The Student Room Group

HELP

I have received unconditionals for both Strathclyde and Glasgow to study English/English literature... But I don't know what one to accept. The course in Glasgow sounds like it would bore me but I also don't want to give up the option of Glasgow. I'm swaying towards Strathclyde but what's the overall opinion on both uni's? Please help!!
Is it possible to accept them both then cancel later? I know that's what you're meant to do for sixth forms.
Reply 2
Original post by xJARSx
Is it possible to accept them both then cancel later? I know that's what you're meant to do for sixth forms.

They only allow you to pick one firm choice and that's it :/ I have until May to decide but I keep changing my mind so want to accept an offer soon
Reply 3
Original post by Emmaduffyy
I have received unconditionals for both Strathclyde and Glasgow to study English/English literature... But I don't know what one to accept. The course in Glasgow sounds like it would bore me but I also don't want to give up the option of Glasgow. I'm swaying towards Strathclyde but what's the overall opinion on both uni's? Please help!!

I have no idea on what the universities are like, but you can always attend an open/offer holder day. These give you a little insight as to the university, and you get a tour (if not, have a look at pictures on their website since you'll be studying & living there for three years!)

Also, is there any way you can see the modules on the course (or for the previous year)? That might sway you to one of the universities :-)

Good luck deciding! And like you said, you've got until May to decide :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ellsy95
I have no idea on what the universities are like, but you can always attend an open/offer holder day. These give you a little insight as to the university, and you get a tour (if not, have a look at pictures on their website since you'll be studying & living there for three years!)

Also, is there any way you can see the modules on the course (or for the previous year)? That might sway you to one of the universities :-)

Good luck deciding! And like you said, you've got until May to decide :smile:

I know I've been checking the websites but there aren't any planned open days at the minute :frown: yeah I've been looking and Strathclyde does sound more interesting but I just need opinions of those who have been to either uni! Thanks - hopefully I decide soon !
If you don't think you'll enjoy the course at Glasgow, go for Strathclyde surely? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Blondie987
If you don't think you'll enjoy the course at Glasgow, go for Strathclyde surely? :smile:

I know but that's just my view after reading the course descriptions on the websites. I want to hear opinions off people who have done either courses and see what they think! The courses might be different than what they're described to be 😋
I know but that's just my view after reading the course descriptions on the websites. I want to hear opinions off people who have done either courses and see what they think! The courses might be different than what they're described to be 😋

I know a couple of people who do English and English literature at Glasgow and they seem to be enjoying it? Apparently there's a lot of reading, like one book a week but that's pretty much all I know, if I get a chance I'll speak to them about it and see what they say :smile:
Reply 8
I know I've been checking the websites but there aren't any planned open days at the minute :frown: yeah I've been looking and Strathclyde does sound more interesting but I just need opinions of those who have been to either uni! Thanks - hopefully I decide soon !

Oh I see :frown:
They might e-mail you with some days, when they eventually come up?

& I forgot to mention, go to google and type in the university along with reviews? So like: "Strathclyde university reviews" or: search on whatuni ( http://www.whatuni.com/university-course-reviews/ ). I know it's not the same as actually speaking to someone, but it's better than nothing? :smile:
Reply 9
I know a couple of people who do English and English literature at Glasgow and they seem to be enjoying it? Apparently there's a lot of reading, like one book a week but that's pretty much all I know, if I get a chance I'll speak to them about it and see what they say :smile:

Yeh I've been warned about the reading but it's what I want to do! I just don't want to make the wrong decision based on what I think!
Reply 10
Original post by ellsy95
Oh I see :frown:
They might e-mail you with some days, when they eventually come up?

& I forgot to mention, go to google and type in the university along with reviews? So like: "Strathclyde university reviews" or: search on whatuni ( http://www.whatuni.com/university-course-reviews/ ). I know it's not the same as actually speaking to someone, but it's better than nothing? :smile:

Thank you! Yeh hopefully they do. And Defo something is better than nothing!
Yeh I've been warned about the reading but it's what I want to do! I just don't want to make the wrong decision based on what I think!

When do you have to decide?
Reply 12
When do you have to decide?

It's not until the 4th of May but I've had the offers since the beginning of December so I'd like to make up my mind soon and accept one of them to put my mind at ease!
It's not until the 4th of May but I've had the offers since the beginning of December so I'd like to make up my mind soon and accept one of them to put my mind at ease!

Don't rush yourself to make a decision, that's not the best frame of mind to make a choice like that. Have you been to any open days where you can speak to the course lecturers and students?
Reply 14
Don't rush yourself to make a decision, that's not the best frame of mind to make a choice like that. Have you been to any open days where you can speak to the course lecturers and students?

Nope there hasn't been any since I started applying for uni so just hoping some come up before May 😕
Nope there hasn't been any since I started applying for uni so just hoping some come up before May 😕

Well i know for Glasgow you can have a look around the campus itself and maybe you can even email the Unis to ask if you can have a quick meeting with one of the tutors? I know that sounds a little more than might be needed but I know all my lecturers have open office hours so I doubt they'd mind? I don't really know tbh you should definitely try to get to an open day before making one your firm and if they've offered you a place then they want you there so I'm sure they'll be able to accommodate you in some way. I'd speak to your teachers about it and they may be able to get in contact.
Reply 16
Well i know for Glasgow you can have a look around the campus itself and maybe you can even email the Unis to ask if you can have a quick meeting with one of the tutors? I know that sounds a little more than might be needed but I know all my lecturers have open office hours so I doubt they'd mind? I don't really know tbh you should definitely try to get to an open day before making one your firm and if they've offered you a place then they want you there so I'm sure they'll be able to accommodate you in some way. I'd speak to your teachers about it and they may be able to get in contact.

Yeah I think I'll do that. Thank you!!
Yeah I think I'll do that. Thank you!!

No problem good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending