The Student Room Group

How do you keep on top of uni work?

how do you guys revise?
what is the step-up like from high school?
what part of uni do you find most challenging?

I plan to study business and the thought of uni seems a lil intimidating :c
Original post by Marshmallow9999
how do you guys revise?

1) Flash cards are my main type of revision. I find just reading notes or rewriting notes to be completely useless to me. I have to apply the notes to some sort of question or it won't sink in.

2) high school and university are worlds apart, I cannot emphasis this enough. They're nothing alike. University is about being able to work of your own accord, independently (though also sometimes you may need to work in groups) and be able to challenge yourself because the university isn't going to do it for you.

In school you are spoon fed information and you're always given homework or asked questions to apply your knowledge and you'll be chased up if you do't do work, in uni it's not really like that. Sure you'll have some workshops and you may be given example exam questions. but you're expected to learn almost entirely of your own accord. No one is going to force you to revise and you're not given homework all the time to enforce your learning, you have to motivate yourself to do work throughout the year.

3)I personally find the exams most challenging but that is because I struggle in those types of situations. i tend to do well on practical assessments and assignments, but not so well in exams. Mostly just because of poor memory recall and exam stress.

Not going to lie university can be intimidating and it is a big step up. But if you work hard, are motivated and approach university properly and don't expect it to be a breeze then you can do well. Also think hard about your degree and uni choice and your end goal, a lot of people regret their degree choice because they didn't think it through or they didn't understand what their course would really contain.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
how do you guys revise?

hey im doing business management degree :smile:
Original post by shawtyb
hey im doing business management degree :smile:

where are you studying, how do you find it, and what advice would you give to me for starting a BM degree? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
where are you studying, how do you find it, and what advice would you give to me for starting a BM degree? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

im doing mine at university of essex :smile:
yea im quite liking it, more to it then people realise and it includes the finance and acounting side of things too which i didnt expect.
think outside the box when it comes to group discussions and assessments etc and do not fall behind! thats the biggest point i think.
how do you guys revise?

I go to the library because when I try to work at home I get distracted easily. In the library, I'm intimidated at how hard other people are working so I become motivated to work hard as well, lol. The step-up depends on your course; I don't know how grand the change will be for business, but I'm studying Communication & Media, and the biggest difference is how much independent study is required. We're expected to spend a good portion of our free time completing readings, revisiting lecture content, and working on essays, which is quite different to school where most of the content was provided in-class.

What part is most challenging? Probably staying focused and not procrastinating. Uni is fun, and there is usually a lot to do, so it can be tempting to do all the fun stuff and put work off. However, you really shouldn't because you'll regret it majorly later on! I'm still working on this :smile:
how do you guys revise?

I study Maths at uni.

In terms of revision, Maths is about practice (and learning/understanding some 'theorems':wink:, so looking over examples in notes, then problem sheets, then past papers is the revision method.

The step up, well, the first year helped me to get into the swing of things for uni maths. It treated us as if we hadn't studied the key bits of A-level and so brought everyone up to speed, as well as get used to how to do exams.

It can seem daunting at first, I was quite scared at how hard the work would be but it's nothing impossible.

If it'd ease your mind, it may be worth speaking to a current student at the uni that you want to go to (either on this forum or on an open day or similar) just to get an idea.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by shawtyb
im doing mine at university of essex :smile:
yea im quite liking it, more to it then people realise and it includes the finance and acounting side of things too which i didnt expect.
think outside the box when it comes to group discussions and assessments etc and do not fall behind! thats the biggest point i think.

Is it more difficult than you were expecting? or is it okay to keep your head above water as long as you put the effort in? :-)
Reply 8
Is it more difficult than you were expecting? or is it okay to keep your head above water as long as you put the effort in? :-)

well at this current moment in time i want to stab myself in the eyes but in general its ok :smile:
Original post by shawtyb
well at this current moment in time i want to stab myself in the eyes but in general its ok :smile:

If you want to stab yourself then uni is definitely not okay lol, what are you finding particularly difficult? just the volume of work, or the intensity of it? :frown:
If you want to stab yourself then uni is definitely not okay lol, what are you finding particularly difficult? just the volume of work, or the intensity of it? :frown:

no nothing like that haha just this bit of accounting. im excruciatingly bad at it apparently
how do you guys revise?

Hello,
I study Psychology at the University of Essex.
I revise through making notes on my lectures and using textbooks. There is normally a lot to revise so it's just a case of splitting it into manageable chunks.

The step up from high school is mainly a difference in teaching styles. No one chases you to do your work, there is no kind of mock exams or essays (for me) and if you aren't in a lecture you won't get any kind of repercussion (unless you miss a lot). So it means you have to be really focused and motivated to make sure you get everything done.
The work gets more challenging throughout the degree but it is a definite step up in terms of difficulty. However, you have more time to focus on the subject so it is manageable.

The part of uni I find most challenging is spacing my work. Some weeks I don't have too much work and the next week I might have 2 deadlines to work on. So I would really recommend making yourself a plan of all your deadlines and working out when you will have time to work on them all.

If you enjoy business and are passionate about it then I would recommend University. It is a great experience, I really love the University of Essex.

Natalie.

Quick Reply

Latest