The Student Room Group

Christian Union Horror Stories (University)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by heineken
Have you tried not believing in the wrong god?

Oh yes, here we go.... are you two in cohoots?
Reply 21
Original post by rjmusical
Yes. I believe and I am a church goer.

So, how are you different from the folks Jesus warned about?
Reply 22
Mate, it's the way you speak. You make yourself sound like you're some big shot Jesus like man. Your questions were patronising and comes across as being judgemental. Perhaps you should rephrase. Apologies for making it sound like I'm not calm. I was just pointing out the obvious and making a point from that. I accuse you, or rather 'falsely accuse you' of nothing.

Sometimes we need to reflect on our own behaviour.

How are you reflecting Jesus? That's what we need to focus on each day, not on other failing people.

We are all failing everyday, none of us are perfect, if we were we wouldn't need the love of Jesus or the saving grace of God.
Reply 23
Original post by NJA

Could ask the same to you.
Original post by NJA

How are you?

I thought your Jesus said to remove the log from your own eyes before looking to remove the ones in the eyes of others.

It is not your place to ask such a question or judge his personal relationship with god.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by StrawbAri
...It is not your place to ask such a question or judge his personal relationship with god.

Show me when I judged!

Paul met people who professed faith, the first question he asked them was whether they had received the Spirit (been "born again") :

"Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?" (Acts 19:2)

Even more "judgemental" in your opinion would be Peter and John who came to Samaria because they somehow knew that the believers has not received the Spirit!

"But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women ... Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost" (Acts 8:12-16)
Original post by NJA
Show me when I judged!

Paul met people who professed faith, the first question he asked them was whether they had received the Spirit (been "born again":wink: :

"Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?" (Acts 19:2)

Even more "judgemental" in your opinion would be Peter and John who came to Samaria because they somehow knew that the believers has not received the Spirit!

"But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women ... Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost" (Acts 8:12-16)

How do you know whether he has 'received the spirit' or not?
Unless you're some kind of ultra holy apostle I don't see it's your in place when the exact same could be asked of you.
They are so cliquey!!
They all come from this 1 church, whose views I dont agree with, so I never went.
My friend used to go, but she said it was too chessy, and just dominated by that church so she's stopped
Reply 28
Original post by Racoon
I think when you become a Christian your PR for God has to reflect your views of Jesus and it has to reflect Him.

If you don't agree with something then in humility you should leave and find somewhere you feel more comfortable.

Or, on the other hand get stuck in and be the pivot to change things.

I don't think that's humility. I think if there's something wrong you have to change it. Especially if what's actually wrong is wrong universally.
Jesus was angry to see what was going on outside the temple. So to by like Him you need to make an effort to make a change.
Reply 29
Original post by StrawbAri
How do you know whether he has 'received the spirit' or not?
Unless you're some kind of ultra holy apostle I don't see it's your in place when the exact same could be asked of you.

I know the same way anyone who simply believes what the bible tells us knows!

There is one gospel, the new covenant has not changed since the church began at Acts 2:4:

"they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."

Peter explained:
"being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he (Jesus) has shed forth this, which you now see and hear " v33

So, that's how Philip, Peter, John and Paul knew that people has not received the Spirit and how they knew precisely when they did receive the Spirit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by NJA

Peter explained:
"being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he (Jesus) has shed forth this, which you now see and hear " v33

So, that's how Philip, Peter, John and Paul knew that people has not received the Spirit and how they knew precisely when they did receive the Spirit.

Agree:smile:

and...

Ephesians 4:3

Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
Reply 31
Original post by Racoon
Agree:smile:
and...
Ephesians 4:3
Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

Yep, the unity of the Spirit comes (1) when we all actually have the Spirit and (2) we are all sticking to what he has revealed
Reply 32
Original post by NJA
Yep, the unity of the Spirit comes (1) when we all actually have the Spirit and (2) we are all sticking to what he has revealed

I think you've gone off track. Please re-read the original post. It was not about someone's personal faith. It's about sharing in suffering.
Reply 33
I think you've gone off track. Please re-read the original post. It was not about someone's personal faith. It's about sharing in suffering.
Ah, well Jesus came to heal and deliver from suffering. If you follow his simple instructions which I have pointed to, you will find the unity (in "the faith" not "personal faith"), love, joy and peace that will continue to elude you while you don't.
Reply 34
Original post by NJA
Ah, well Jesus came to heal and deliver from suffering. If you follow his simple instructions which I have pointed to, you will find the unity (in "the faith" not "personal faith"), love, joy and peace that will continue to elude you while you don't.

You're exactly what the kind of person that will drive people away from Jesus. You're proud. You're narcissistic. And you think you know it all. Please stop what ever your saying.
Reply 35

Just out of interest what difference has knowing Jesus made in your life?:smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Racoon
Just out of interest what difference has knowing Jesus made in your life?:smile:

Quite a bit mate. :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Racoon

Discerning by the tone and the question itself, I understand that you're asking me what difference has me knowing Jesus made only to judge me and my answer, and fire hypocritical statements at me.
You've also have lost the original point. I asked a simple question so that I know I'm not the only one who's in this. I was discriminated by Christians. Is that unity of the spirit?
I posted this so that I know what to speak out about and how to stop this kinda things from happening.
Let's get back to basics.
I've been in Uni for a good few years. The CU just keeps getting worse and worse. They way they treat people, the leadership team, how the leadership team is chosen, no proper guidance, etc. Am I the only one to have an awful CU experience?

I've been brought up as a Christian and I've been a born again Christian for a very long time and my experience at uni has truly rocked my foundations.

Does anyone else have anything to share?

I urge you to please be honest and open. This will not just help me, but a lot of other people who go through this every day.

Just reading this thread has actually been quite interesting. Although I'm a fresher and haven't had much experience of uni, I do also know of many people from my home church that get really stuck into CU. Remember it's not gonna be like church and not everyone is gonna have the same views as you, but the vast majority of christians (apologies for any offence caused) are Bible believing, born again christians that accept Jesus Christ as their saviour and Lord. Everything else should be secondary issues, and as I've learned, it's good to discuss them with people, especially those who have different views and opinions, because sometimes it just helps to let off steam and in some cases improve your friendship, and these things will happen, do you know why? Because it's called "Christian Union" for a reason! Uniting Christians of many backgrounds and beliefs, whether Charismatic or Conservative, or believing something is morally right or wrong. Just remember why uni's do CU, in order of priority:

1. Evangelizing to students in your uni and spreading the gospel. (Because it's a great opportunity)

2. To create a community of Christians so that we can encourage each other greatly. (Including socializing etc)

3. To build ourselves up as Christians by constantly looking at the word and making our faith more of our own as we grow as individuals away from our family. (If you are away from home)

I personally really enjoy CU and know plenty of others that do, and if you feel excluded or that it's not something you enjoy, look at that list and see if it fits, if it does, it might be your problem, if it doesn't, you need to sort out your CU!

P.S. Check out UCCF's website who are responsible for supporting CU's and kinda help set them up all around the country! Hope this helps.
Wow. Some people are so caught up in their own agendas. Preaching at others.
I'm a Christian before you start
Read the original post. The op is asking for the experiences of others , not a sermon!!!
Logs and eyes and all that!!!!
Btw never belonged to cu
My personal advice would be that, if you try it and are not happy, you find a local place of worship that is a good fit and let them support you on your journey.
There are so many denominations it can take a while to find your best fit
All the best and God bless

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending