The Student Room Group

HELP! Should I carry on with AS Further Maths?

Hi!:smile:

I am in Year 12 and have a really torn position about whether I should carry on with Further Maths.

Today I got back my mock results which I done in January.. and was disappointed with them.:frown:

Overall, I got: Maths/Further Maths: B (solid)
Business: B (solid)
Economics: B (2 marks off an A)

Bearing in mind that my target is AAA and I want to get into one of the top uni's to study Economics, you can probably see why I am worried.:s-smilie:

I am mainly disappointed with the fact that my progress in Maths/Further Maths has been really slow. The first papers we did in class straight after we finished each subject, I got straight C's in except for Stats 1 which I got an A in.

But now, half way through the year, I got an A in C1 only, a fairly low C in C2, a B in D1 and a B in S1. The thing is, I don't even have an excuse of "not revising enough/at all" because I did put in time for each of the subjects to revise for them before the mocks, and spent around 3 hours of revision for each during the Christmas holidays, which makes me feel ashamed of not getting As.:frown:

We are doing S2 and FP1 in class right now, S2 seems quite easy and I like it so far, but FP1 has become a bit harder to grasp.

I realise that maybe my main issue is not putting in enough time into each of my subjects, but it just seems that time is the only thing against me, and that is what I need to get a really good understanding of all the nitty-grits of each subject.

However, because I am taking Further Maths I have less time to spend for each of my subjects, and so I'm thinking of dropping it before it's too late and I won't have enough time to work on Economics, Business, General Studies and my EPQ.:s-smilie:

I am definitely not going to take Further Maths next year, just because of how demanding and time-consuming it will be, but my real question is : is it even worth to take it for AS?
W T F '-' its great! so far!
Reply 2
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
W T F '-' its great! so far!

Really? Thank you! I'm just kinda shaky about if its worth the risk to carry on with Further Maths if I'm going to end up with a B overall in all of my subjects again in summer, and then I wont get offers from the unis I want to go to :frown:
Original post by Emma73737
Really? Thank you! I'm just kinda shaky about if its worth the risk to carry on with Further Maths if I'm going to end up with a B overall in all of my subjects again in summer, and then I wont get offers from the unis I want to go to :frown:

YOU WON'T JUST KEEP PRACTICING!

RULE 5 OF THE HERO CLUB:
you are likely to succeed if you TRY!
so do so :smile:

just keep look at past papers it helps :tongue:
i got BCD in my mocks lol but i know i can pull off an AAB ;p
Well the good thing about taking fmaths is that you can swap modules around
So if you needed an A in maths but only got a high B with the modules for maths, you could swap one of your fmaths modules that you did slightly better in to get it up to an A to meet an offer
Reply 5
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
YOU WON'T JUST KEEP PRACTICING!

RULE 5 OF THE HERO CLUB:
you are likely to succeed if you TRY!
so do so :smile:

just keep look at past papers it helps :tongue:
i got BCD in my mocks lol but i know i can pull off an AAB ;p

Thanks a lot!:smile: I probably need to just stop being a woos :colondollar:, get a grip of myself, start working more and everything will be fine.

Thanks for reassuring me :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by atomicjellyfish
Well the good thing about taking fmaths is that you can swap modules around
So if you needed an A in maths but only got a high B with the modules for maths, you could swap one of your fmaths modules that you did slightly better in to get it up to an A to meet an offer

Oh wow! That's great!:smile: I didn't know that, but say if I do swap some of the modules for an A in maths, would a B in further maths make a uni more reluctant to give me an offer or does it have no effect?
Thanks a lot!:smile: I probably need to just stop being a woos :colondollar:, get a grip of myself, start working more and everything will be fine.

Thanks for reassuring me :smile:

no need to thank me :smile: knowing that im a mad scientist i should help people :smile:
Oh wow! That's great!:smile: I didn't know that, but say if I do swap some of the modules for an A in maths, would a B in further maths make a uni more reluctant to give me an offer or does it have no effect?

I think it depends on which course you apply for - but I would generally think that most universities would prefer the higher grade to be in maths
I was more referring to when you get your results at the end of the second year when you would already have your offers, and if the offer depended on an higher grade in maths than you achieved
Reply 9
Original post by atomicjellyfish
I think it depends on which course you apply for - but I would generally think that most universities would prefer the higher grade to be in maths
I was more referring to when you get your results at the end of the second year when you would already have your offers, and if the offer depended on an higher grade in maths than you achieved

Oh, well I am planning to apply to an Economics course, or the PPE if the university that I apply to offers it. Therefore, Further Maths is only an additional subject that might or might not increase my chances of being offered a place.
So, are you suggesting that it would be good to take Further Maths for the second year too? Because I am not going to do that because of how hard people say it is. Also, I think that my Further Maths AS grades could not be swapped with my A Level Maths grades to boost them up if my second year results for Maths are not as great, if that is what you meant.
So I think the AS Further Maths grade would not have any effect on a conditional offer, but more likely on whether I get an offer at all.
That's what I meant by asking about whether it would actually cause a uni to choose to offer to someone who got AAA in Year 1 over me who might get, say, AAABB.

Quick Reply

Latest