The Student Room Group

Bulking up. Tips for nutrition and routines?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by iBall
After seeing some of these responses, I would go to YouTube for some better advice on what to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I tried doing that but couldn't get anywhere. So many videos, so many say different things. If only there was one clear cut way!
Reply 21
Original post by krs141
Train as in what way. Yeah I know form is most important, just want to figure out what kind of routine I set for myself. Properly warm up?

What you mean train in what way? Anyways, I didn't intend to give you much advice on specific routines etc. as I believe your gym trainer should help you exhaustively with that.
Warming up, yes, it's important. Leg day? Hit the cardio machines for at least 5 minutes before. At least. About 5 is usually fine for me though. You wanna do some minutes on the rowing machine if you have one in your gym as well before every training - at least that's what I do.

I suggest you ask your trainer for shoulder warm up exercises as well, if he doesn't give you any. They're very important. If you ever feel pain whilst training your shoulders, stop and ask for advice. I ended up with a small inflammation on both my shoulders; nothing serious, but it's always best to avoid this sort of problems, especially with such a delicate part of your body (shoulders are more exposed to injuries).

Warm up before, but do stretching after too :smile:. It's very useful.

And please don't start taking protein shakes randomly. At least ask for some professional advice before doing that. I personally don't think there's the need to, absolutely not at beginners level, I don't see the point; just eat a lot and make sure your food has nice protein and carb intakes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by krs141
Haha, I tried doing that but couldn't get anywhere. So many videos, so many say different things. If only there was one clear cut way!

The link to the FAQ that Woody posted really does answer your questions better than anything anybody else has posted in this thread tbh.
Reply 23
Original post by Adrono
What you mean train in what way? Anyways, I didn't intend to give you much advice on specific routines etc. as I believe your gym trainer should help you exhaustively with that.
Warming up, yes, it's important. Leg day? Hit the cardio machines for at least 5 minutes before. At least. About 5 is usually fine for me though. You wanna do some minutes on the rowing machine if you have one in your gym as well before every training - at least that's what I do.

I suggest you ask your trainer for shoulder warm up exercises as well, if he doesn't give you any. They're very important. If you ever feel pain whilst training your shoulders, stop and ask for advice. I ended up with a small inflammation on both my shoulders; nothing serious, but it's always best to avoid this sort of problems, especially with such a delicate part of your body (shoulders are more exposed to injuries).

Warm up before, but do stretching after too :smile:. It's very useful.

And please don't start taking protein shakes randomly. At least ask for some professional advice before doing that. I personally don't think there's the need to, absolutely not at beginners level, I don't see the point; just eat a lot and make sure your food has nice protein and carb intakes.

Oh I see, yeah we do so I guess i'll be doing that. Trainer as one of the people who work at the gym? Well I think it's worth it and it's readily available to me so no harm done.
Reply 24
Original post by krs141
Oh I see, yeah we do so I guess i'll be doing that. Trainer as one of the people who work at the gym? Well I think it's worth it and it's readily available to me so no harm done.

lol bro of course you do need to consult the trainer. He'll direct your training. And yes that's what I mean by trainer :P.

Legit only good post in this thread :wink:

I'll go through this at some stage and cry into my keyboard :wink:
Reply 26
Original post by krs141
5 10, We have optimum nutriton, 100% whey at home which I'll prbably use. Should I use it straightaway as in right from the start of going gym

Ok so you're not extremely skinny or anything probably just athletic looking. I would advise using the shakes straight away but don't think the shakes are going to work miracles they just give you the building blocks. You can also get all the protein you will ever need from your diet which will be very important. Fill up on protein and carbs such as chicken, rice and pasta. Also do not skip cardio like some people have mentioned; you are aiming to look good and healthy so cardio is important. Go for a run once a week or preferably play 5 a side football with your friends or something so its more enjoyable. As I mentioned before you should build a solid base with bench and squats before moving on to the 'beach' muscles like biceps.
Original post by Adrono
Listen to the trainer, he'll explain you best, if it's a good gym. They'll usually make you start without isolating the muscles and only after one or two months you'll begin training with the so called splits.

:lolwut:
Reply 28
Original post by hezzlington
:lolwut:

How annoying. Maybe I didn't express myself correctly, I'm not sure what terms you brits use, but I'm convinced you know what I meant.
Original post by Adrono
How annoying. Maybe I didn't express myself correctly, I'm not sure what terms you brits use, but I'm convinced you know what I meant.

If any 'trainer' at a commercial gym makes you start with isolation exercises s/he has no idea what they're talking about.
Reply 30
If any 'trainer' at a commercial gym makes you start with isolation exercises s/he has no idea what they're talking about.

Splits, not isolation exercises. I was talking about splits. Isolation as in isolating body parts for different days. Knew I could find a better term to, but it wasn't that hard to understand, was it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Adrono
And who on earth squats 3x a week?.

not sure if serious
Original post by Adrono
Splits, not isolation exercises. I was talking about splits. Isolation as in isolating body parts for different days. Knew I could find a better term to, but it wasn't that hard to understand, was it?

My point still stands. Simple 3 day a week program utilizing compound movements. Do any damn rep range you have time to do. Who cares. Fit any isolation work around this. Progressive Overload. Fit cardio inbetween if you really want. Eat more calories than you burn. Eat lots of protein. Eat lots of carbs. It's quite simple.

Why would he need to consult a professional regarding the consumption of shakes?
Reply 33
My point still stands. Simple 3 day a week program utilizing compound movements. Do any damn rep range you have time to do. Who cares. Fit any isolation work around this. Progressive Overload. Fit cardio inbetween if you really want. Eat more calories than you burn. Eat lots of protein. Eat lots of carbs. It's quite simple.

Why would he need to consult a professional regarding the consumption of shakes?

Because he doesn't need them. He's a beginner. And I've never contested any of that besides having to put hard work into doing your reps, which is the basics of the damn muscle growth, again. This discussion is pointless as it seems that you just like to boost yourself with nonsense. And I'm serious, average people train legs once a week, including myself. If you do squat 3x a week, good for you - don't pretend it's a common split though.
Original post by Adrono
Because he doesn't need them. He's a beginner. And I've never contested any of that besides having to put hard work into doing your reps, which is the basics of the damn muscle growth, again. This discussion is pointless as it seems that you just like to boost yourself with nonsense. And I'm serious, average people train legs once a week, including myself. If you do squat 3x a week, good for you - don't pretend it's a common split though.

You're giving terrible advice. That's why i'm challenging it. Read the FAQ. The most well known programmes you'll hear of include squatting 3x a week. You're damn right average people only squat once a week.
Reply 35
You're giving terrible advice. That's why i'm challenging it. Read the FAQ. The most well known programmes you'll hear of include squatting 3x a week. You're damn right average people only squat once a week.

Have I ever given any advice on splitting and frequency? Read again, think about your nonsense posts, you're not challenging anything. Besides, I don't see anything wrong with squatting once a week, if you pair that with a full leg workout. And just to be clear once for all: he should listen to his trainer, that's my main point. FAQ's won't help him anyways unless he's thinking of doing home gym.
(edited 8 years ago)
Adrono
Make sure you don't wait too much between sets: your training has to be intensive. I don't stay in the gym for more than one hour and a half, usually.

Define too long?
Reply 37
Original post by WoodyMKC
Define too long?

You're a big joke, you know exactly how long you should rest between sets. And so will any gym trainer. OP, just hit that gym.
Original post by Adrono
Have I ever given any advice on splitting and frequency? Read again, think about your nonsense posts, you're not challenging anything. Besides, I don't see anything wrong with squatting once a week, if you pair that with a full leg workout. And just to be clear once for all: he should listen to his trainer, that's my main point. FAQ's won't help him anyways unless he's thinking of doing home gym.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with squatting once a week. A novice doesn't need to split the body up into days. For example monday - chest, tuesday - shoulders etc.
Original post by Adrono
You're a big joke, you know exactly how long you should rest between sets. And so will any gym trainer. OP, just hit that gym.

I know, but I asked for YOUR answer.

Quick Reply

Latest