision, how much improvement do you see from Year 10 to Year 11?

In year 10 I got 1 A* 6A and 4B (the only A* being in maths) as my end of year exam grades. In Year 11 I got 11 A* 1A in my actual GCSEs, but it requires a lot of hard work. I am not really naturally intelligent or anything, I just worked very hard and I am sure that you can do really well too if you put your mind to it.
You learn so much more and grow more confident in revision and exams in general. In year 10 it's all about getting to grips with what you have to learn but In year 10 you learn much more content and what suits your specific learning style although it's likely you'll experiment with more than one way of revision.
Zx
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest