The Student Room Group

Need serious help with choosing my A-level subjects

Soo I'm in year 11 and currently we have to choose our A-levels which'll lead to a future career we have in mind. The problem is that I'm completely stuck on what to take for A-levels. I'm thinking of going towards a career related with international relations, or possibly international business as I find that to be an incredibly interesting as well as fascinating. However the problem is is that for if I want to take a degree in business I have to take maths, which is a problem as I'm unsure on
whether to take it for A-levels due to the gap in difficulty from GCSE to A-level. It also doesn't help that I'm not that incredibly skilled in maths. Also I have a fascination for language and linguistics and I'm interested in pursuing it further, however, the fact that A-level modern languages is regarded as one of the most hardest A-levels to take is putting me off slightly as I don't feel I could keep up with the workload. I've also thought of going down the science route as I like Biology and I tend to do well in all of my Sciences but I'm not sure about whether or not I really want to go down that road. Either way, I've been thinking of all sorts of career paths to choose from and I'm just not too sure. I need serious advice and help on my A-level choices, and they include:

- Biology
- Maths
- Economics
- Government and Politics
- English Literature
- French
- Psychology

I'm sorry that this post is sooo long it's just that I'm incredibly unsure as to what A-levels to choose and I would really appreciate some advice as soon as possible!
A someone who is currently doing A-level, the work is alot harder, with GCSE if you are vaguely intelligent you can get away with doing 0 work but that dosnt work at a-level unfortunately.:frown: This means you have to do what subjects you think you will enjoy else you will fail them because you wont be bothered to do work unless you are more self motivated than me. Languages will not be difficult for you if you enjoy it, it will make the subject easy for you.
I suggest Biology, Math, French and Economics.

I do politics and lit but they don't seem very relevant to you.

And my friend does French, she's getting on swimmingly. As long as you work hard, you'll do fine. Watch lots of movies over summer, read a book or two (I recommend A Little Prince, VERY good). Listen to some French music, Edith Piaf is a personal favourite but there's plenty so you find whatever.

Also, even if you get a B in gcse math, don't let that put you off doing math at A level. Just work on your A/A* topics over summer so when you begin year 12, you'll know what you're doing. They usually do tests at the start to see whether you're capable of doing AS math so be prepared. My friend got a B and he's doing really well (trustttt me though, he worked his butt off for that B in the AS math mocks)

So ye, good luck^_^
Reply 3
Original post by snake27999
A someone who is currently doing A-level, the work is alot harder, with GCSE if you are vaguely intelligent you can get away with doing 0 work but that dosnt work at a-level unfortunately.:frown: This means you have to do what subjects you think you will enjoy else you will fail them because you wont be bothered to do work unless you are more self motivated than me. Languages will not be difficult for you if you enjoy it, it will make the subject easy for you.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely take into consideration the kind of subjects I enjoy as well as the subjects which can help broaden my career choice.
Reply 4
Original post by Punkrockfan
I suggest Biology, Math, French and Economics.

I do politics and lit but they don't seem very relevant to you.

And my friend does French, she's getting on swimmingly. As long as you work hard, you'll do fine. Watch lots of movies over summer, read a book or two (I recommend A Little Prince, VERY good). Listen to some French music, Edith Piaf is a personal favourite but there's plenty so you find whatever.

Also, even if you get a B in gcse math, don't let that put you off doing math at A level. Just work on your A/A* topics over summer so when you begin year 12, you'll know what you're doing. They usually do tests at the start to see whether you're capable of doing AS math so be prepared. My friend got a B and he's doing really well (trustttt me though, he worked his butt off for that B in the AS math mocks)

So ye, good luck^_^

Thanks soo much for the advice, I really appreciate it!
Just a quite questions thoo, you said that you took politics and literature right, so what other subjects do you think fit well alongside those subjects?
Original post by bubblico
Soo I'm in year 11 and currently we have to choose our A-levels which'll lead to a future career we have in mind. The problem is that I'm completely stuck on what to take for A-levels. I'm thinking of going towards a career related with international relations, or possibly international business as I find that to be an incredibly interesting as well as fascinating. However the problem is is that for if I want to take a degree in business I have to take maths, which is a problem as I'm unsure on
whether to take it for A-levels due to the gap in difficulty from GCSE to A-level. It also doesn't help that I'm not that incredibly skilled in maths. Also I have a fascination for language and linguistics and I'm interested in pursuing it further, however, the fact that A-level modern languages is regarded as one of the most hardest A-levels to take is putting me off slightly as I don't feel I could keep up with the workload. I've also thought of going down the science route as I like Biology and I tend to do well in all of my Sciences but I'm not sure about whether or not I really want to go down that road. Either way, I've been thinking of all sorts of career paths to choose from and I'm just not too sure. I need serious advice and help on my A-level choices, and they include:

- Biology
- Maths
- Economics
- English Literature
- French
- Psychology

I'm sorry that this post is sooo long it's just that I'm incredibly unsure as to what A-levels to choose and I would really appreciate some advice as soon as possible!

I'm in Year 12 and I'm doing English Literature, Psychology, Sociology and Politics. I would definitely recommend Psychology - it's one of my favourite subjects, it's so interesting (well, maybe not Research Methods :tongue:). I would also recommend Politics, especially since you're considering international relations. There are one or two topics in Politics that I find a bit boring but there are also some really interesting ones to make up for it - basically, as long as you're interested in Politics you'll be fine with it :smile:

Honestly I really regret taking English Literature, as do a lot of people in my class. I'm finding it really different to GCSE, which I got an A* in, but now I'm mainly getting C's and some B's in my essays. I enjoyed the subject at GCSE and found it much easier then but now I hate it so much. I would definitely recommend doing a language - as long as you enjoy French and put the work in, you'll be fine. Most people at my school are finding Maths much harder than French, despite getting A* and A's in Maths GCSE. Since you're interested in business though, maybe you should take Economics - I don't know much about it though as I don't take it.

So maybe a good combination would be French, Politics, Economics and maybe either Biology or Psychology? I hope I helped :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Purple-Pixie
I'm in Year 12 and I'm doing English Literature, Psychology, Sociology and Politics. I would definitely recommend Psychology - it's one of my favourite subjects, it's so interesting (well, maybe not Research Methods :tongue:). I would also recommend Politics, especially since you're considering international relations. There are one or two topics in Politics that I find a bit boring but there are also some really interesting ones to make up for it - basically, as long as you're interested in Politics you'll be fine with it :smile:

Honestly I really regret taking English Literature, as do a lot of people in my class. I'm finding it really different to GCSE, which I got an A* in, but now I'm mainly getting C's and some B's in my essays. I enjoyed the subject at GCSE and found it much easier then but now I hate it so much. I would definitely recommend doing a language - as long as you enjoy French and put the work in, you'll be fine. Most people at my school are finding Maths much harder than French, despite getting A* and A's in Maths GCSE. Since you're interested in business though, maybe you should take Economics - I don't know much about it though as I don't take it.

So maybe a good combination would be French, Politics, Economics and maybe either Biology or Psychology? I hope I helped :smile:

Ahhh Thanks sooo much! :biggrin: Your input was really helpful and it'll make making my decision at choosing my A-levels easier. But I just have a question, you mentioned that A-level English Literature is quite different to GCSE. Can you please elaborate on what how it was different?
Ahhh Thanks sooo much! :biggrin: Your input was really helpful and it'll make making my decision at choosing my A-levels easier. But I just have a question, you mentioned that A-level English Literature is quite different to GCSE. Can you please elaborate on what how it was different?

That's fine, glad to help :smile: I just found that it's much harder to get a good grade on an essay as you have to structure them differently to how you did at GCSE and go really in depth in your analysis, as well as including a lot of information about context. Also the workload is much larger now in my opinion, which is to be expected from the jump from GCSE to A Level, but it feels like a bigger jump to me than most subjects. In Year 11 we read one novel, studied some poems and did some coursework and that was it (of course we did more work in Year 10 though such as reading two plays and doing coursework) but in Year 12 we've already studied around 25 poems, read one play, and read two novels (one pre-1900s and the other post-1900s) just for AS. I think my school focused more on English Language than Literature though so that may be why I feel this way.

Maybe that's just me though so don't let me put you off if you genuinely really enjoy English Literature :smile: If you know which exam board you would be doing, I would advise you find the specification so you get a rough idea of what you would be doing.
Thanks soo much for the advice, I really appreciate it!
Just a quite questions thoo, you said that you took politics and literature right, so what other subjects do you think fit well alongside those subjects?

well, since I want to go into law, I picked history which helps I think and geography because its easy

- Biology
- Maths
- Economics
- English Literature
- French
- Psychology

Just keep in mind which subjects you find really interesting,try to forget about careers for a second and think which is your favourite. A levels are hard! And you want to do things your interested in, and have an aptitude for as well as what you want a career in. I do 2 from the list of A Levels you've suggested. Biology is incredibly interesting but you have to know every page in the book, but unlike GCSE doing this doesn't guarantee an A* as everyone who wants a A*-C does it. Exam questions tend to be graphs and tables, and will more be a test of logic and also sometimes your understanding of statistics within Biology. But God the theory is fun !

English, I have loved ever since I was 9, and A Level just gets better and better :smile: it depends on the spec, but it is a great subject and develops your essay writing, creative, analytical and interpretive skills. Those writing skills will come in handy, believe me!

And remember, nothing is better than getting good grades in subjects that interest you, as unis will open there doors and a levels will actually be a nice process! Of course, choose at least 2 facilitating to be on the safe side.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Maths/economics and any other 2

Quick Reply

Latest