The Student Room Group

2016 Aerospace Engineering Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone interested in Loughborough? Going for an interview on Wednesday... wonder how technical the questions will be
Reply 41
Original post by Pilotgal
Is anyone interested in Loughborough? Going for an interview on Wednesday... wonder how technical the questions will be

Hey I've applied and had an offer to do Systems Engineering. I know that its taught in a different school and everything but, what I've heard is that they won't ask many if at all any technical questions, just questions about your application that they would expect you to expand on. Best of luck of course, tell me how you do?
Original post by Nocky1
Hey I've applied and had an offer to do Systems Engineering. I know that its taught in a different school and everything but, what I've heard is that they won't ask many if at all any technical questions, just questions about your application that they would expect you to expand on. Best of luck of course, tell me how you do?

Thanks for you reply :smile: I had the interview yesterday- it went well, and although I did get asked quite a few technical questions, I wasn't given any maths or physics questions to puzzle out in front of the interviewer. The technical questions I got asked were: How does an aeroplane wing work? What is the difference between military and commercial engines? What makes an efficient engine and how would you make it more efficient? etc, so I had to talk about bypass ratios in engines and aerodynamics...

He also asked a few standard questions, such as why aerospace engineering, why loughborough, what makes a good engineer, that sort of thing. Also questions about my personal statement, and work experience.

Overall it was more relaxed than I feared, and it must have been ok as I got an offer the very next day!

Good luck to everyone else applying this year to aerospace :smile:
Reply 43
I know a friend who is currently doing IFY program and like he is doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry, his predicted grades are A*AA and he going to apply to University of Manchester and Leeds, and I feel those are the best schools in UK for engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Sent my application off on Friday for the MEng at Southampton, Sheffield, Loughborough, Manchester and Nottingham. Predicted AAA after getting AAAAB at AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Pilotgal
Thanks for you reply :smile: I had the interview yesterday- it went well, and although I did get asked quite a few technical questions, I wasn't given any maths or physics questions to puzzle out in front of the interviewer. The technical questions I got asked were: How does an aeroplane wing work? What is the difference between military and commercial engines? What makes an efficient engine and how would you make it more efficient? etc, so I had to talk about bypass ratios in engines and aerodynamics...

He also asked a few standard questions, such as why aerospace engineering, why loughborough, what makes a good engineer, that sort of thing. Also questions about my personal statement, and work experience.

Overall it was more relaxed than I feared, and it must have been ok as I got an offer the very next day!

Good luck to everyone else applying this year to aerospace :smile:

Congratulations on the offer! Can I ask how long was the interview? I've been given an interview at Loughborough and I would love to know how much preparation will be needed. Thanks
Original post by rish_gi
Congratulations on the offer! Can I ask how long was the interview? I've been given an interview at Loughborough and I would love to know how much preparation will be needed. Thanks

It was about 15-20 minutes I think. It does go like a flash! Another thing I learnt when talking to another candidate- make sure you're confident in integrating.
Also learn some standard physics formula if you haven't already, such as kinetic energy, circular motion, etc.
It's mostly about theoretical physics reasoning, where they give you a scenario (such as an aircraft engine) then you discuss the physics theory and Newtonian mechanics to reason answers to various questions.

Best of luck!
I got offer from University of Liverpool and Swansea University. Which one you guy think i should choose. Depend on study environment and job prospect
Original post by Xuancong
I got offer from University of Liverpool and Swansea University. Which one you guy think i should choose. Depend on study environment and job prospect

Hey congrats on your offers mate

If I'm not mistaken @thecatwithnohat knows a bit about Swansea cause she holds an offer for another subject so she might be able to help you there :smile:
Original post by Student403

If I'm not mistaken @thecatwithnohat knows a bit about Swansea cause she holds an offer for another subject so she might be able to help you there :smile:

Thanks alot
Thanks alot

No problem :biggrin: Where are you from? And what do you like most about aerospace?
No problem :biggrin: Where are you from? And what do you like most about aerospace?

I currently study in Oxford. The part i like the most to be honest is "aero" not "space" :biggrin: i really keen on turbine engine
I currently study in Oxford. The part i like the most to be honest is "aero" not "space" :biggrin: i really keen on turbine engine

Oh cool! So would that be commercial engines? I really like jet engines for military aircraft + spacecraft xD

Thanks for the mention. :gah:

Hey @Xuancong

I applied for Software Engineering at Swansea and hold (well held, since I've rejected it) an offer of ABB. What I'd say about the uni is that I would strongly recommend you actually visit because I feel like your thoughts could either completely change or remain the same - it entirely depends on what you're looking for.

I personally think the main things that would draw people to Swansea is the fact that they're basically a few steps away from a beach and the cost of living is okay there, a lot of the buildings are quite modern and are therefore nice to live in. In terms of social aspects, all their clubs are heavily concentrated in one street, so things would probably get quickly repetitive if you're one who likes to go out a lot.

I can't say a lot about the Aerospace Engineering course you've applied for but I assume that they'll soon expect you for an interview? I think there were a few people who applied for Aerospace Engineering in the Swansea Applicants thread and be sure to check it out! I'll tag you to an actual student on the thread (he studies Chemistry) who will be able to give you more in depth and realistic answers of his experience there and to answer any questions you may have. :smile:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Thanks for the mention. :gah:

Hey @Xuancong

I applied for Software Engineering at Swansea and hold (well held, since I've rejected it) an offer of ABB. What I'd say about the uni is that I would strongly recommend you actually visit because I feel like your thoughts could either completely change or remain the same - it entirely depends on what you're looking for.

I personally think the main things that would draw people to Swansea is the fact that they're basically a few steps away from a beach and the cost of living is okay there, a lot of the buildings are quite modern and are therefore nice to live in. In terms of social aspects, all their clubs are heavily concentrated in one street, so things would probably get quickly repetitive if you're one who likes to go out a lot.

I can't say a lot about the Aerospace Engineering course you've applied for but I assume that they'll soon expect you for an interview? I think there were a few people who applied for Aerospace Engineering in the Swansea Applicants thread and be sure to check it out! I'll tag you to an actual student on the thread (he studies Chemistry) who will be able to give you more in depth and realistic answers of his experience there and to answer any questions you may have. :smile:

Thanks for your awesome answer :biggrin:

Congratulations! I also got an offer from Swansea, and went to visit last December. It was a nice campus- the technology/science/management subjects have their own campus, which has everything you want- the beautiful private beach, shops, lecture buildings, cafes, accomodation, etc! It's all very modern and nice.

I rejected my offer, but I would have been happy at Swansea as the course looked really exciting.

I'm afraid I can't offer any help with Liverpool. Best of luck with your decision
Thank you all for your reply. I am very please. I think i will choose Swansea. But are there any chance i can change another university in the future, i have to apply to Swansea due to my predictes grade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending